Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #16
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub
Check out the REI Camp End Table: http://www.rei.com/product/765281

19Lx19Wx18H and folds to 5x25
The only problem with these is I can't get the "top" tight enough to hold anything flat.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #17
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
The only problem with these is I can't get the "top" tight enough to hold anything flat.
I have a more general problem, which is that when I think 'table' I don't really think 'stretched flammable textile'. I want a work surface, something hard and flat and preferably kind of difficult to burn.

The GCI tables with the roll-up (or are they fold-up?) aluminum tops seem closest to anything I'd actually put to good use.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #18
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,298
this gives me quote a few ideas.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Camp...r-Backpacking/

WARNING I got some malware/virus issues from the above link, Ill steal the pictures and share shortly.

mouthfulloflake screwed with this post 07-13-2010 at 07:18 AM
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #19
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,952
I have played around some with racks for my DR. One of them is this here plank of aluminum. I have a tool tube on each side bolted to an L bracket. I can take it off the bike with 4 bolts in just a couple minutes, and set it on the ground (tool tubes are the "legs") making a table that sits about 4" off the ground. Slots in it to strap my duffel bag to it too. Had a friend cut it out on his water jet, put the slight bends in it and powder coat it.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #20
NCK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
This is one of my favorite tables. VERY sturdy, so it should fit your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/NRS-Roll-A-Table/dp/B002UOIK24
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #21
drecian
token asian guy

Oddometer: 101
I just use one of those cheap roll-up aluminum tables from K-Mart. Packs in a duffle along with my chair/sleeping mat/tent strapped across the pillion seat. Just under the width of the panniers and if it breaks, it was only $15 and I can find another pretty much at any store.

Jeff - K75S
drecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #22
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
I use this one

packs in the lid of a jesse and with the kermit chair it is good height etc.

Not very big but for keeping sand and dirt off your mug and breakfast/dinner plate it is handy. Plus using it on a camp table to have a camp light a bit higher and hold other small items is a neat thing.

Before I got my kermit chair pic
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #23
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,220
Great, I think I paid $40 for one of those a few years ago...now K Mart has them for $15! They really are good sturdy tables though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drecian
I just use one of those cheap roll-up aluminum tables from K-Mart. Packs in a duffle along with my chair/sleeping mat/tent strapped across the pillion seat. Just under the width of the panniers and if it breaks, it was only $15 and I can find another pretty much at any store.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #24
Nitzo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot
I use this one

cool.......i ordered the macro last night......
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #25
Nitzo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitzo
cool.......i ordered the macro last night......
came today........................awesome,awesome.....j ust what i was looking for...............thanks ya'll
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #26
lilredroadster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Thumb

Check out Sportsmansguide.com I just picked up 2 tables similar to the REI for $9.97 ea plus ups. They are made for Kelty and fold down to the size of on of the small armless folding chairs . they show $19.97 but if you call in an order they found a listing for the $9.97 price on a closeout.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #27
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka
Seriously, for the OP, Sometimes I've used my taller luggage box as a table while sitting on the shorter one---to cut up some meat or fiddle with the stove. But I've never really wanted a table but not had one and thought, "gee, if only I was carrying a table". I did look at some of the stuff on the Touratech site, pretty slick and some looked compact as well. I dunno. I get pretty feral pretty fast when I camp (heck, at home too). I look for a campsite that has something to work with, Part of the fun is taking whatever you find and with a bit of knowledge and cleverness, making yourself comfortable. If I get into carrying all the comforts (including furniture) of home the endgame is just going out in a motorhome---or a GL1800 at least.
+1. I looked at camping tables and then realised I've never ever missed not having one, or looked at someone else's with envy. No disrespect to those who want to take them, but I honestly cannot think of a situation where I'd use one. I tend to cook in my porch, lying down in the sleeping compartment of my tent. I usually eat the same way. Stove/cans etc. go on the floor. If it's really muddy/waterlogged, they go on top of something that is already dirty/wet on one side (which goes dirty side down) or a carrier bag. Only time I can see myself wanting one would be to play cards on and a card table would be overkill and a thermarest usually makes a reasonable enough stand in.

Still, a lot of people think I'm comfort-hungry for taking a camping pillow. Horses for courses, I suppose. If I were to get one, something that took advantage of the panniers would probably be what I'd go for.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #28
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitzo
came today........................awesome,awesome.....j ust what i was looking for...............thanks ya'll

I love being right

It is a good bit of kit, I wonder if some cool machinist type could make folding extenders for it so it could have the height adjusted even more.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #29
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Table:

traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #30
Blagadán
Kevin

Oddometer: 168
Heres our camp table. I'm afraid I can't tell you where I got it, as it's more than 25 years old, but I wouldn't be without it. It measures 2ft X 1ft X 20 inches high and folds down flat pack to around an inch high.
Heres a pic of my 11 year old son cooking breakfast. Once food is cooked, we remove the stove and theres plenty room for 2 people to use the table top. The wind guard is worth its weight in gold when its used for cooking. Usually we have it set up outside, but it was raining the day this photo was taken.

The wind guard is removable (obviously) and we also use it for sheltering the bbq's.

It aint fancy or pretty, but it sure is functional.

Blagadán is offline   Reply With Quote