User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
SnowMule OP
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,022
Yellowstone via KTM

XC700116 and I took a vacation. Both of us needed some helmet time and to get away from work.
Took off saturday (17 July 10) for West Yellowstone. Sunday morning we loaded up the bikes and headed into the park for the day.

XC

Yellowstone traffic jams... This little bugger had traffic backed up for half a mile...

Approaching Paint Pots

XC

*bloop* *bloop*bloop*splat*bloop*
Old 08-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
SnowMule OP
[angry moth noises]

Then over to Old Faithful.

Lots of people waiting for the show.

"I heard she's not that faithful... sure is old though!"

Me at Old Faithful Inn... Impressive log building.

boofalo... yellowstone rats... suckers are -everywhere-, and everywhere there's buffalo there's a traffic jam.

....and a lot of these shots
Old 08-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
SnowMule OP
[angry moth noises]

XC

Mule

These three had traffic held up for a bit...

...and this is when i put the camera down and got ready to GTFO as her and the two cubs wandered right behind the dirtbikes...

...and up the hill to our right.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
SnowMule OP
[angry moth noises]

Went out the northeast entrance into Cooke City for lunch and MT OHV stickers. Halfway through lunch the power went out

Since we were here, the two of us headed up Daisy Pass where all the good snowmobiling is during the winter. Place looks a lot different without ten feet of snow on it... and without that snow, it's obvious why the avalanche danger here is always so high.

That track up the middle? A snowmobile put that there.

Back into the park, then took the north loop through Mammoth to get back to West. Approx. 250 miles in one day.

Once I got back to work and emailed pics around to family/co-workers... I got an email from one of our other engineers with this story:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE66R5VK20100728
Quote:
Bear attack leaves one dead near Yellowstone

Idaho (Reuters) - One man was killed and a man and a woman were injured by bear attacks in the middle of the night on Wednesday at a popular campground on the edge of Yellowstone Park, wildlife officials said.

Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Department spokesman Ron Aasheim said it was believed one bear was involved and at least two tents were left in tatters in the attack, which occurred at the height of the tourist season.

The last fatal bear attack in Montana occurred in 2001, when a grizzly mauled and killed a hunter who was butchering an elk, Aasheim said.

Wednesday's attacks occurred at about 4 a.m. in the Soda Butte campground in the Gallatin National Forest on the northern fringe of Yellowstone near Bozeman, Montana. It was not known whether a black bear or a grizzly was involved.

Soda Butte, in a park known for its trout fishing, was evacuated and nearby campgrounds were closed, Aasheim said. Wildlife officials used airplanes and helicopters in an extensive a search for the bear.

The identity of those attacked was not disclosed. The injured people were taken to a hospital in Cody, Wyoming.

The Billings Gazette newspaper reported that the woman suffered severe lacerations from bites on her arms, while the injured man was bitten in the leg.

Aasheim said the attacks appeared to be unprovoked, and that the presence of food, which often attracts bears and other wildlife into campgrounds, did not appear to be a factor. Such "random predatory" bear attacks on humans are rare, he said.

An investigation was under way into the attacks.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,310
Enjoyed!!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,116
Good thing you moved from the Grizzlies. Just a last week a Momma attacked 3 campers mauling one of them to death. She was seen walking around with two cubs. Yellowstone rangers captured the Momma, linked her to the attacks, and she was euthanized. Cubs are in the process of being relocated to zoos and out of that ecosystem. Kinda sad but once bears develop no fear and see visitors as a food source it is just too dangerous.

Nice report... Ride Safe...

Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS 550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
GreeKKTiNoS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
GreeKKTiNoS is offline   Reply With Quote