User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Moto Guzzi Norge first impressions

Last year I needed a bigger bike to ride 2 up. My KLR was fun for me by myself but it did not work well with my wife. Here I am with my son at Hoover Dam.
[IMG][/IMG]

So while looking for a bike for my son, I stumbled across a 1982 Suzuki GS 750 with very low miles and in near perfect shape. I took my wife over and we rode around and it was comfortable.
[IMG][/IMG]
I put on a different windshield.
[IMG][/IMG]

So after a year of riding the GS 750, I decided to move up to a bigger bike.
Here are some of the things that I wanted.
Low end power
Upright seating position
Good wind protection
Low seat height
Decent fuel mileage

I looked into BMW's but they seemed to be far out of my price range. I really did not want a Honda ST, or Yamaha FJ or Kawasaki concourse. All of them seemed to be too high for my short little legs.
My friend purchased a Moto Guzzi Breva and let me ride it. Wow! I was hooked.

[IMG][/IMG]

The only problem when riding the Breva at highway speeds, was the wind protection, so I decided to look into the Norge.

After selling the KLR to a family of adventurers, I had room for a new bike.
Here is my new Norge ...
[IMG][/IMG]

Dave at Moto International in Seattle was very helpful and enjoyable to deal with. So I decided to see what the Norge will do. I took it on a short run to Wenatchee to put some miles on before our big couples ride to Montana.

So I went out to Enumclaw and headed up Highway 410 to Yakima.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here I am near the top of Chinook Pass
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I then rode into Yakima and through to Ellinsburg. I met my freind in Quincy for Lunch. We went to his house in Wenatchee for a couple of hours and I then rode home via Bluett Pass and I 90.

Here are my first impressions of the Moto Guzzi Norge.
I love the power. Great right off the line and plenty of passing power even in 6th gear. If I was going 70 mph and I wanted to pass a big semi. I got into the left lane, and rolled on the throttle, and by the time I was around the beast I was doing 90mph. Slow down!
Freeway riding is a dream. It takes the bumps well and the wind protection leaves you with the feeling that you are on a motorcycle but not getting beat up by the wind. No Buffeting of any kind! Some wind here and there but I could get totally out of it by ducking my head down 2 or 3 inches. Then I was forced to look through the windshield, which I did not like.
The cornering was wonderful. I am not an aggressive rider, so I did not scrape the center stand, but I am noticing the tires are scuffed all the way over.
Seat comfort. I have never ridden a 400 mile day before and this was a dream. I did not have any problem with my butt getting tired or sore. Now, I did take plenty of breaks and got off every once and awhile.
Here I am at the outside of CleElum
[IMG][/IMG]

Fuel mileage. So far I have got 45+ MPG That is right there in what I wanted. I have a hard time with a motorcycle getting less mileage than a car...
Looks. I love the looks of this bike. I never wanted a black motorcycle, but this one looks almost midnight blue in the sunlight
[IMG][/IMG]

All in all I am extremely happy with this bike. I am surprised that more people have not discovered Moto Guzzi's
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,450
Wow, that is a beautiful bike! Dave sold me my very first Moto Guzzi, in 1984! It was a Lemans MkIII. I might make my way to a Norge, some day!
Cheers.
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,376
Lovely bike and glad you like it!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sahara

All in all I am extremely happy with this bike. I am surprised that more people have not discovered Moto Guzzi's
Great story and nice bike.
Good luck and congrats.
Actually, a few of us discovered Guzzis a long time ago.
You might want to check them out here.

George
gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
natez1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I like the Norge but am more of a vintage guy and thus was looking at the California Vintage. My question if how was the experience at Moto International? I hear good things on the interweb but always like first-hand experience.How was the staff and Dave, pleasent to work with? answer questions without looking down on you?What was their test ride policy? Thanks for letting me but in and ask.Great looking bike by the way!
natez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
JohnDavid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
This thread makes me want a MG Norge!!!

.... Thanks just what I needed... another bike to lust over.

I am short too. So the Norge fits better than the FJR? I need to go sit on one at my dealer.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Wistrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
I love my Norge 09....Despite the fact I am gonna have to take it in under warranty to have the front engine seal fixed...Oil leak....only other gripe is the heat on my feet when temps are over 95....but a ecu reflash will usually solve that issue

great bike, wife llikes it much better for 2up for than the vfr

Dan
Wistrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
XTrooper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Beautiful bikes, guys!

I'm currently riding a '09 BMW R1200RT, but the Norge really intrigues me. I love the RT, but I'm easily bored and rarely keep vehicles more than 3 or 4 years. When I start looking for a replacement for my RT, the Norge is going to be a top contender.

The only thing that really concerns me is the lack of cruise control. With my old, arthritic hands, cruise is a necessity, not a luxury. Are there good, aftermarket fixes for the lack of a factory cruise control option?

Thanks!
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991)
2011 BMW F800GS - Alpine White
2009 BMW R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)
XTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:34 AM   #9
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Moto International

Quote:
Originally Posted by natez1
I like the Norge but am more of a vintage guy and thus was looking at the California Vintage. My question if how was the experience at Moto International? I hear good things on the interweb but always like first-hand experience.How was the staff and Dave, pleasent to work with? answer questions without looking down on you?What was their test ride policy? Thanks for letting me but in and ask.Great looking bike by the way!

I also recently purchased a motorcycle (Aprilia) from Dave at Moto International and he was great in every way. They have a very liberal test ride policy, good prices and selection. Warning: This is a real motorcycle shop that makes their living by selling and servicing motorcycles. It's not a boutique or an accessory store. Love it!
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 AM   #10
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,037
Oh man I love Norges. Pretty much my dream bike at the moment and has been for quite a while. Congrats on the new ride, it's gorgeous

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
marshrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
What Dog said!
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
ManitouMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
No complaints here!
ManitouMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
That is the best-looking touring bike I have ever seen. I thought I wanted one when they first came out. Now I know I do.
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
XT_Driftwood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sahara
Congrats on the new bike! The Norge is the best looking sport-tourer currently made, IMO. Yours looks great in black! I came very close to pulling the trigger on a leftover '07 a couple years ago. The dealer offered me a great deal but I needed some time to mull it over, and the next thing I knew the dealer had given up the Guzzi franchise. Now I don't know if there is a decent Guzzi dealer in upstate NY at all.
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #15
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
There are people who come from across the country to do business with Dave at Moto International in Seattle. I just had my 600 mile service done and I am happy with the quality of the service. It was a treat for me to watch how everything was done.

Moto Guzzi The OTHER V twin.
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote