User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #31
FutureBoxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Thanks rd!

I've had my eye on the Griso for a while now. One of these days I'd like to join the family.

The Norge is a lovely looking bike though.

Have never been sure how to pronounce it though!! Norje..... Norgay.... Norg... ??
FutureBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #32
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,537
'07 Norge...

First day home with it… Nov ‘07.…

I had surgery on my left foot and did not ride it until April of ‘08... I was able to ski that early February and ride early Spring.

Yes, ice still on the lake… Gotta love those heated grips and Gerbing’s…

Out playing Tag...

Nekked...

I have the prototype Heli-Bars on our Norge…

radzo___

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #33
M@gneto
Esoteric Meanderer

Oddometer: 285
Love the Moto Guzzis.
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #34
radguzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@gneto
Any fire trail or dirt road time with them? How do they handle?
Mine with Dunlop Roadsmarts handles well on thepavement... I do not shy away from dirt roads when I encounter them and depending on surface she does fine.

Not a GS with TKC-80's but it works...

I have other tools for fire roads though...

Old 08-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #35
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
I saw one, and was curiouis about it. I hate bringing a bike into a dealer though.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #36
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpallen
I also recently purchased a motorcycle (Aprilia) from Dave at Moto International and he was great in every way. They have a very liberal test ride policy, good prices and selection. Warning: This is a real motorcycle shop that makes their living by selling and servicing motorcycles. It's not a boutique or an accessory store. Love it!
+1.

Best shop around. Good people. I’ve bought two Aprilia’s from Dave and I live in Spokane where we have (or had) an Aprilia dealer just across the Idaho border at the time I bought them. Dave wrote the book on Moto Guzzi. Quite literally.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:40 PM   #37
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by radguzzi
Oh they can be fine from Mandello however, just a cursory check to insure that the break in period will be enjoyable is all it takes. When they are spot on they're sa-weet.
Mine has been on the 'puter twice in 30K miles and took little adjustment and that was just once for one TB which was slightly out of balance.

I do the valves and all fluids and pay the local dealer to plug it in and check things out, one hour of labor...

Best,
rd
If the dealer puts the bike together correctly when they uncrate it, ensures the fluids are right, any and all recalls or factory service bulletins taken care of and actually ride it around the block to make sure all is well, then there shouldn't be any issue. Unfortunately, some less than knowledgeable dealers have seen fit to scrimp on the PDI and miss stuff that can be annoying and cause the first impression of the Guzzi to be less than stellar. Then again, there are some modifications to some of the bikes to make them handle much better than it is possible to make them handle from the factory. Setting the TPS and TBs is not that big a deal - heck now that I've seen the computer and helped Todd set the TBs on mine (Hey John, hand me that rag!) I'm sure I could do it myself if I owned the software and had a manometer.

Early Norges (early '07s) had a vastly undersized rear spring. The later ones and on are better, but if you weigh much over 170 lbs riding weight, are a spirited canyon carver, or do a lot of 2-up, then you will want to modify the suspension. Getting rid of the Metzlers is the first step. I'm 100% on board with the Road Smarts - made an amazing change in the handling. Next, or maybe first, cut down the center stand stop - the rubber piece that keeps the center stand from hitting the frame. The '07s had one about 1" thick. It only needs to be around 1/4". That give you way more lean clearance. Dragging the center stand can have catastrophic results. Then Todd from Guzzi Tech talked me into the suspension upgrade - HyperPro shock and spring matched to my weight and riding style, HyperPro progressive front fork springs and cartridge emulators. The normal superlatives are inadequate to describe how much better the bike handles. The front end wallow in hard cornering is gone. The front end dive is gone (there is still some compression of the suspension but it doesn't feel like a 1960s Cadillac). The bike sticks to the pavement. The rider is now the limiting factor for handling in the twisties.

Todd is working on me to do the ECU Flash, Power Commander and Auto-Tune mods as well. The tech side of that mod has to do with remapping the ECU through the entire throttle range. The final result is a bike that runs better through the entire RPM range, has more power and runs cooler with optimal air/fuel mixture. The down side is 1 or 2 MPG less economy. I'm still up in the air on that one as it's another $1K. I'm sure it's worth it, I'm just not sure I personally would get $1K worth of improvement for the way I ride.

As a side note, I get much better mileage running hard in the canyons than I do cruising at 75 or so on the freeway - the bike likes running in 4th and 5th gear around 5K RPMs.

Oh yes, and get the 1200 Sport mirrors if the stock ones vibrate too much (mine did) - $51.00 a pair from all the usual sources.

Don't worry if the bike seems to use a bit of oil between oil changes. The Guzzis will find their own "proper" level. Many (mine included) don't like the factory specified amount of oil and will blow out a bit until it gets down to where it wants to be (check the drain line). Then no more is used until the next oil change when the process repeats. What can I say, she's Italian.

I also purchased mine from Moto International. Great folks to work with, and definitely get a copy of Guzziology from Dave (he wrote it). Although it is really more beneficial to those who own older Guzzis, there is enough on the newer bikes to make it well worth the cost, and besides, once you own one Guzzi, you'll probably own another and the book may be even more helpful.

I love mine - did another 200 miles just goofing off today. The bike just runs better and better and always puts a smile on my face.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:22 AM   #38
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 761
Very helpfull info here! I will be checking out a Norge next week as a possible replacement for my LT. How well will this bike fit a tall guy? I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam and wonder if my knees will hit the cylinder heads.
Also what oil is recommended as I do my own service work. I read about certain Guzzi's requiring an exotic oil (15w-60?) which is rather pricey.

Thanks!
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #39
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper
Very helpfull info here! I will be checking out a Norge next week as a possible replacement for my LT. How well will this bike fit a tall guy? I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam and wonder if my knees will hit the cylinder heads.
Also what oil is recommended as I do my own service work. I read about certain Guzzi's requiring an exotic oil (15w-60?) which is rather pricey.

Thanks!
I too picked up a new Norge just last Saturday. It's an '08 demo that had 1057 miles when I first rode it, but had never been sold so it still has all of the 2 year warranty. Haven't had it long enough for a final verdict, but I'm very pleased so far. I've already put the Helibars risers on it as my beat up old body doesn't appreciate as much lean as the Norge was giving me.

You may find the seat to peg distance a little short. I'm 6'0" with 33" inseam and wouldn't mind having a little more room. If it gives me any problems I'll look into lowering the pegs. However, my son matches your measurements and he hasn't mentioned a problem with it.

Recommended oil for the Norge is 10W-60, full synthetic. Available from Motorex, AGIP, and Redline. My dealer carries the Motorex at $15.95/liter. I've also found that it can be purchased directly from http://www.americanagip.com/index.ph...&products_id=6 at $122.86 per case of 12 one liter bottles. It's also worth noting that the service interval is 6250 miles (10,000km), so if you use that interval, the cost is comparable to bikes that require oil changes at 3k miles.

davevv screwed with this post 08-20-2010 at 08:25 PM
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #40
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by radguzzi
[COLOR=#ff8c00]Mine has been on the 'puter twice in 30K miles and took little adjustment and that was just once for one TB which was slightly out of balance.
Is this something you can do you yourself, if you buy a scanner, or do you have to put it on a dyno?

I am pretty resistive about bringing a bike to a dealer, I like to do all my own work. Not to mention its just a nuicance.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #41
ManitouMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:

Thanks!
You will be cramped as peg to seat height is just right for my 30in inseam, knees get a little painful at about 400 miles. There are lowering pegs but I think 36in inseam will be vramped on most bikes, save the new multistrada.
I use Elf 10w-60 that I get online for 7.50 a liter at oilwarehouse, I add a little zinc just in case.
ManitouMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #42
radguzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk
Is this something you can do you yourself, if you buy a scanner, or do you have to put it on a dyno?

I am pretty resistive about bringing a bike to a dealer, I like to do all my own work. Not to mention its just a nuicance.
This is something I could do myself however, the VDSTS unit is a llittle spendy and I can go to a dealer with the latest software for 60 Bux...

The unit I would buy would be for Joe Rider, model specific and could not be re-flashed for updates, I really cannot justify the purchase and then if I did buy it, I'd friggin' with it all the time...

I call, Steve waits at the door, plugs it in, does his thing, I leave...

Best,
Rob

Old 08-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #43
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 761
Thanks for the feedback. Good point about the longer service interval with the synthetic oil, so many years of changing oil @ 2-3000 miles is kind of embedded in my aging mind.

Bent knees don't bother me much if I can keep them tucked in, the test ride will tell the tale.

One more question, where to find a good service manual?
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #44
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Good point about the longer service interval with the synthetic oil, so many years of changing oil @ 2-3000 miles is kind of embedded in my aging mind.

Bent knees don't bother me much if I can keep them tucked in, the test ride will tell the tale.

One more question, where to find a good service manual?
The manuals are available on-line at Guzzi Tech. You are going to want Guzziology from Dave Richardson at Moto International, as well as joining the Guzzi Tech and The Wild Goose Chase - better known as Wild Guzzi. Between those boards you will get more help and information than you might want.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #45
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,788
Wow! I really like the Norge. Couple of questions for you all lucky enough to already own one.

Are the valves screw type? Adjustment interval?
I've put 60,000 miles on a 1050 Tiger in 2.5 years, will the Norge stand up to the abuse? I do all my own maintence and am a professinal wrench, so I'm ok there.

How's the passenger seat? Is it good for all day and multi-day rides? My Wife is 5 foot even and 110 lbs. I'm 5' 7" with a 30 inch inseam.

How's the side cases and can I get a top case for the Wife to lean on?

I'm looking for a simple, low maintence, 2-up Tourer.
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote