Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
switch OP
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
Remove the swingarm and the gear position switch. Grab the end of the shift drum with some pliers and pull back and forth. Is it loose?
No, it is not loose. However... (pics incoming)

I've cracked open the gearbox. To nobody's surprise, the bearings (on the engine side) are a bit loose; not by much, but enough to warrant replacement.

The shift forks show minor signs of wear... except for the 2nd gear fork which looks like it's been worn into pretty badly. Also, the shift drum shows excessive wear on one point along that fork's patch. Guessing 2nd gear is there. There's also some damage to the dogs (apparently 2nd gear never got more than 30% engaged).

Pictures will follow soon (waiting on the e-mail from the mechanic).

Here's a pictorial of a gearbox with damage to 2nd gear.
http://picasaweb.google.com/switch.x...eat=directlink

switch screwed with this post 07-25-2010 at 05:33 AM
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #17
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
3rd gear

I am new to the BMW also and I am having similar problems. I tore it apart like you and found that my gear box doesn't look near that bad, my problem is in 3rd gear. Everything looks good except for the shift fork.

Looks like you have a lot more problems than I do.
Good luck with your rebuild.

Here is my tread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600536

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch
No, it is not loose. However... (pics incoming)

I've cracked open the gearbox. To nobody's surprise, the bearings (on the engine side) are a bit loose; not by much, but enough to warrant replacement.

The shift forks show minor signs of wear... except for the 2nd gear fork which looks like it's been worn into pretty badly. Also, the shift drum shows excessive wear on one point along that fork's patch. Guessing 2nd gear is there. There's also some damage to the dogs (apparently 2nd gear never got more than 30% engaged).

Pictures will follow soon (waiting on the e-mail from the mechanic).

Here's a pictorial of a gearbox with damage to 2nd gear.
http://picasaweb.google.com/switch.x...eat=directlink
Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #18
switch OP
Romanian Trailbiker

Anyone know if I can transplant the shafts from an M94 over to an M97?

What bout the bearings for the M94 rebuild? Anyone knows how to properly replace the bearings on an M94 to bring it to M97 specs?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #19
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,424
Last time I rebuilt my M97 I took the old bearings and the parts book to a local bearing supplier. He sold me FAG bearings for a fraction of the BMW price. The parts book lists the proper size for each bearing.

GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 AM   #20
switch OP
Romanian Trailbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSbiker
Last time I rebuilt my M97 I took the old bearings and the parts book to a local bearing supplier. He sold me FAG bearings for a fraction of the BMW price. The parts book lists the proper size for each bearing.
That's what I'm doing, too. Only I need to figure out what bearings to use with M94 shafts and M97 case.

FAG dealer is willing to help out. All bearings in my gearbox are manufactured by them. Also asked about FD bearing. Looking forward for the answer :)
Old 07-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #21
CHANGELING
Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
When I rebuilt my M97 I replaced all bearings.FAG bearings do work out cheaper but there is one bearing from the output shaft front if I remember well which is a BMW only !! Prepare to bend over and be shafted.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287650

Is my thread from years ago with bearing numbers. The good news is that if you get the shimming spot on it will shift like never before.

CHANGELING screwed with this post 07-27-2010 at 08:50 AM
CHANGELING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:28 AM   #22
switch OP
Romanian Trailbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANGELING
When I rebuilt my M97 I replaced all bearings.FAG bearings do work out cheaper but there is one bearing from the output shaft front if I remember well which is a BMW only !! Prepare to bend over and be shafted.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287650

Is my thread from years ago with bearing numbers. The good news is that if you get the shimming spot on it will shift like never before.
Thanks for the tip. I followed it and...

...the conclusion: I got my bike running again.

I took an M94 box with spotless gears and shafts but a broken frame mount. I bought new bearings for all but the big BMW bearing. That was well within service limits so I decided to keep it. Part numbers, for M94 shafts in an M97 case: 2x 6205, 1x 6204, 1x 6304, 1x 6303.

So right now my bike's got an M94 tranny, rebuilt to spec. It shifts ok (pretty much like before except it now finds all gears and stays there), no improvement. No more skipping or clanking in 2nd gear.

For anyone interested, I've got M97 shafts with good gears - if anyone needs them gimme a holler and we can work things out. All damage was on the 2nd gear fixed cog and the 4th gear mobile cog. Shift forks and selector are toasted.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #23
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,141
You guys that tear into these transmissions are my heroes..
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #24
CHANGELING
Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Excellent news. Sweet riding your bike.
CHANGELING is offline   Reply With Quote