Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #91
classyd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygequinunk
Just wondering here, "D" what is your name, and are you German?
My mother is German and I was just wondering was all.

If you guys want to come up you can camp in my yard or stay in my basement. ( Concrete and semi finished. ) and we can go on some semi local rides on dirt roads and pavement around the area.
But no gear on the bikes for these rides. Not that this would be a rough ride, it is just easier to flick a bike thru turns when not so weighed down.

John.
Yep, it's short for Dietrich, which tends to twist people's tongues in these parts! We'll surely be back up in the area sooner or later - thanks for the invite!

Dietrich
classyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #92
johnnygequinunk
Adventure Traveler

Oddometer: 107
Talking Too funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyd
Yep, it's short for Dietrich, which tends to twist people's tongues in these parts! We'll surely be back up in the area sooner or later - thanks for the invite!

Dietrich
Years ago we had a Yamaha / Suzuki dealer up here in the local town, the dealers name was Dietrich's

Well, nice to have met you.
The invite is always open if you want to stop by for some roladen or potato pancakes my mom always likes to cook.

I hope that you and your "motorad" are in good shape.
johnnygequinunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #93
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyd View Post
Not so much fatigue. I just stopped every here and then because I could not believe my eyes. That's what I call a trail, not a road!!!
(While this is an old thread, someone referenced it recently.)

"Road" is just a legal status. We have unmaintained public roads around here that are much rockier & rougher than that. That it is a public road doesn't ensure any particular level of quality or maintenance, nor number of houses. If the Town were to officially "abandon" the road it would revert to the property owners and public access would no longer be a right, that's how riding areas are lost. Some of the best dualsport riding is on roads like that, the condition keeps the cars off them.

That looks likes a GREAT dualsport road, just that you were a bit heavily loaded. It is plenty wide for motorcycles and ironic that your attempt to stay far from the edge of the sidehill sent you down it!
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.

viverrid screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 04:22 AM
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #94
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
BTW, I agree with the sentiments of some that this wasn't an actual emergency. Nobody was injured (as demonstrated by going for food, & drink not the hospital afterward) and nobody was in danger of death or injury. It was summery day in New York state, not "To Build a Fire" at 40 below in the Yukon. The riders involved were on their way to, and close by, a large rally with hundreds of riders. Even if there wasn't power equipment handy, six of them could have dragged/pushed the bike back to the unmaintained road it slid off of, and the bike was rideable. It could have been recovered the next day and ridden out.

This incident, while entertaining, was only slightly more urgent than finding that Starbucks was closed.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #95
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
BTW, I agree with the sentiments of some that this wasn't an actual emergency. Nobody was injured (as demonstrated by going for food, & drink not the hospital afterward) and nobody was in danger of death or injury. It was summery day in New York state, not "To Build a Fire" at 40 below in the Yukon. The riders involved were on their way to, and close by, a large rally with hundreds of riders. Even if there wasn't power equipment handy, six of them could have dragged/pushed the bike back to the unmaintained road it slid off of, and the bike was rideable. It could have been recovered the next day and ridden out.

This incident, while entertaining, was only slightly more urgent than finding that Starbucks was closed.
Viverrid,
Thanks for your reply. I enjoyed writing the report very much and get a lot of feedback about it to this day.

Over the past 3 years people point to this post when an argument or discussion over the usefulness of the SPOT device comes about. It seems whenever the issue comes up, I am immediately condemned for using it "Inappropriately". That being said, it doesn't matter.

Whether I used the SPOT appropriately or inappropriately, it didn't work under the conditions I was riding under. According to the device, I was transmitting my position and SOS perfectly. In reality, all it did was alert my girlfriend and parents that I might be in trouble and had my last position 60 miles from where I went over the side. If I had been trapped under the bike, alone and seriously injured I would have died while "appropriately" using the SPOT device. They never dispatched anyone.

I'm sure it has it's uses, but off-road riding under the canopy of trees is not one of them. I sold mine for $15 to an inmate