Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #211
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklawrence
This is a good question, so I'll answer it.

I bought a stock windshield from a UK Yamaha dealer and had it shipped to me. It got stuck in New York customs for 6 weeks while apparently they decided if terrorists were now making thin transparent bombs and shipping them from UK motorcycle dealers to US motorcycle windshield manufacturers. .............
Thanks Mark ...now thats what I call an answer.
My next question is.... does it help the passenger (if anyone knows) ?
Virtually all my riding is two up and SWAMBO gets pushed about a lot in the buffeting.
Ray
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #212
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Yamaha tank bag scratched your tank yet???

I received a phone call from cul8rr (Steve) asking if I have had any problems with my Yamaha accessory tank bag scratching the paint on top of the fuel tank.

Steve went on to explain that he went for an extended ride on gravel/dirt roads etc, often at high speed, and upon taking the tankbag off noticed it had "scratched the shit out of the top of the tank"

He was saying it later occured to him that the wind rushing up through the steering column area is also carrying dust and dirt onto the top of the tank.. Next time I contact Steve I will ask him to send me some pics of the damage.

I have never been comfortable with the magnet contact on the steel tank so was pretty keen (after this tragic news) to investigate the clip-on "Bags Connection" alternative.
The Australian/New Zealand SW-Motech / Bags Connection importer, Michael Wilson from www.motorradgarage.com.au , is actually not far from me in Perth (and I used this system on my Ducati) so it's off to visit Michael to do a test fit and stock take... I actually surprised myself how much stock I managed to take while Mike was not looking...

Anyway, suffice to say I found what I was looking for (I should have just looked here in the first place) and I am all kitted up and ready to roll... SCRATCH FREE..

There actually two bags I know of (probably more) for the Super Tenere.
I bought the smaller "City" bag (expandable from 8 to 12lts) and find it does not sit back as far on the tank as the standard Yamaha bag.. I found the standard bag awkward for standing up in the dirt - Right at knob height
There is another bag called the GS (expandable from 17 to 25lts) which appears about the same size as the Yamaha bag but I dont need anything that big.
Edit: I will prabably end up getting this bag as well for "go-away, long runs"

There are two types of engagement rings were the bag connects to the tank without actually bearing load onto the tank surface.. I found that my bag does actually touch the tank (very lightly) at the back on the down hill face but the tank is protected by the tank scuff sticker but it clears the paintwork everywhere else.
Also,,, Heaps of pockets for wallet, glasses etc storage as you can see from the pics.
Check out the website or send Mike an e-mail. Mike was really helpful and at the end of the day the product was at a surprisingly fair price.

Some pics..

Day'um - How tidy is this system??
Flasher than >

One very happy boy now.

Greg.

Wasp screwed with this post 08-19-2010 at 09:28 AM
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #213
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Touring pegz for the SuperTen - These are up your ally Old Git Ray!!

Hey, as noted in my tank bag post above, I was digging around www.motorradgarage.com.au storage facility today,, just minding my own business, doing a stock take,, and I noticed these bolt on forward control type touring pegs.. I have found previously on some long rides that I could plonk my boofy feet on the crash bars (albiet not too comfortably) just for a bit of a change of posture... Sooo, I thought I would try these things out..
They are actually really comfortable as I managed to position them quite a way forward.
They were cheap enough and I actually thought of Old Git Ray about to embark on a long trip with his Bride... Give some of these a try mate.. might be a good thing.

They are actually quite a high quality product in Billet alluminium and anodized.
The pegs is detented up in the stored position with a sprung ball.

Greg.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #214
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

One other Item from todays stocktake at Motorradgarage.

Shit. It just occured to me,,, Michael will probably read this and wonder where the bars came from

Ok, I didnt really steal them but for what I paid I may as well have.
Michael actually had these bars on his own bike and did not like the bend.
I have been looking for a more "open" bend lower bar and as soon as I saw these it was a must have.
A few bucks later and this is the result... Extremely pleased with the garage sit but have not taken it for a ride yet.

I am not sure how these bars differ to the actual units designed for the Super Tenere (these are actually a whisker wider) but Michael will be able to sort out any inquiries..
I havent had a look on the www.motorradgarage.com.au web site yet but I know SW-Motech have them listed for the Super10.

Some pics..
I love the look and feel.

Greg.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #215
rocca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
I received a phone call from cul8rr (Steve) asking if I have had any problems with my Yamaha accessory tank bag scratching the paint on top of the fuel tank.

Steve went on to explain that he went for an extended ride on gravel/dirt roads etc, often at high speed, and upon taking the tankbag off noticed it had "scratched the shit out of the top of the tank"

He was saying it later occured to him that the wind rushing up through the steering column area is also carrying dust and dirt onto the top of the tank.. Next time I contact Steve I will ask him to send me some pics of the damage.
I was deeply suspicious of the potential for scratching with the Yamaha tankbag having had past experience of the abrasive properties of the materials they seem to insist on using at the contact points of such accessories...

No problems so far, however, though from the outset I've been wedging a rubber strip under the front clip and also beneath the strap at the back of the tank - those being the obvious points at which chafing could occur. If the bag is held tight and the magnet is engaged then it really shouldn't be agitating any dust or sand that gets under there...
rocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #216
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
There actually two bags I know of (probably more) for the Super Tenere.
yep, there is "One Bag to rule them All" :-)
We started with the hoplesly Beemer bag (leaking and grossly wetting your maps) then found the Bag of Bags, the Touratech R1100GS bag, the brilliant construction of the windowsticker bottom in onjunction with its form and super simple and adaptable straps have made it usefull on all our bikes, even the Mulhacen and Tricker (250 trialtype of bike)

The bag looks a bit used after 12.5 years of service though :-)

it hooks at the front with two extendable hookstraps, and at the back two fast-e-ners...

At 111 € still one of the cheapest watertight tankbags i know of...
http://tinyurl.com/touratech-tankbag

Although the fillercap fastener looks cool too i must say, but doesnt it go wobbly in fast chacanes so prodded on that stack ?

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #217
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,847
that tank bag look perfect. that's about as factory look as i've ever seen.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #218
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B

What be that black squiggly thing inside the seat height adjuster? I don't have one of those on mine.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #219
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise
What be that black squiggly thing inside the seat height adjuster? I don't have one of those on mine.
looks like a lock of sorts.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #220
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Although the fillercap fastener looks cool too i must say, but doesnt it go wobbly in fast chacanes so prodded on that stack ?
No, absolutely not... The receiver mounted on the bag is a very accurate fit to the tank ring, allhough easy to align because of the horseshoe shape.
There is also a locking spring pin that snaps in to lock the two components as the bag is pushed on..

Greg.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #221
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise
The squiggly bit is a mock up basket of gaffertape and inner tube to keep the foldinglock at bay and springdamped under the seat, very handy lock, a pity Yamaha isn't producing it anymore.

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 PM   #222
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
Hey Greg,

Those handlebars look very interesting... any more info? Do they bring the bars higher and closer to you? any issues with the throttle / clutch / brake lines??

Would you be able to provide a link to where one can obtain them?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #223
obe01
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Hay Greg,
The bike is looking the goods mate, keep it all comming mate...
Cheers,
Johnnie
obe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 PM   #224
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
The squiggly bit is a mock up basket of gaffertape and inner tube to keep the foldinglock at bay and springdamped under the seat, very handy lock, a pity Yamaha isn't producing it anymore.
OK, thanks. I thought it might have been some sort of seat heightner. Not that I need one; I can barely touch the ground on the lowest setting.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:21 AM   #225
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Hey Greg,

Those handlebars look very interesting... any more info? Do they bring the bars higher and closer to you? any issues with the throttle / clutch / brake lines??

Would you be able to provide a link to where one can obtain them?
They are an SW-Motech product called Nonshock Endurance-Bar.
This is the link to there site and all the specs for the Bars:
http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/co...82294587-29523

I cant find the specific Super Tenere unit but I did print out a product list a couple of days ago that shows the part number *LEN.06.156.16000/B

The best bet is to contact Michael at www.motorradgarage.com.au for fitting details + price and availability.

They are a more open bend than the standard bars and the top profile is flatter.. ie: the ends/tips of the bars are forward and up slightly from standard.
The bars are actually lower and set further forward than the standard bars which is what I wanted to try in an effort to get slightly more weight over the front wheel.

Greg.