Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Waterbaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Aftermarket water hoses

I have had a second water hose go on my 03 950 so I have decided to replace
All the hoses with Samco ones, they are on back order for 3 weeks, one more to go, I was just wondering if anybody else has/is using them and what you think of them ,good/bad.
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
silverdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
how come not using oem ktm??
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
weed099
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I am interested in if the Samcos are worth the money. I have not had any problems with my factory hoses, but it is time to replace the waterpump for the second time. Living in Georgia its been around 100 degrees this summer and I was more looking for anything to aid in keeping the temp lower.
weed099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Waterbaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

About 3 months ago I had one of the small hoses go under the carbs I replaced
That with a KTM hose. My second hose went when I was in Spain 2 weeks ago
So I want to replace all of them as Im going back to Morocco in March 2011
I normally use OE but I wanted to fit and forget as some of the hoses are a right pain to get to and Samco hoses are meant to be better then standard for flow and stronger
Old 08-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Central Cali Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
If you search Samco , you will find some info. I know I read once where the bends were not quite right. I was thinking of also "upgrading" as a hose can ruin a trip...
2006 Suzuki SV1000S for wifey Sold !
1997 KLR650 For sale SOLD !!
Central Cali Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
thugdog
Druid Revisionist

Oddometer: 396
My two centavos: Avoid Samco's KTM-12 kit, because it won't fit an "off-the-shelf" LC8 bike. Go with their KTM-13 kit regardless of model or year 950/990.

Their kit for the 950 was dimenshioned for someone with a handmade radiator, and will prove impossible to fit typical 950 bikes. I learned this after well over a year going back-n-forth with Samco supplier, who eventually made good swapping KTM-12 for a KTM-13 kit. I am happy with the effortless fit and function of their KTM-13 kit on my 2004 KTM 950S. Avoid KTM-12 kit! The extra two pieces in its 9-pc are just the overflow tank tubing. The 7-pc KTM-13 is fine. Also you may prefer to source the hose clamps elsewhere, as Samco's were junk. I prefer smooth inside, with rolled-edge, stainless, like those from ABA in Sweden...best worm clamps!

....there's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution
thugdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
cagiva549
whats a cagiva

Oddometer: 2,454
KTM factory hoses are EPDM rubber , it will turn soft if exposed to any oils inside or out . I replaced all the small hoses on my 950 with silicone rubber hose , I will never touch them again . The hoses from the motor to the radiator are form fitted so I used stock hoses but they are easy to change so I can live with that . I have the small hoses , factory stock if anybody is interested . I will see what all I have and put a price on them . SEYA
05 ST3 duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing my geezer ride
cagiva549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Waterbaby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thugdog
My two centavos: Avoid Samco's KTM-12 kit, because it won't fit an "off-the-shelf" LC8 bike. Go with their KTM-13 kit regardless of model or year 950/990.

Their kit for the 950 was dimenshioned for someone with a handmade radiator, and will prove impossible to fit typical 950 bikes. I learned this after well over a year going back-n-forth with Samco supplier, who eventually made good swapping KTM-12 for a KTM-13 kit. I am happy with the effortless fit and function of their KTM-13 kit on my 2004 KTM 950S. Avoid KTM-12 kit! The extra two pieces in its 9-pc are just the overflow tank tubing. The 7-pc KTM-13 is fine. Also you may prefer to source the hose clamps elsewhere, as Samco's were junk. I prefer smooth inside, with rolled-edge, stainless, like those from ABA in Sweden...best worm clamps!
Thanks for all the info I went with the KTM 13 kit and as you said it was a great fit, time will tell if these hoses are better.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby
Thanks for all the info I went with the KTM 13 kit and as you said it was a great fit, time will tell if these hoses are better.
Same hoses for SE as for the adv?
Old 09-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #10
DigiMan
Swedish SOE Rider

Oddometer: 226
Samco is Pricey
$138.24 for the hoses KTM-13
$55.66 CK KTM-13 (clips)

Paved roads bores me to tears....
DigiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,883
I just put a set of SAMCO hoses on my Husky and can say that they are very high quality multi ply silicone.

Have a look at the cross section of one of the hoses and how many ply layers there are:
Old 09-06-2010, 03:46 AM   #12
cagiva549
whats a cagiva

Oddometer: 2,454
The above hose is a silicone hose , they last 20 years on heavy trucks and equipment , good stuff . It cost a couple bucks a foot in bulk from a commercial parts house . The oil change chain stores probly dont know what it is . If the engine to radiator hoses are made of the same material they are worth a few bucks because you will never have to deal with them again . The small hoses are standard 5/8 hose so I replaced all mine from bulk at a cost of a couple bucks worth of material . Useing heavy duty clamps that fit the bigger hose cost a couple hours and a bit of cussing but like I said I wont deal with them again . The KTM hose is EPDM rubber which is about the lowest quality hose available short of something from china or india . Extended contact with oil it will turn to jelly . SEYA
05 ST3 duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing my geezer ride
cagiva549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #13
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagiva549
The above hose is a silicone hose , they last 20 years on heavy trucks and equipment , good stuff . It cost a couple bucks a foot in bulk from a commercial parts house . The oil change chain stores probly dont know what it is . If the engine to radiator hoses are made of the same material they are worth a few bucks because you will never have to deal with them again . The small hoses are standard 5/8 hose so I replaced all mine from bulk at a cost of a couple bucks worth of material . Useing heavy duty clamps that fit the bigger hose cost a couple hours and a bit of cussing but like I said I wont deal with them again . The KTM hose is EPDM rubber which is about the lowest quality hose available short of something from china or india . Extended contact with oil it will turn to jelly . SEYA
Are the two hoses for oil between the oilpump and the oiltank included in the "KTM-13" set?
Old 09-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
thugdog
Druid Revisionist

Nope...coolant loop only...7 pieces...radiator in, radiator out, pump to thermostat, and the four small f-pipe/crossovers: 2 elbows, 2 s-shape.

....there's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution

thugdog screwed with this post 09-06-2010 at 04:11 PM
thugdog is offline   Reply With Quote