|08-22-2010, 03:10 AM||#1|
In need of repair
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sabastian (‘Gus’)
What’s this thread about:
I’ll use this thread to document my rehab of Gus. Padmei’s doing it, why can’t I? And hopefully we’ll get a community of GS / airhead owners here.
This is what Gus looked like when I bought him in Jul 10.
And the second picture shows what he looked Jul '13.
Gus is a bastard in a number of senses. Old vehicles need names. Cursing a thing just doesn’t seem right. It’s always a bitch or bastard. And Gus is positively geriatric.
Why I bought Gus:
I’m a long time airhead fan, having owned a ‘78 R100RS, (there's a separate thread on that now), ‘83 R80ST, ‘86 R65, & an ‘88 R100RS. In the ‘90’s my wife & I travelled Europe on the ’78 RS. We spent about 3 yrs alternatively working in London, then travelling the summer months. The trip back home was supposed to be an extended tour through Africa. I actually purchased the ST for that trip, bought a Acerbis 43L plastic tank for it, but alas it was not to be. I wrecked the RS when a van did a u-turn on me, and then the couple we were to go with had a head-on with a minicab. The consolation prize was a trip to the South of France, & then home. Both the RS & the ST were imported back to NZ, but in a moment of madness I sold the ST to allow the purchase of a lounge suite. Which is now almost dead…
I’ve had a couple of goes at getting a GS since, but this hasn’t really worked out. The last white RS was supposed to be one, & the KTM 640a was close (in a sort of ‘Paris Dakar’ way). The KTM was a brilliant bike, but my experience was KTM parts support was lacking. Whilst I am sure the whole package would do big miles, portions of the bike seemed to be higher maintenance then I am used to (Hi ClintNZ & Warewolf!!).
One thing I missed with the KTM was the ability to load either Katherine or Mandy on the back & to go out for a day trip. The KTM was really a one person bike.
Airhead GSs have been on my Trademe favourites list a long time now. I’ve seen a few cheaper GS’s come up (Newguy, Barrie & Padmei). Padmei, you don’t know how lucky you are to have your bike. My finger hovered over the buy now for quite a while the night before you bought it…I have finally decided that I needed to build the bike I had lusted after for 20 yrs.
So where is this heading?
I have agreed with Mandy that I can spend the proceeds of the KTM sale on Gus. Given where the NZD has been against the Euro, GBP & USD I decided to buy some of the larger items now rather than wait. So I have ordered a bunch of parts from Motobins to allow repair of Gus & the RS, Touratech pannier racks & a 43l Tank (I like big tanks & I cannot lie...), to change the handlbars & risers, & have ordered an Ohlins shock from Robert Taylor at CKTechnical. Robert's price has been comparable to import (before freight & GST!), but I get the shock build to my specs.
The wishlist is somewhat more advanced....
To make this thread a bit more manageable I have started & will expand on an index - green text are links. For much of the maintenance & modification I haven't always included links, largely because this happened over a number of posts or pages & may be predominantly text.
Index of Maintenance
- Replacing the carb throttle pivot o'rings
- Replacing front wheel bearings
- Do you need to improve your R100GS rear brake? How?
- Replace a spoke in the rear cross lace wheel
- Fork oil replacement (standard forks)
- Discussion of Emulators in standard GS forks
- Replacing a head gasket & replacing the camchain
- Re-ringing Gus, & putting in 9.5:1 Pistons. Part one / Part two
- Replacing the rear Main Seal, & Oil Pump o'ring
- Breaking into the gearbox Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6
- Replacing the battery
Index of Modifications:
- List of modifications / upgrades to date
- Shifting the oil cooler from the crash bars
- Fitting the HPN Tank
- Nissin 4 Pot Brake Conversion
- Fitting Pivot Pegs
- 48mm KYB fork conversion
- Discussion on replacement sidestands
- Discussion of Emmulators in standard GS forks
- Wiring in resistors to remedy hyperflashing indicators
- Fitting a Baja Designs 8" headlight unit & a Trailtech Vapor Speedo Unit
- Hardhead rocker cover protectors (replace crashbars)
- Modifying the rear brake pedal to improve leverage, & therefore braking capacity
- Changing to the exhaust back from a two into two, into a two into one - using a SV1000 left hand muffler
- Carb float bowl breather mod to give a higher wading depth.
- Replacement LED Tail Light
- Getting a replacement Rego Plate
- Building a front wheel (new Excel Takasago Rim & spokes) & servicing the forks
- Servicing an HPN oil cooler thermostat
Index of day trip ride reports:
- Odlins Rd diversion. Akatarewas, Nth Island
- Sutherlands Hutt (Aorangi Forest Park), May '11, associated video clips - South Wairarapa, North Island
- Takapari Rd (Nth of Palmerston North) Jul '11 - Ruahine Ranges, North Manawatu, North Island
- Ocean Beach Ride Aug '11, & ICU breakdown. South Wairarapa, North Island
- Ocean Beach in the Rain - Wairapara Sept '11
- The Ride Of The Steves - Sutherlands Hutt & Ocean Beach, Wairarapa Nov '11
- Ocean Beach 2 up with Mandy Boxing Day '11
- Ocean Beach with Shewolf NZ, 2nd Jan '12
- Ride into the Mangatooks, Kapiti Coast, 4th Jan '12.
- Dusty Butt Pre Ride - Glendhu & Flat Point, Wairarapa, 15th Jan '12
- Two Fatties & A Skinny Take On Odlins Rd (Waiotauru Rd - an ex logging road / track) - Akatarewas, 4th Feb '12
- Ocean Beach with EddieB - South Wairarapa April '12
- MAD (Makairo, Aikitio, Dannevirke) Wairarapa, 30th Sept '12
- Odlins Rd, Akatarewas, Upper Hutt, North Island. 25th Nov '12. Fell off, broke some ribs, punctured a lung...
- Ocean Beach 26th May '13. Back in the saddle again...
- Ocean Beach & Onoke Spit 6th June '13 with Manakau_KTM (Wayne)
- Hinakura Rd, Riversdale Beach, Castlepoint Beach & Pack Spur Rd (paper road), Wairarapa 30th June '13
- Castlehill Rd / Puketoi Rd (non maintained road) / Daggs Rd - Bideford. Wairarapa 21st July '13
- White Rocks & Tora, South Wairarapa, 1st Sept '13
- Sutherlands Hut & Onoke Spit 20th Oct 13
- Takapari & North Range Road (North Manawatu, North Island) 16th Nov '13 . It must be November, I've broken some ribs again.
- Glendhu & Admirals Rds, Wairarapa. Dec '13.
- Rimutaka Pylon Track & Ocean Beach 22 Dec '13
- Visiting (but not riding) Pukemanu Adventure Ride, Martinborough, South Wairarapa, 23rd Feb '14
- Sutherlands Hut Track, Aorangi Forest Park, South Wairarapa. 26th April '14
- Martinborough / Riversdale Beach / Puketoi Rd, South Wairarapa. Sun 4th May
- Takapari Rd, Ruahine Forest Park, Pohangina Valley, 1st June '14
- Puketoi Road & checking the Makara Track, North Waiararapa 27th July 2014.
- Not the Distinguished Gentlemans Run - Wellington, Oct '14
Index of multi day ride reports
- Cold Kiwi Sep '10 - Central Plateau, Nth Island
- 42nd Traverse, Old Whanga Rd, & Kiwi Rd Nov '10 - King Country, North Island
- Clarence River Reserve Feb '11 here, here, & here. Kaikoura East Coast Sth Island, & Reefton, Sth Island
- Easter Trip Away Apr '11, North Island - Taumaranui, Whangamomona, Taupo, Lake Waikaremoana, Gisborne & back to Wgtn
- Cold Kiwi, Old Whanga Rd, & the 42 Traverse Sept '11 & here. Video of the 42nd rockwall here. Central Plateau & King Country, Nth Isld.
- WAR. Waiouru Adventure Ride, Waiouru Miltary Training Grounds, Dec '11. Day one, day two, & day three
- RRRR 2012 (Round Ruahine Range Reversed (Part One) & Part Two - 24th & 25th Mar '12
- East Cape Airhead Ride, East Cape North Island, 20th - 23rd April '12. Days Three & Four here.
- MMMM 2012, July 2012, East Cape North Island
- Aborted Cold Kiwi attempt Sept '12
- Cape to Cape ride. Cape Egmont to East Cape, 25th - 28th Oct 13
- Top Of The South Ride - 29th Jan to 2nd Feb. Rainbow Station & Molesworth, including the Lake Sedgemere to Severn Track. Edwards Pass. Braeburn Track, Porika Track & the Maruia Saddle. Clarence River Reserve. The Molesworth.
- The MMMM 2014. 15th & 16th Aug. The Ride Up & Day One, Day Two, & the Ride Home
- Cold Kiwi 2014. 5th-7th Sept, Horopito, Central Plateau, North Island. Ride Up, Cold Kiwi Rally & the 42nd Traverse, The Ride Home
- Cape to Cape 2014, North Island NZ, Oct '14. The ride there & day one. Day two & the ride home
- Bannockburn Bike Week. South Island NZ, 24th Jan - 8th Feb '15. Part One Wgtn to French Pass, Nelson, Murchison (Maruia Saddle), The Rainbow to Hamner Springs. Part Two Hamner to Clarence River Reserve, then down to Ashburton, Part Three Ashburton to Cromwell. & The Nevis, Part Four Thompsons Gorge Rd, Hawksdun Loop, The Old Dunstan Rd, Track from Alexandra to Cromwell, Part Five Mt Difficulty, Cromwell, to Home, via the West Coast & Nelson.
- What really dumb things have you done in the garage
- Airhead Philosophy
- Link to the CC Products performance upgrade article (twin plugging, compression increase & rejetting an Amercian GS)
My '91 R100GS thread is here
My Ride photos are here
It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits screwed with this post 02-14-2015 at 12:52 AM Reason: Restructuring front page & adding index
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|