|08-22-2010, 02:10 AM||#1|
In need of repair
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sabastian (‘Gus’)
What’s this thread about:
I’ll use this thread to document my rehab of Gus. Padmei’s doing it, why can’t I? And hopefully we’ll get a community of GS / airhead owners here.
This is what Gus looked like when I bought him in Jul 10.
And the second picture shows what he looked Nov 11.
Gus is a bastard in a number of senses. Old vehicles need names. Cursing a thing just doesn’t seem right. It’s always a bitch or bastard. And Gus is positively geriatric.
Why I bought Gus:
I’m a long time airhead fan, having owned a ‘78 R100RS, ‘83 R80ST, ‘86 R65, & an ‘88 R100RS. In the ‘90’s my wife & travelled Europe on the ’78 RS. We spent about 3 yrs alternatively working in London, then travelling the summer months. The trip back home was supposed to be an extended tour through Africa. I actually purchased the ST for that trip, bought a Acerbis 43L plastic tank for it, but alas it was not to be. I wrecked the RS when a van did a u-turn on me, and then the couple we were to go with had a head-on with a minicab. The consolation prize was a trip to the South of France, & then home. Both the RS & the ST were imported back to NZ, but in a moment of madness I sold the ST to allow the purchase of a lounge suite. Which is now almost dead…
I’ve had a couple of goes at getting a GS since, but this hasn’t really worked out. The last white RS was supposed to be one, & the KTM 640a was close (in a sort of ‘Paris Dakar’ way). The KTM was a brilliant bike, but my experience was KTM parts support was lacking. Whilst I am sure the whole package would do big miles, portions of the bike seemed to be higher maintenance then I am used to (Hi ClintNZ & Warewolf!!).
One thing I missed with the KTM was the ability to load either Katherine or Mandy on the back & to go out for a day trip. The KTM was really a one person bike.
Airhead GSs have been on my Trademe favourites list a long time now. I’ve seen a few cheaper GS’s come up (Newguy, Barrie & Padmei). Padmei, you don’t know how lucky you are to have your bike. My finger hovered over the buy now for quite a while the night before you bought it…I have finally decided that I needed to build the bike I had lusted after for 20 yrs.
So where is this heading?
I have agreed with Mandy that I can spend the proceeds of the KTM sale on Gus. Given where the NZD has been against the Euro, GBP & USD I decided to buy some of the larger items now rather than wait. So I have ordered a bunch of parts from Motobins to allow repair of Gus & the RS, Touratech pannier racks & a 43l Tank (I like big tanks & I cannot lie...), to change the handlbars & risers, & have ordered an Ohlins shock from Robert Taylor at CKTechnical. Robert's price has been comparable to import (before freight & GST!), but I get the shock build to my specs.
The wishlist is somewhat more advanced....
To make this thread a bit more manageable I have started & will expand on an index - green text are links. For much of the maintenance & modification I haven't always included links, largely because this happened over a number of posts or pages & may be predominantly text.
Index of Maintenance
- Replacing the carb throttle pivot o'rings
- Replace a spoke in the rear cross lace wheel
- Fork oil replacement (standard forks)
- Discussion of Emulators in standard GS forks
- Replacing a head gasket & replacing the camchain
- Re-ringing Gus, & putting in 9.5:1 Pistons. Part one / Part two
Index of Modifications:
- List of modifications / upgrades to date
- Fitting the HPN Tank
- Nissin 4 Pot Brake Conversion
- Fitting Pivot Pegs
- 48mm KYB fork conversion
- Discussion on replacement sidestands
- Discussion of Emmulators in standard GS forks
- Wiring in resistors to remedy hyperflashing indicators
- Fitting a Baja Designs 8" headlight unit & a Trailtech Vapor Speedo Unit
- Hardhead rocker cover protectors (replace crashbars)
- Modifying the rear brake pedal to improve leverage, & therefore braking capacity
Index of ride reports:
- Cold Kiwi Sep '10 - Central Plateau, Nth Island
- 42nd Traverse, Old Whanga Rd, & Kiwi Rd Nov '10 - King Country, North Island
- Clarence River Reserve Feb '11 here, here, & here. Kaikoura East Coast Sth Island, & Reefton, Sth Island
- Easter Trip Away Apr '11, North Island - Taumaranui, Whangamomona, Taupo, Lake Waikaremoana, Gisborne & back to Wgtn
- Sutherlands Hutt, May '11, associated video clips - South Wairarapa, North Island
- Takapari Rd (Nth of Palmerston North) Jul '11 - Ruahine Ranges, North Manawatu, North Island
- Ocean Beach Ride Aug '11, & ICU breakdown. South Wairarapa, North Island
- Cold Kiwi, Old Whanga Rd, & the 42 Traverse Sept '11 & here. Video of the 42nd rockwall here. Central Plateau & King Country, Nth Isld.
- Odlins Rd diversion. Akatarewas, Nth Island
- Ocean Beach in the Rain - Wairapara Sept 11
- The Ride Of The Steves - Sutherlands Hutt & Ocean Beach, Wairarapa Nov '11
- WAR. Waiouru Adventure Ride, Waiouru Miltary Training Grounds, Dec '11. Day one, day two, & day three
- Ocean Beach 2 up with Mandy Boxing Day
- Ocean Beach with Shewolf NZ, 2nd Jan '12
- Ride into the Mangatooks, Kapiti Coast, 4th Jan '12.
- Dusty Butt Pre Ride - Glendhu & Flat Point, Wairarapa, 15th Jan '12
- Two Fatties & A Skinny Take On Odlins Rd - Akatarewas, 4th Feb '12
- RRRR 2012 (Round Ruahine Range Reversed (Part One) & Part Two - 24th & 25th Mar '12
- Ocean Beach with EddieB - South Wairarapa April '12
- East Cape Airhead Ride, East Cape North Island, 20th - 23rd April '12. Days Three & Four here.
- MMMM 2012, July 2012, East Cape North Island
- MAD (Makairo, Aikitio, Dannevirke) Wairarapa, 30th Sept 2012
- Odlins Rd, Akatarewas, Upper Hutt, North Island. 25th Nov
- What really dumb things have you done in the garage
- Airhead Philosophy
My '91 R100GS thread is here
My Ride photos are here
It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 06:31 PM Reason: Restructuring front page & adding index
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|