ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #301
NoBull
Lovin my new KLR
 
NoBull's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Golden,Colorado
Oddometer: 256
Recent trip to Alaska

This is at Fish Creek just north of Hyder
Attached Images
 
__________________
The letters "MC" are stamped on your driver's license right next to your sex and height as if "motorcycle" was just another of your physical characteristics, or maybe a mental condition.
http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1af24c443ce447f90
NoBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #302
Tefloncandy
Oximoran
 
Tefloncandy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Rogers, AR
Oddometer: 176
Recent Talimena, OK Ride

__________________
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" George S. Patton
Tefloncandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #303
Skitch
Riding the range
 
Skitch's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: BFE, NM
Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnsfxr
The Michellin's have a more rounded profile than the Bridgestones which are more of a "V" profile. This will slow your turn in some and take a bit of the sporty away.

I'm trying out the Conti Road Attacks, similar profile as the Bridgestones but they seem to be wearing less. I've taken it down to the pegs and they feel secure.

Time will tell, but a few others who have similar rates of corner speeds are getting 1-1.5k more from the Contis than the Bridgestone's

YMMV
I have yet to break 7k on a set of the 020's. Not really looking for greater mileage, just trying to find a tire that is a little more planted on the slab (my 13 suffers from a bit of high speed wobble). I found the 020's took some break-in before feeling OK...not great...but OK on the slab. I love the twisties, but sometimes you got to slab it to get to them. I'm going to try the PR2's, and see if they give me more confidence at high speeds. If they suck in the twisites, I always have the VStrom...
__________________
Skitch
'07 R1200RT, '06 VFR800A, '08 SV650SFA, '05 CRF250X
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #304
vnsfxr
BornAgainDirtyRider
 
vnsfxr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Lake County California
Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch
I have yet to break 7k on a set of the 020's.
4-4.5k with the BT's and they are bald on the sides.........dual compound tire would not work for me.

I do run single compound Pilot Roads on the Ducati GT and they work great, even acceptable at the track, of course you have a 280 lb weight difference.
__________________
Socialism – Tax dollars at work for those who don’t
vnsfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #305
rifflebox
Yee Haw!
 
rifflebox's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Gold Country
Oddometer: 201
New (Used) ST1300

I picked up this '06 last week. These are awesome road touring bikes. I went over Ebbett's pass in California this weekend, a 380 mile trip. The bike has terrific power and cornering abilities, not to mention a really nice power-adjustable windscreen and tons of on-board storage. It's not a 450EXCr but it is an great tool for long distances on the open road. I ride it up and down my dirt road so maybe it qualifies as a dual sport!

__________________
rifflebox
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650A
'10 Honda NT700VA
rifflebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:41 AM   #306
Skitch
Riding the range
 
Skitch's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: BFE, NM
Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifflebox
I picked up this '06 last week. These are awesome road touring bikes. I went over Ebbett's pass in California this weekend, a 380 mile trip. The bike has terrific power and cornering abilities, not to mention a really nice power-adjustable windscreen and tons of on-board storage. It's not a 450EXCr but it is an great tool for long distances on the open road. I ride it up and down my dirt road so maybe it qualifies as a dual sport!


Good looking bike...love the top case...enjoy!
__________________
Skitch
'07 R1200RT, '06 VFR800A, '08 SV650SFA, '05 CRF250X
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #307
rolarosa
Adventurer
 
rolarosa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Edison, NJ
Oddometer: 83
Nice st, eye balling that nice seat! Do you know who made it, looks custom?
rolarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:35 AM   #308
Steelybeast
Studly Adventurer
 
Steelybeast's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Ellijay & Suwanee, Georgia
Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch
What tires our you guys with the 13 liking? I've run two sets of BT020's, but this time around I'm leaning toward Michelin Pilot Road 2's after reading a bunch of good reveiws on 'em.
Thanks.
I am on my 3rd set of Pilot Road 2's and like them. My riding tends to lean more towards touring than sporty so the harder center give me more mileage. When they get a lot of wear on them, the center will be much more flat than round and you can feel it some when you need to lean into a curve. Not a lot, just seems like a little more to get it over the slight edge to the sides. This is about the time they need replacing though.

I get about 9000-9500 miles out of a set and the front could go about 1000 more, but I just change them both at the same time.

99% of my riding on this bike is two-up fully loaded so I would expect solo riding would get more miles out of them.
Steelybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #309
Skitch
Riding the range
 
Skitch's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: BFE, NM
Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelybeast
I am on my 3rd set of Pilot Road 2's and like them. My riding tends to lean more towards touring than sporty so the harder center give me more mileage. When they get a lot of wear on them, the center will be much more flat than round and you can feel it some when you need to lean into a curve. Not a lot, just seems like a little more to get it over the slight edge to the sides. This is about the time they need replacing though.

I get about 9000-9500 miles out of a set and the front could go about 1000 more, but I just change them both at the same time.

99% of my riding on this bike is two-up fully loaded so I would expect solo riding would get more miles out of them.

Sounds good. Thanks for your input. I'm still waiting on my set...backordered thru early Sep. I'll let you all know what i think when I finally get them on.
__________________
Skitch
'07 R1200RT, '06 VFR800A, '08 SV650SFA, '05 CRF250X
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #310
Skitch
Riding the range
 
Skitch's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: BFE, NM
Oddometer: 1,490
Well, turns out the back order date for the PR2's went further to the right, so I'm going to try a set of the new Metzeler Z6 Interac's. Anyone got any input on them? I ran Z6's and Z4's with good luck on my older ST1100's, so I'm hoping this improved Z6 will be to my liking.
__________________
Skitch
'07 R1200RT, '06 VFR800A, '08 SV650SFA, '05 CRF250X
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #311
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #312
tbirdsp
REMF
 
tbirdsp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Nebraska
Oddometer: 8,600
You can't ride that big pig on a gravel road!

Hey, did that rack some with it? I haven't seen one like that in years (including the one that's buried in my basement somewhere)
__________________
Mike S.
'09 Bonneville Black
AMA MSTA STOC
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...orcycleriders/
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #313
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
You can't ride that big pig on a gravel road!

Hey, did that rack some with it? I haven't seen one like that in years (including the one that's buried in my basement somewhere)
Naw, it came with this crappy top box. That worked good for a while, but I realized that I missed having a good ol' rack that I could tie stuff to. I bought the last one from Turbocity a month or so ago. I'm liking it.
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:50 AM   #314
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer
 
Brad Felmey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch
Well, turns out the back order date for the PR2's went further to the right, so I'm going to try a set of the new Metzeler Z6 Interac's. Anyone got any input on them? I ran Z6's and Z4's with good luck on my older ST1100's, so I'm hoping this improved Z6 will be to my liking.
I hated my Z6s with a capital "H". Made the bike wander terribly on the highway at speed.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #315
Skitch
Riding the range
 
Skitch's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: BFE, NM
Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Felmey
I hated my Z6s with a capital "H". Made the bike wander terribly on the highway at speed.

Well, I figure they can't be any worse at wandering than the BT020's i have on now. Wish the PR2s were in stock, but i have to get some rubber on this bike soon...I'm down to the cords on the rear. WX is too nice to be looking at the bike! Hope to have them on by mid-month...I'll let you know what i think.
Ken
__________________
Skitch
'07 R1200RT, '06 VFR800A, '08 SV650SFA, '05 CRF250X
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014