Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
dunno_where OP
130km open roads!

Oddometer: 302
Day Trip Report - Biloela, Eidsvold, Cracow, Theodore.

Hey all. This is my ride report from the weekend of the the 4th September 2010.

We didn't get away from Biloela Caltex until 0745hrs (DRZ wouldn't start and i left my camera at home) and headed out via Meissner's Rd. Followed this out all the way to behind Thangool. Went up Maggacisis Rd and McLaughlins Rd and turned up Jubbs Rd. We followed this and discovered it ended up at a fence and a set of cattle yards and some very worried and curious cattle. Turned around and followed Lookerbie Circle Rd.

This is were the trouble and navigation got a bit hazy. I do alot of work out these road and knew were i was..until now. It was the new frontier for both of us. (the other rider was my gf's father) Note to other's... Moretti's Rd is actually called Harami Rd. This stuffed us up a few times. We followed the directions I got from google maps the best we could but this was invain. Half the time it was a flip of the coin.

Up some dirt road we travelled. Stopped to adjust my chain tension on the DRZ and had some smoko. Decided the road wasn't going the direction we wanted and turned around. We found a tree with a reasonably new plaque mounted to it which read, "The above spike marks the flood level of 5th February 1971." The spike itself was about 2m above the ground. Should of marked the spot on the eTrex but forgot to.

Further on we rode over the Nogo River a few times along some old but well maintained bridges. This was my favourite part of the trip. Alot of burning off had recently been done with some piles of timer still smoldering. We followed the Eidsvold/Monto Development Rd down a winding hill with great views and suprisingly well maintained roads.

With time and fuel running out, we decided to head for Eidsvold for fuel and lunch. We then hit the bitumen road to Cracow which was about 95km. Past Cracow we turned off onto the Isla Delusion Rd and had a look at "Cracow Beach". Nice spot to have some lunch if you ever head that way. Followed the road through palm trees and creeks and came out about 20km Tarrom side of Theodore. Headed back to Theodore via the bitumen.

My original plan was to head up Castle Creek Rd outside of Theodore and head back to Biloela via the Belmont State Forest on Shawlands Rd and back along Crowsdale Camboon Rd. With my patience and lack of confidence with the GPS and the downloaded directions we headed back to Banana and then onto Biloela via the 95km of bitumen.

I was hoping more people would of come but in hindsight, that was prob a good thing. The day was hindered by the lack of updated maps and refences and the GPS having a hissy fit every now and then but all in all it was a great day. I saw some places i had never seen and prob won't see again. Sections i liked i would love to see again on another trip .

I have learnt a few things though. The DRZ 400 seat is very uncomfortable after 550kms. Standing up were i could was a great feeling of relief and freedom. The DRZ also has good fuel economy and the larger 17Ltr tank did help with the lack of fuel stops. I want to go again but enjoy myself this time and not worry about dead ends, wrong signage, GPS problems and a sore butt.

Next time, I hopefully will have the KLX650R... can't wait.
(once i work out how to put photos up, i upload them to here)

2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS Sport-Tourer
dunno_where is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
dunno_where OP
130km open roads!

Oddometer: 302
You can find a few photos from our day trip by clicking the links below:

2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS Sport-Tourer

dunno_where screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 12:47 AM
dunno_where is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
BusyWeb