Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #31
lcseds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I'll jump in here quick like also. I have a 09 Silverwing ABS that is mostly for my wife and I ride a Suzuki cruiser. Although I grab her bike often because it's so much dang fun.

Anyone that says ABS is only for wet roads, or that it is faster braking without ABS simply, positively has not used it (to it's potential anyway). I dare anyone to find me a person that has ABS, and had a chance to really test it, that wished they had regular brakes. It's not about wet pavement if you can lock up any wheel on dry pavement during hard braking. On the Swing, with balanced braking and ABS, my wife can grab a handful of brake levers and squeeze as hard as she can without worrying about front or rear lockup which would surely cause a wreck. Seasoned riders and instructors will tell you to apply the brakes as hard as you can but not to the point of wheel lock. Ever try and pull that off when a car pulled in front of you and you have to react in a split second? Yep, lockup and accident. Practice braking all you want, but ABS will help save your bacon more than your skills when it counts.
I will NEVER buy another bike that lacks ABS. Never.

Can't say anything about the TMAX, because it does not meet my criteria as stated above. Looks good though, and if it ever was offered with ABS, I'd give it a long look.
lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #32
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcseds
I'll jump in here quick like also. I have a 09 Silverwing ABS that is mostly for my wife and I ride a Suzuki cruiser. Although I grab her bike often because it's so much dang fun.

Anyone that says ABS is only for wet roads, or that it is faster braking without ABS simply, positively has not used it (to it's potential anyway). I dare anyone to find me a person that has ABS, and had a chance to really test it, that wished they had regular brakes. It's not about wet pavement if you can lock up any wheel on dry pavement during hard braking. On the Swing, with balanced braking and ABS, my wife can grab a handful of brake levers and squeeze as hard as she can without worrying about front or rear lockup which would surely cause a wreck. Seasoned riders and instructors will tell you to apply the brakes as hard as you can but not to the point of wheel lock. Ever try and pull that off when a car pulled in front of you and you have to react in a split second? Yep, lockup and accident. Practice braking all you want, but ABS will help save your bacon more than your skills when it counts.
I will NEVER buy another bike that lacks ABS. Never.

Can't say anything about the TMAX, because it does not meet my criteria as stated above. Looks good though, and if it ever was offered with ABS, I'd give it a long look.
+1 on everything you said.
(And we get ABS on Tmax here, but the damn thing costs more then
a Bandit 1250 ABS).

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #33
VerlynNofzinger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Can someone advise where I can purchase the mirror block off plates for the Yamaha T-Max scooter? I tried sending an Email to a website that listed them but the Email came back as undeliverable.
VerlynNofzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #34
round the block don OP
soreass

Oddometer: 129
So here's what we got.....

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I ended up buying the Tmax for my wife. Not because I thought it was better or even more suited to her needs or even a better deal. She prefered it because of the graduated licensing sytem we have here in this neck of the woods. Her license allows her to ride a bike of 550 cc's or less, anything bigger and she would have to retest. The thought of that stressed her out so we went for the Tmax. Of course if I hadn't felt both bikes were suitable, I wouldn't have let that be the deciding factor.

All that being said, she loves the Tmax. She feels much more confident on it than she did on her GS500 and we have had some nice outings on it, though no trips yet. From my perspective, as someone with quite a bit of bike experience, it's a hoot to ride and I'm impressed by its performance and hi-way capability. A taller windscreen would help some but that's common with a lot of bikes. Overall, we couldn't be happier with it, and I suspect we'd have been happy with the S'wing too. They're both good, just a little different in design and purpose.
round the block don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #35
MQracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by soreass

I think the resale on the Honda would be better because the Silverwing is better known and conjurs up images of a mini-goldwing whereas the TMAX is largely unknown and many people might tend to group it, unfairly, with a Burgman 400, or whatever, and think of it as not in the same class as the Silverwing.

But, I do want to buy the bike that will be the most enjoyable, easy and safe to ride.

IMO you should not be so quick to discount the Burgman 400 (or the Majesty and BV500).

There's been more than one rider who have gone from say a Burgman 650 to a Burg 400 with joy and delight. The 400 is lighter and easier to handle and really does not give up much in the way of real world performance.

I've done several hundred mile days on my 400. It'll cruise with comfort at 75 mph on the interstate. I've hit close to an indicated 90 mph more than once.

I'm also very fond of the Silverwing. It's a great Maxi. A classic in my view. But not at the expense of shortchanging either the Burg 400 or the Majesty (to name just two other alternatives).

My hunch is that if either yourself or your wife had some actual experience on either the majesty or burg 400 you would not have been so quick to make such a unfortunate statement.

MSL
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1963 SHL M11 Lux

MQracing screwed with this post 09-05-2010 at 07:23 PM
MQracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #36
round the block don OP
soreass

Oops, my bad.

True, I have no scooter background and agree: bigger does not mean better. Lighter and more manoeuverable can mean more fun and no offense intended to all the happy riders on Burgman 400's or whatever else you choose.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #37
spotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by soreass

All that being said, she loves the Tmax. She feels much more confident on it than she did on her GS500 and we have had some nice outings on it, though no trips yet.
This doesn't surprise me at all... I work with numerous current and former mc owners and they all make comments along the lines of "i don't see how a scooter could be more manageable than a mc / less stable than an mc /etc" and, having ridden 2 scooters and 2 mcs of various sizes, I can't help but look at them like this

motorcycles are a lot of things scooters aren't, but manageable isn't one of them lol.

Glad you guys are enjoying the purchase!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #38
blitz02rus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
tmax isnt so comfortable as silverwing and hasnt so much space for luggage, its an ultimate city rider.
burgman400 is very balanced ride, but if you tried tmax you wont even look at burg.
blitz02rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #39
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
One factor of concern to me is the type of construction used on the steering head in Maxi Scooter chassis. My former mount; the Majesty, uses a single triple-tree mounting to attach the front fork tubes to the steering head.

My current ride; the Burgman Exec, uses double triple-trees as are used on most motorcycles:

http://home.people.net.au/~vortexau/Pics/Majesty400Chassis.jpg
(800x533 bare Majesty chassis)

http://www.max.grenkowitz.net/res/Wh...miStripped.jpg
(800x532 Burgman 400 see-through image)

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/d/3426...ed_burgman.jpg
(450x300 Burgman 650 frame) double triple-clamps; although there is a lot of clutter in the way.

http://www.yamaha-motor.pl/designcafe/en/Images
/tmax_naked_01%20PS%20huge%20left_tcm71-227257.jpg
(750x1200 front view of TMax; showing double triple-clamps)
Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #40
round the block don OP
soreass

I'm sure someone will correct me here if I'm wrong, but I expect the Tmax also has double triple clamps as it is the most motorcycle-like of any of the maxis. Sure handles like a bike.