User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #2011
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust
I'm moving four states away and not to someplace easy to bring the bike with me... so it's on the sale block.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post13051656

If anyone is watching this thread who wants one, check it out. If you guys have friends who want one; send 'em there. She finally runs just the way I wanted it to this whole time, and now it's time to sell. Irony? Yes, but oh well.

Help on the sale is appreciated.
Thanks guys.

Oh, and if someone wants to take up the informal DR650 index from me, just shoot a PM..
I think (considering the state of the economy) that probably your price is a bit ambitious. I understand it, but I don't think it'll sell for 2 grand.

As I understand your CL ad, you're moving to like Illinois to try to look for work? Umm, is IL any better than where you are now? Kinda tough everywhere. I'm hoping to get a regular driving gig after the current seasonal work ends. Don't want to go back out on the road--hope I can get local. But we do what we must, right.

Anyhow, good luck--ya seem to be a good guy and I, for one, will be pulling for you.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #2012
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
I think (considering the state of the economy) that probably your price is a bit ambitious. I understand it, but I don't think it'll sell for 2 grand.

As I understand your CL ad, you're moving to like Illinois to try to look for work? Umm, is IL any better than where you are now? Kinda tough everywhere. I'm hoping to get a regular driving gig after the current seasonal work ends. Don't want to go back out on the road--hope I can get local. But we do what we must, right.

Anyhow, good luck--ya seem to be a good guy and I, for one, will be pulling for you.
Thanks man; I know it's ambitious. At this point I'm taking offers, dreaming of riding to mexico, and considering selling a lot of extra gear and tools with the bike to downsize/unload and max the income at the same time. Thanks for the good vibes!

And no, I have something lined up in IL all ready. I'm lining up work in Colorado to move from IL to there next. My leaps of faith have been small when it comes to work. And yes indeed, we do what we must!
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #2013
Curtie223
Gap Wookie

Oddometer: 12
Completely Frustrated

Hey guys, I am in need of one of 2 things. Either a complete bottom end that has not been taken apart. The side covers, clutch basket, clutch ect. I have But would like the shifter assembly, balancer, and counter balance shaft assembly together. this is for a 90 or 91. Or........a spare motor. year wont matter for me if it;s the whole motor. Mine does not have electric start but if your bottom end or spare motor has one that would be just fine......well more than fine. lol

Here's what happened to me. I bought this 90 dr650s from a 1 owner. Garage kept. never seen rain, never been off road! Mint bike with fresh top end. He had alot of work done to the top end but when he got it back it was making a noise in the bottom end. So I got this and got a bottom end with complete gasket set. As I have the original motor completely tore down and the other bottom end bolted to the frame. I start to notice things about the other bottom end. Like Non factory silicone on the case......someone has split this case. Then noticed there was no bolts in the case.........got everything bolted together got the clutch basket and everything on the right side put together with no problem. On the right side they the balance shafts really lose with the chain off and some missing bolts. I took some off the original and fixed that. Then had to put all the shifter shaft components together, and my new front sprocket, put the cover on then the shifter................went to check the shift and nothing.......completely locked up. finally got it to free up but when moving it up or down and what feels like clicking into gear the sprocket spins freely........So I have decided this is a sign and I need to start all over. Please help.
Curtie223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #2014
inire
Browncoat symp

Oddometer: 412
Pity you arent any closer- i have a 1991 that needs a new Papa and the motor is solid and complete. I did change the balancer chain after i got it years back coz the PO after the OO was a jackass who didn't know about adjusting the balancer.

Im loathe to part this as i have it for sale locally as a daily runner...good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtie223
Hey guys, I am in need of one of 2 things. Either a complete bottom end that has not been taken apart. The side covers, clutch basket, clutch ect. I have But would like the shifter assembly, balancer, and counter balance shaft assembly together. this is for a 90 or 91. Or........a spare motor. year wont matter for me if it;s the whole motor. Mine does not have electric start but if your bottom end or spare motor has one that would be just fine......well more than fine. lol

Here's what happened to me. I bought this 90 dr650s from a 1 owner. Garage kept. never seen rain, never been off road! Mint bike with fresh top end. He had alot of work done to the top end but when he got it back it was making a noise in the bottom end. So I got this and got a bottom end with complete gasket set. As I have the original motor completely tore down and the other bottom end bolted to the frame. I start to notice things about the other bottom end. Like Non factory silicone on the case......someone has split this case. Then noticed there was no bolts in the case.........got everything bolted together got the clutch basket and everything on the right side put together with no problem. On the right side they the balance shafts really lose with the chain off and some missing bolts. I took some off the original and fixed that. Then had to put all the shifter shaft components together, and my new front sprocket, put the cover on then the shifter................went to check the shift and nothing.......completely locked up. finally got it to free up but when moving it up or down and what feels like clicking into gear the sprocket spins freely........So I have decided this is a sign and I need to start all over. Please help.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #2015
Curtie223
Gap Wookie

Thanks alot for the offer. Don't really need a whole bike unless a good enough deal. I have replaced almost everything on this bike it's like new......Hard to believe a 90 model being like new. lol But it really looks good. how far are you from me?

Curtie223 screwed with this post 09-08-2010 at 08:04 AM
Old 09-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #2016
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Thanks man; I know it's ambitious. At this point I'm taking offers,
I don't know if you want to put it on ebay either. Someone is selling 2 1990 dr650's in running condition (not perfect looking) and a trailer to haul them for $1100.
Almost makes me want to get them for spare parts, which he also has lots of in the deal.

I understand where you are coming from. Honestly, I don't plan on selling mine, and if I did, I would still want the price I paid for it, which was $3699 not including tax and prep.
Then again, mine is mint with lots of goodies on it. If no one offered me the price I want, oh well, I'll just have to keep it and it will be an antique in less than 5 years.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #2017
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtie223
Thanks alot for the offer. Don't really need a whole bike unless a good enough deal. I have replaced almost everything on this bike it's like new......Hard to believe a 90 model being like new. lol But it really looks good.
PICS???

Here's mine: http://www.bikepics.com/members/sbg1/90dr650/

More current photos with yellow forkboots, and I recently added a new extended "pilotscrew/fuel-airscrew", stainless allen bolts on the carb, and stainless allen bolts on the header shield. I also changed the carb gasket and polished the bowl to the point it looks like it should be on a show bike.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DR650/...unt=20&dir=asc

SBG screwed with this post 09-08-2010 at 08:02 AM
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #2018
Curtie223
Gap Wookie

^Nice!
Old 09-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #2019
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Oddometer: 398
Laugh

Trust,

Check your sales topic!
[Mods done] 1 1/8" handlebar - KLR650 Shock on DR650s - ZX-10R directionals on DR650s - RMZ450 muffler on DR650s - Acerbis Mollsoft taillight - Trailtech Vapor – Twin Air - Metzeler Tourance - Tusk sealsavers - more to come
puntoMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #2020
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Question Clutch Noise

So, all the time I was complaining about some engine noise, besides the sound it normally makes, I found out it has something to do with the clutch. When I squeeze the clutch, the noise gets less, when I release the clutch it start to make noise like something is out of balance, like a disc that is mounted to an axle and the hole in the disc has some play with the axle.

Now, before I rip the hole thing apart I would like to be prepared as it's my only transportation. The gasket needs to be replaced but that will take years to get here, so, can I use liquid gasket on the side covers or are the walls of the engine covers to thin for that? Anything else I should be prepared for? Any one had this noise before? What tools should I buy also?

The bike has just 15.000-16.000 miles on it and the clutch isn't slipping.

EDIT: In the service manual they show a special tool to hold the clutch body while removing the main locknut; Any way to do this without that special tool? The only "problems" I had with my bike were springs and seals that were just not up to spec any more, could it be that it's just the darn four clutch springs that are just not up to specs any more?
[Mods done] 1 1/8" handlebar - KLR650 Shock on DR650s - ZX-10R directionals on DR650s - RMZ450 muffler on DR650s - Acerbis Mollsoft taillight - Trailtech Vapor – Twin Air - Metzeler Tourance - Tusk sealsavers - more to come

puntoMX screwed with this post 09-09-2010 at 01:36 PM
Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #2021
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,198
Impact gun is how I got it off. Zap that thing so hard/fast with the gun it doesn't have time to think about moving. You can also improvise a tool - I've done that in the past but the gun was faster. If your springs are out of spec I presume the clutch would slip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puntoMX
So, all the time I was complaining about some engine noise, besides the sound it normally makes, I found out it has something to do with the clutch. When I squeeze the clutch, the noise gets less, when I release the clutch it start to make noise like something is out of balance, like a disc that is mounted to an axle and the hole in the disc has some play with the axle.

Now, before I rip the hole thing apart I would like to be prepared as it's my only transportation. The gasket needs to be replaced but that will take years to get here, so, can I use liquid gasket on the side covers or are the walls of the engine covers to thin for that? Anything else I should be prepared for? Any one had this noise before? What tools should I buy also?

The bike has just 15.000-16.000 miles on it and the clutch isn't slipping.

EDIT: In the service manual they show a special tool to hold the clutch body while removing the main locknut; Any way to do this without that special tool? The only "problems" I had with my bike were springs and seals that were just not up to spec any more, could it be that it's just the darn four clutch springs that are just not up to specs any more?
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #2022
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Quote:
Impact gun is how I got it off. Zap that thing so hard/fast with the gun it doesn't have time to think about moving. You can also improvise a tool - I've done that in the past but the gun was faster. If your springs are out of spec I presume the clutch would slip.
Got to buy one of those for my next birthday for sure , but for now I can't but I'll see about just doing it with the tools I have. Why didn't they make it so you just pop in a screwdriver in some hole to lock up the clutch... Any way, if it's not the springs or the plates, I wonder what could be it than... I'll drive it a bit more until I can hear better what and how (until it REALLY makes too much noise).

I didn't reply on your mail as I didn't had time enough to sit down today... will do soon!

puntoMX screwed with this post 09-09-2010 at 07:52 PM
Old 09-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #2023
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
nope, you can't. It takes some sort of impact tool to get the nut off. I used the 'hit it with a hammer' style impact driver--which is a lot less expensive than an air or electric impact.

Sorry
Old 09-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #2024
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Wink New toys came in...

My new exhaust came in today, also the rear light, hand-guards, 3 tirespoons and those are
indeed the KTM ones, cheap used GPS and some small stuff. Pictures coming up from the
rear-light when the batteries are charged from my camera and we'll see how that muffler will be
fitted. I'll leave the clutch for what it is now...

EDIT: Some pictures...

I used a piece of tiretube to cover up the holes and silicon to hold it in place.
The lightbulbs are not that bright but will be replaced soon by some LEDs.

puntoMX screwed with this post 09-10-2010 at 07:26 PM
Old 09-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #2025
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Wicked