Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #61
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy
And the good part is if you get caught they'll probably just impound the bike and then you'll be rid of it.

But seriously, I applaud your effort, Mullet5! Its simply awesome to be able to bring back such a tangible part of the memories of your trip.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #62
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Double fun.

First part. I love the story. Mullet5, your sentiments are absolutely in the right place on this one. I'll be following the progress.

Second part. I love the link to "top gear". I've never even heard of the show and just finished those eight episodes without pause... leaning forward with a smile on my face and not even realizing it.

I was immediately sold right at the start with the show's theme. I'd watched a few minutes of VH1 "top 100 artists of all time" the night before and got bored and looked up the list on the internet. lynyrd skynyrd made the list. Sad enough when you think about the world of music being whittled down to 100 "top" artists. Ok, put them at 101 if you must. Fair enough. So I went looking for the Allman Brothers.

WWWHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT the fuck? No Allman Brothers? They place lynyrd skynyrd and completely pass on the Allman Bros? I was so dissappointed in humanity I could have wept.

So I open the link to "top gear" today and there she is. The instrumental 'Jessica' woven into the opening theme... of a wonderfully witty British show highlighting an adventure in Vietnam. Class act. There's hope for us yet.
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #63
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,294
So I open the link to "top gear" today and there she is. The instrumental 'Jessica' woven into the opening theme... of a wonderfully witty British show highlighting an adventure in Vietnam. Class act. There's hope for us yet.[/quote]

Top Gear has become my fav show on tele. And I record all the episodes and keep the best ones on my DVR. I love the humor, and the incredible quality of the production value of the show. It is one of the first shows done at it's level of HD on the air and the videographers on that show are the best in the business in television bar none.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #64
RomaDakota
Boondoggle

Oddometer: 1,319
Great!!!
The carb is Russian - K65 variant, possibly a К65И. Same as on my ИЖ.
I have extra carb kits, you are welcome to one however the jets will be incorrect as my kits are for 4-stroke K65s - all other parts are the same.
Удачи!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet5
Old 09-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #65
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 359
Quote:

Tejava! I buy a case of it from Trader Joes about every other week. Love it frozen in a plastic bottle so it stays ice cold as it melts and I drink off the liquid. My go to drink now that I'm off the soda wagon. No lie, I'm drinking some while I read your excellent report.
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:01 AM   #66
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 564
I know that this is slightly off subject, but can you actually watch top gear on the telly in the US? It is shown throughout the world on the BBC world service but I thought that it was pulled in North America several years ago when the car companies, who influence what you can see through advertising revenue, complained to the satelite and cable companies about the content.
When top gear tests a car and think that it is rubbish they actually say "this car is a load of rubbish, don't buy it", something they have said about some American cars on more than one occasion. Not that they pick on American cars, the BMW X3 was declared about the most pointless car you can buy, a useless saloon car and a useless four wheel drive.
I am interested to know.
As you might have noticed Hammond and May are both motorcyclists and Clarkson hates them.
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:10 AM   #67
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,652
Mark,
That's a bunch of rubbish.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/topg...-episode-1.jsp
BTW, Do you know my ex brother in law named Peter Gove?
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:21 AM   #68
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 564
Thank you, glad to hear it, I am not sure who started that filthy rumour but will have a word when I remember.
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #69
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Manley
I know that this is slightly off subject, but can you actually watch top gear on the telly in the US? It is shown throughout the world on the BBC world service but I thought that it was pulled in North America several years ago when the car companies, who influence what you can see through advertising revenue, complained to the satelite and cable companies about the content.
When top gear tests a car and think that it is rubbish they actually say "this car is a load of rubbish, don't buy it", something they have said about some American cars on more than one occasion. Not that they pick on American cars, the BMW X3 was declared about the most pointless car you can buy, a useless saloon car and a useless four wheel drive.
I am interested to know.
As you might have noticed Hammond and May are both motorcyclists and Clarkson hates them.
It plays on BBC America every few days.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #70
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
It plays on BBC America every few days.
...and several of the seasons (11 through 14) are available on amazon. Its around.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #71
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Oddometer: 1,140
Any news?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #72
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Finally back at it

Oh boy, where did all the time go? I haven't done anything to the Minsk in, what? Two weeks? Come on man, get with it! I do have an excuse for my lack of progress... A good friend of mine was kind (stupid) enough to lend me his 2006 Ducati 999s, which meant that every time I walked into my garage to work on the Minsk, I was faced with the following decision: chisel, scrape, torch, and grind undoubtedly toxic paint off of a Soviet motorcycle engine, or go for a ride on this frightening looking Italian projectile. Yeah, Ducati every time.

He finally realized the terrible mistake he had made and picked it up from my house this evening, so now I am back to working on the Minsk. I only had about an hour, but I managed to get the engine about 90% stripped, I should be able to finish stripping it and paint it tomorrow.

More updates soon!
'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '07 Sprinter CDI, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '91 Range Rover Classic, '04 VW Phaeton, '80 242DL, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '84 K30, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Mullet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:30 AM   #73
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,012
Quote:
Oh boy, where did all the time go? I haven't done anything to the Minsk in, what? Two weeks? Come on man, get with it! I do have an excuse for my lack of progress... A good friend of mine was kind (stupid) enough to lend me his 2006 Ducati 999s, which meant that every time I walked into my garage to work on the Minsk, I was faced with the following decision: chisel, scrape, torch, and grind undoubtedly toxic paint off of a Soviet motorcycle engine, or go for a ride on this frightening looking Italian projectile. Yeah, Ducati every time.
The call of the sausage monster is hard to resist.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:52 AM   #74
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Good Call Mullet. I woulda picked the Duc every time also.
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:01 AM   #75
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54
The call of the sausage monster is hard to resist.

Quote:
Just a tip here FWIW, using a wire wheel for stripping paint while it works well, burnishes the material (the aluminum in your case) closing the "pores" and inhibiting the adhesion of the paint shortening the life of the job, and that kinda sucks (IMO) after putting so effort into bringing it back to life.

I'm thoroughly enjoying your take and energy on this undertaking.

Treadless screwed with this post 09-28-2010 at 07:37 AM
Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote