User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #16
Ken11 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Update

So I finally got the new gasket for the muffler! So I installed it. The old one looked like crap. Once I put it in, I took it for a test ride. It semi solved the problem. The good is that it would run 50 mph fairly easily, but the bad is that it still back fires now and then, especially when de accelerating. I am ordering a new intake manifold boot and air tube plus air filter. I believe it is running slightly but not too too lean. It does not overheat anymore, even in the hot weather though! Thanks for the comments. I would appreciate any more suggestions on what I could do. Thanks!
Ken11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Here's another way to tell if you've blown the exhaust gasket; if the right side of the rear tire feels very warm - almost hot - to your touch (oooh bad touch) the exhaust gases are leaking out of the beginning of the exhaust assembly and are heating up the tire.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #18
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Yea thats definitely true. My tires always heated up when my gaskets went bad. I always wondered what caused that for quite a while. I also seem to remember a lot of backfiring when my gaskets failed too. Definitely try to get your engine to stay out of the lean side. This will easily damage your engine and they generally will run hot. It sounds like you fixed the majority of the problem, but just need to find why it backfires once in a while.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #19
Ken11 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Mine did heat up the tires to. What's pretty weird is that now the backfiring has been completely eliminated and the performance has gone up. It is like running in fast mode all the time now, almost like it needed to adjust to the new gasket. It will easily cruise at 55 mph now and runs great! Thanks!
Ken11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #20
Twisted Martini
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Cry OK, I got a new one

I have an 85 Elite 150 with about 11K miles on it. The coolant had never been changed-it was rusty as hell but also never ran hot. A few weeks ago while out on a ride, the overflow container started spitting fluid out, so it convinced me it was time to change it.

This morning I popped the screw off the the water pump, drained it all out, started the motor and flushed it several times with water, until the outflow was almost clean. Put the screw back in, filled it with 50/50, siphoned all the crap out of the overflow container. Buttoned it back up and went for a ride. About 10 min in, I noticed that i was running really hot, almost pegged. I immediately turn for home and check my service manual. It said to bleed the air out, which I didn't do, so I did that and put a little more coolant in. Take it out again, and it runs better,but still hot. On idle it pegs again, but once you get moving it goes down to 3/4 hot. Before I did this, it never went above 1/2 hot, even with the old coolant in there.

What did I do, disrupt some coolant demon from the ancient world?
Twisted Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #21
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Well on Elite 150s, a lot of things can actually make them run hot. 11K is not really to much over the regular changing interval, which is usually 7,500 miles, but it is over a bit. Once thing is make sure you fill the little puke bottle to proper level even after you fill the radiator cap and bleed air. Mine was just a little low and my engine ran way hot, and adding a little should make a difference if you have not already. Another thing is that your engine could be running lean due to a number of possible problems. One could, like Kens bike, be a bad exhaust gasket in early failure stages. Mine also did this on a long ride far from my house. The gasket went bad and my engine ran way to hot, just like yours is. It was not doing anything else that Ken's was though, just running way hot. After trouble shooting, I just thought lean usually causes hotter running, and since the gasket causes this, why not pop a new one in. It worked! My engine will idle at traffic lights in 100+ degree weather now all day right below the half way mark!

Definitely check this out, as well as your intake manifold, air pipe and so on.

If none of these Are your problem, check out your radiator fan, your Thermostat valve, your coolant tubes, levels, and trouble shoot more with the manual. But one tip, make sure when you run anywhere over 3/4, pull over and let it cool for 5-10 minutes before riding back home. Do it even a few times if necessary, as these engines can be damaged easily by this amount of heat.

Good luck with your scoot! Feel free to ask any more questions, I know how diffucult trouble shooting can be on these Elites sometimes!
Old 09-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #22
Waterdog16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
still have air in the cooling system. bleed it again and i bet your problem goes away. The way i do it is messy but effective, run the engine with the rad. cap off with drip pan as close to under it as you can get, run engine till cooling fan turns on, top off coolant, close rad. cap. Hope this helps.
Waterdog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #23
tcjames.yu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Laugh check radiator cap

I have had same problem like you described, suggest you may check radiator cap whether lose ability to hold pressure, the bad radiator cap will make air in the cooling system then engine ran over hot.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:48 AM   #24
Twisted Martini
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I bled it again, topped it off and it seems to have fixed the problem. I did get some radiator flush from autozone, I'm going to use it this weekend to get all the rust and crap out that accumulated over the last 25 years. Thanks for the help!
Twisted Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #25
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Thats good! Yea definitely flush it out, and make sure you fill it right. Just ride it all over town and let it idle for long periods of time in hot stop and go traffic or sitting in your driveway after a zip around town, just to make sure it really doesn't over heat. But those radiators in these can be pretty sensitive to a lot of things, so be sure everything is right.

Good luck!