Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 AM   #31
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut
Did you check this route and RR out???

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111885

Early May will be tight with the snow but may be workable.

Bruce
Great find Bruce!!! That exactly what I've been looking for....now to do some research on the elevations...
Old 04-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #32
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast4uu
Great find Bruce!!! That exactly what I've been looking for....now to do some research on the elevations...
I used the PCQ in my SMTS file so you can see it and other options. Still lots of snow in may on most dort portions of it.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #33
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Snow and locked gates will be an issue depending on snowpack and weather. FYI check out this 2010 WARPRD thread and any past RR for WARPED as it is in the area of interest and always 3rd or 4th week of April.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529817

If you have internet you should be able to read and see reports for this year before you arrive here. WARPED is always scheduled 2-3 weeks to early to allow good access because of snow IMO.

I think you will need some luck and determination to do the PCQ route in early May. I wouldn't stress unless pavement is a deal breaker as all the paved roads in the area (HY178, 155 & 190) are impressively tight, twisty and scenic.

I'm doing time in Bakersfield for now and semi retired. If you need any more info I may be able to help with a plan "B".

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #34
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut
Snow and locked gates will be an issue depending on snowpack and weather. FYI check out this 2010 WARPRD thread and any past RR for WARPED as it is in the area of interest and always 3rd or 4th week of April.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529817

If you have internet you should be able to read and see reports for this year before you arrive here. WARPED is always scheduled 2-3 weeks to early to allow good access because of snow IMO.

I think you will need some luck and determination to do the PCQ route in early May. I wouldn't stress unless pavement is a deal breaker as all the paved roads in the area (HY178, 155 & 190) are impressively tight, twisty and scenic.

I'm doing time in Bakersfield for now and semi retired. If you need any more info I may be able to help with a plan "B".

Bruce
So are you saying we should go for it?

Patches of snow here and there don't worry me. But I'm concerned about traveling a road/trail for an hour, and hitting an unpassable section and losing an hour re-routing multiple times during the day.

Am I overthinking this? or will we know pretty quickly when we need to turn around and re-route?

Local knowledge is key here...I'm thinking that the pavement will be welcomed at this point of the trip...and if they are as twisty you mentioned, that's an added bonus...
Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #35
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast4uu
So are you saying we should go for it?

Patches of snow here and there don't worry me. But I'm concerned about traveling a road/trail for an hour, and hitting an unpassable section and losing an hour re-routing multiple times during the day.

Am I overthinking this? or will we know pretty quickly when we need to turn around and re-route?

Local knowledge is key here...I'm thinking that the pavement will be welcomed at this point of the trip...and if they are as twisty you mentioned, that's an added bonus...
I have the local knowledge and know the options but I don't know your group or how much time you can spend in the area. There are lower elevation options which can be good riding but I prefer not to spend time compiling tracks and route options if your group needs to make time. Even the pavement near Greenhorn Summit (Hy 155) can burn road time and miles without making many "as the cow flies" miles.

PM me if you think the "local knowledge" will be useful. Most of the sit at home in front of the computer planning usually goes out the window on day one of such trips. Need to stay flexible.

Bruce
Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #36
jetmech1990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Sherman Pass Rd

Is Sherman Pass Rd asphalt all the way from the 395 to it looks like the 190 on the map I have
jetmech1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #37
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech1990
Is Sherman Pass Rd asphalt all the way from the 395 to it looks like the 190 on the map I have
Yes, definitely! And a heck of a route 395 to Porterville via California Hot Springs to the south or better yet via Springville to the north. Tank up on fuel and allow extra time as these roads are not good for making time on. Very little straight road! Some of the pavement up high on Sherman suffers from weather and old surface but not bad.

Wonderful fall ride, but don't wait to long as winter comes early to the high country and the roads are closed.

Bruce