Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #3421
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 233
I think I payed $166 for my cdi a few months back at servicehonda. Worth every penny.

Or I could make you a low-ball offer on yours...
RollingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #3422
RogerThat
Old Guy Adventure Videos

Oddometer: 159
Here is a sweet deal for a NX125

This is a super deal.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1970628247.html

I called the guy and was going to look at it tomorrow but have since desided that I don't need a 125 I want a 650.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #3423
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerThat
This is a super deal.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1970628247.html

I called the guy and was going to look at it tomorrow but have since desided that I don't need a 125 I want a 650.
Here is an even BETTER deal!

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/1973553981.html

Honestly I think 1650 for a 1989 125 is a little pricey but hey that's just me.

"Great! What am I supposed to use now?! Harsh language?!?!?"
- Duke Nukem
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #3424
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero
It's been a little while but a few weeks ago my Kenda Challenger tire arrived. After installing it and about 1000 miles later I am rather impressed with it. I did a top speed test down a local back road that nobody here goes down and I topped out at 92mph in 6th at 8500RPM and was blown away that a 1988 250 could pull that off. Though that street tire no longer allows me to go offroad so I need to buy sooner or later a second street legal dual sport. I stopped taking mine off road because I was always breaking stuff on it every time I did.
Now you see the inspiration of my screen name...

Be careful, SuperMoto/Motard is next

And you don't want to know what that feels like. B/c it will get more addictive than drugs, and be harder to quit... This bike is so much fun just to flick.

And for an off road rig... I like the looks of the KTM 250 SX/XC-F VARY much.

30-40 horsepower and more aftermarket than you can shake a stick at...

Then you can go "sportsmans" with it and get two sets of wheels for it. Off and on...

The 13,000 redline is just dreamy to me...

Though something in a 450-520 would have better low-end grunt...

I wish it looked like this today :-/

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 09-27-2010 at 10:35 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #3425
aronhk_md
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Well, its been a long while since I've posted here and I sold the white NX250 I had last. Just bought the bike Trevhead mentioned a few pages ago. Blue 89 with now 2275 mi. Bought it without seeing it first (except pics), so I hope it lives up to description and pics. He says it looks almost like it was stored in a crate the whole time...as close to new as you can get. We'll see. Paid $1250 and $50 gas for the guy to meet me in upstate PA and save me about 2 hrs driving. Will be meeting him Thurs.

Without reading the last hundred pages here and finding the other thread.....has anyone come up with good supermoto wheel/swingarm/forks ideas yet that dont require a CNC milling machine in your home shop?

On an odd note......the bike wouldnt start for him when he bought it last yr, and he said the dealer sourced a suzuki/aftermarket cdi unit for it VERY inexpensively. He doesnt remember specifics, and I dont know if there'll be a receipt with the paperwork, but I'm very curious.

Heres a pic of the bike.

aronhk_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:43 AM   #3426
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,982
that CDI unit will have a part number stamped right on it
be sure to tell us so we can research it

looks like a really clean bike from that photo
hope it turns out like that

keep us posted
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #3427
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
Hello.

Boy am I thankful I found this great resource

Irish Expatriate currently residing in Phnom Penh, Cambodia here.

I picked this baby up two months back for $950:

And promptly blew out the back shock and spent $116 on a rebuilt one

Had 1k of trouble free driving and then, two days after driving through a deep flood for maybe a mile, the back wheel bearing went.

Plus it developed an erratic idle.
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #3428
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

So, given that I face some of the most "challenging" road conditions in the world (insane might be a better word) , I stripped her down fully, changed the camchain, valves, front brake disk, battery, rear tyre, chain & sprocket, filters, plug, plastic welded dodgy fairing bits.

I also had the frame blasted and resprayed, all fairing and the tank sprayed, new stickers, cleaned out the headlamps, forks and bars re-chromed, every nut and bolt exchanged for new chrome/stainless steel, jobbies, wheels re-painted, engine repainted, new cables, new piping, exhaust polished and carb rebuilt and rejetted (though this is not right yet, have questions about this).

Sorry about all the photographs, but I couldn't decide which to leave out

And it took me two days to subscribe to the site, so I was itching to post after reading most of this thread

Hello,

J
Old 09-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #3429
aronhk_md
Adventurer

Jacl thats a beautiful bike. You could almost call it new. Why they did the nice wheels and rear disc on the ax and not the nx I'll never understand. Also looks like the ax came with a stainless header?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #3430
ArthDuro
quarantined

very clean lookin AX
you did a lot of work on that thing and it shows
although it seems like you started with a decent piece

hopefully the rest of the gang here can help with your carb
+ momento mori +
Old 09-29-2010, 03:39 AM   #3431
aronhk_md
Adventurer

Anyone know if these CDIs work for the NX, and whether they perform as advertized?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deres...item4152ec11f1
Old 09-29-2010, 03:59 AM   #3432
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Thanks people, I'm very happy with it.

If I visit another country in the next few months I might pick up an SV rear shock and plan on doing something to firm up the fronts a but too, as roads here are damn bad and even the road I live on is not paved.

Since the rebuild I have had a very occasional mid-range stutter, where the engine seems to hesitate briefly before delivering power. Most commonly happens when going from 3rd gear to fourth or back down and getting on the throttle post gear change.

Have sent it to a decent mechanic twice in two weeks to get this sorted and it's still there. Sometimes this can be dangerous - if you are overtaking without much of a window for power loss, in particular.

I wonder if the weather here could be a factor as half the year it's pushing 40c and the other half is always between 28-35c - with huge humidity.

Also, helmet cams are not available here, so I have designed a mount for my bars to hold a digital camera that I must get run up - anybody done the same?

I'm looking at making this:

One alteration being a flange on both sides instead of the hinge shown on the left side.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:08 AM   #3433
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

It has 28.5k on the clock, was 26.5 when I bought it.

Anybody know how I can find out the year of manufacture? They are not real big on tracking details like that here in Cambodia

Aronhk -I don't know that the CDI wouldn't work, although the AX-1 has a few extra ponies (i think?) so that may make a difference.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:38 AM   #3434
ArthDuro
quarantined

Not sure about all the restriction claims of that ebay CDI.
I don't think any of the NX in the states and Canada were speed or rev restricted. I know mine has now gone 145 and I also had it at the red line a few times and I think anything more would just plain blow it up.

The AX may have been restricted in some markets but I have no real info on this. I did get a Sun Systems unit from Japan a while back and it has really worked well from what I can tell.

AX did come with a stainless header indeed.

Jackl have you considered starting with a RAM mount for your camera mount would be a bit more flexible and provide more vibration protection.
+ momento mori +
Old 09-29-2010, 06:13 AM   #3435
jonv85
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonv85
Thanks for the tips! I think I will stick to tubes and gather a tube repair kit then.

About the CDI, I placed it and the bike was weird while on iddle, with rpm's unstable, going up and down. I noticed improvements while on running, but the next day the bike died again.. went to the mechanic again, checked what was wrong and was no power going out of the CDI, so I spent money for nothing because it lasted no more than 3 hours on running.. We checked the power that was going to the CDI and it was about 12v, maybe its that the problem? Anyone can give me the correct value ?

After that, the starting button won't work, the bike is now with the electrical system all scattered because they are looking for the problem and its a hell to find it because no one knows.. could be the rectifier, could be some damaged wiring.. I am loosing hope. everything pointed to the CDI (even at Honda) and I just burned another..
Well, problem solved. Not the CDI, i don't know the name in english, but its some kind of voltage collector/gatherer from the alternator, one little piece that was damaged, that costs only 26euro. That was why my rpm's while on iddle were unstable.

Hope this will help people who had the same "#$=! problems that i had to save some money!
jonv85 is offline   Reply With Quote