Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
wintonio OP
last of the Dum Dum Daze

Oddometer: 1,654
Elite 150 has a "whole lotta head shaking going on"

which ain't so good.

used to shake a bit between 20mph to 35mph, but now it starts up whenever I take my hands off the bars, regardless of speed.

I took the front wheel off a few weeks ago to check the brake pads, and put it back on just like it was, which is exactly how it should be, which isn't rocket science.

Any ideas on what to look for? It is an '85 with about 9K on the odo

Maybe I will examing the front tire to see if there are any bubbles on the sidewalls or anything unusual like that, BUT

what could it be other than that?
wintonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
TebKLR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Steering head bearing adjustment?
TebKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 722
I had this problem with my Scarabeo I recently bought, it's 3 year old with 1900 miles.
The tires are 4 years old (all tires have a production date stamped on them) and looked brand new but where rock hard. Couldn't even gentle press a screw drive into the rubber..
I swapped out the hard as rock rubber with a new set of Pirelli's, the shaking is now gone and it handles 100% better..

Check your tire's and see how old they are, just cause the tread is good doesn't mean the tire is good.
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP N MTNS
I had this problem with my Scarabeo I recently bought, it's 3 year old with 1900 miles.
The tires are 4 years old (all tires have a production date stamped on them) and looked brand new but where rock hard. Couldn't even gentle press a screw drive into the rubber..
I swapped out the hard as rock rubber with a new set of Pirelli's, the shaking is now gone and it handles 100% better..

Check your tire's and see how old they are, just cause the tread is good doesn't mean the tire is good.
I agree with UP N MTNS. This happened on my Elite 150 as well. The rear tire was ok, but the front tire appeared so old it looked original. When I rode it, the whole front end would almost bounce up and down as the tire spun. The forks would also shake and it was uncomfortable at high speeds. It was caused by the old, cracked rubber having a dent where it had been sitting for years before I bought it. So I ordered a new tire, but I still rode the hell out of it while I was waiting. It seemed to get a little better after around 400 miles, like the tire almost softened up a bit. But the new tire fixed it.

Also, TebKLR could be right. I would check your steering head bearing adjustment as well. Another thing to check out is the tire balance weights. Maybe the previous owner or his mechanic screwed up the tire balance weights, and this is your problem. Just something to check.

Good luck with your problem!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote