Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2010, 06:39 AM   #16
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,509
I hear ya. I'm trying to convince my wife that a hybrid Escape would be a great replacement for her '01 with the 3.0 and 4WD. However, she doesn't want a car payment (can't blame her) and there's nothing wrong with the Escape.

Our TDIs have different engines which might explain the mileage difference. Weight (Jetta v. Beetle) doesn't seem to have much effect. I have seen/heard the new diesel in a Golf and cannot believe how quiet they are.

OK, perhaps we should return this thread to scooters and leave the diesel VWs for other Forum sites (Google 'Fred's TDi Page', if you're curious - see you there).

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #17
skyman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Reflex ,Elite update

Well I pulled the trigger on a 2003 Yellow Elite with ABS. It had 3700 miles on her when I bought her. I found her on Craigs list about 90 miles North of where I live in Florida. I picked her up on a Friday with Thunder storm after Thunder storm rolling in off the Gulf. I did get lucky and only had to do about 30 miles of rain as I dodged Thunder Storms. So far I have added two new tires (weather checked ) and a Givi windshield. Almost forgot to mention a good cleaning as the previous owner left it out in the sun. Cleaned out wasp nests, rubbing compound to the paint and wax, and Armour all to the black plastic parts. It's funny as it is a 2003 model and most people think it is new. I only have 300 hundred miles on her now as I got held up getting new tires. Yes it is possible to have a Elite and a Reflex.
skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #18
rv-rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Elite

I just came across a 2006 Elite 80. I was wondering what to expect for a reasonable top cruising speed. The seller says 47-50 per the speedo. I don't know how far off the speedo is on Hondas. Seems most scooters are at least 10%. If it'll do at least 45, I'll pull the plug. If not I'll probably go for the new 110. What say ye. It is stock.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #19
No.6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
My Elite 110 indicates 53-54; this matches my in-phone GPS precisely.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:39 AM   #20
mikenpalsie
mikenpalsie

Oddometer: 42
elite 80

we have an 05 elite 80, and top speed is around 40-42 mph and thats wound as tight as it will go. we also have a new elite 110, and it will go 50 no problem. also the suspension is much better
Old 09-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #21
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,959
Hey BRONCO638 theres no way in hell you have 13k on the original hoops . I'm on my 3rd set at 17k and I run them till their shot.Can't blame it on riding style as theres not enoughpower to significantly affect tire wear that much. You either forgot a set of tires or they were already replaced when you bought it. Cmon fess up.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #22
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy
Hey BRONCO638 theres no way in hell you have 13k on the original hoops . I'm on my 3rd set at 17k and I run them till their shot.Can't blame it on riding style as theres not enoughpower to significantly affect tire wear that much. You either forgot a set of tires or they were already replaced when you bought it. Cmon fess up.
You may be right and I'll check the date stamp on the tires. Based on the maintenance routine (or lack thereof) of the previous owners (2) I wouldn't be surprised if they turn out to be OE. We'll see.........

Old 09-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #23
skyman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Elite 110 and a Reflex Update

I'm loving life with my two scoots. I have over two thousand on the Reflex now and it's a GREAT all around scoot. I have been averaging 65 MPG with her and 100 MPG with the Elite. I have three thousand miles on the 2010 Elite so far and she does good around our small town. My wife is going to get her license on the Elite and may step up to a Reflex as well. Then we will have three scoots in the garage.
skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #24
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,686
Saw a Reflex with a sidecar Saturday, would be perfect for my dog and myself

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:31 AM   #25
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Tire Date Code

I checked the sidewall this morning; PCL4602. That would be the 46th week of 2002. So, they are OE and they're rapidly approaching 15K miles. Granted, they are cupped badly (you can actually feel the 'polygon-ness' when pushing the scoot around) but you can't complain about that longevity.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #26
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,959
I don't think its possible that those tires were on an 02 model as production for the tire was at the very end of 02 and producyion for an 02 model bike would have ended by early August at the latest, anything after that is usually the next model year,definitely by the middle of Nov.,the date on the tires. They were probably old stock or the original owner bought them early on possibly foreseeing a lot of use. Just a guess,but between me and a friend who also has a Reflex ,at 8-9 k our tires were absolutely shot.The rears were bald,mine had cords showing,and the fronts were horribly cupped.I ride like an idiot but he pussyfoots around like an old Nun.By the way,we tried a set of Avon Strykers ,I believe,on his and at 3k they're not looking so good, so stick with the Bridgestone Hoops.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #27
Bronco638
Nobody Home

In retrospect, you're most likely right. Basically, I have an old set of Hoops that have a lot of miles on them. Being the third owner, I can only guess when they were installed. I got the scoot with about 8700 on the odometer. There's just under 15K on it now. So, I (personally) will have over 6K miles on those tires. And, they weren't new when I got it.

And, yes, I thought about the Avons but have decided to stay with the Bridgestones or I may try the Dunlops. Both were OE.

It's fun to push it around these days. Due to cupping (front & rear), those tires aren't remotely round any more......