Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2005, 12:54 PM   #31
longwallman
in the dark

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro

Monday Night Football is leaving broadcast television in 2006. No cable, no satellite? No Football on Monday night!

Link

That sucks. Fucking Comcast better get it wired out where we are building a house, but they won't. Bastards.

First I've got to go back to dialup after 5 years with broadband.

Now I won't even be able to see Monday Night Football, a silly ritual I've enjoyed for years.

Why not go with sat tv/internet till you get hard-wired. I used Starband for years till we finally got dsl. I still use sat tv as the picture/sound quality is better than the local Comcast cable.

My costs for Starband + Dish were about $100/mos. After having broadband, dial-up will truely suck.
longwallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:19 PM   #32
w1ley
hyperbolist

Oddometer: 106
Quote:

Monday Night Football is leaving broadcast television in 2006. No cable, no satellite? No Football on Monday night!

Link

That sucks. Fucking Comcast better get it wired out where we are building a house, but they won't. Bastards.

First I've got to go back to dialup after 5 years with broadband.

Now I won't even be able to see Monday Night Football, a silly ritual I've enjoyed for years.

??
Isnt it going to ESPN? ESPN is on DirecTV
2004 R1150 Adventure
w1ley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:44 PM   #33
Retro OP
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by longwallman
Why not go with sat tv/internet till you get hard-wired. I used Starband for years till we finally got dsl. I still use sat tv as the picture/sound quality is better than the local Comcast cable.

My costs for Starband + Dish were about $100/mos. After having broadband, dial-up will truely suck.
I did some Internet searching on Directwave and Starband. I did not find one positive comment about satellite internet. I was already searcing ebay for used equipment when I decided against the satellite.

Was your experience with Starband good? Even the people who said they were happy overall named several serious drawbacks to Starband/Directwave.

I'd actually prefer to not have a satellite t.v. package. I've got kids in the house, so we try to limit not only t.v. time, but choices as well.

I am dreading going back to dial up. So much of what I now take for granted, even some of the content on advrider will take too long.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #34
Retro OP
Just the Facts Ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ley
??
Isnt it going to ESPN? ESPN is on DirecTV
Don't have DirectTV. We don't even have ESPN on our cable. I only buy the $8.00 a month cable package that they don't advertise and don't like to sell.

The predictions have been coming for a while that most professional sports would eventually move to PPV and subscription situations. This might just be the first move towards that end.

Old 04-19-2005, 03:34 PM   #35
longwallman
in the dark

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
I did some Internet searching on Directwave and Starband. I did not find one positive comment about satellite internet. I was already searcing ebay for used equipment when I decided against the satellite.

Was your experience with Starband good? Even the people who said they were happy overall named several serious drawbacks to Starband/Directwave.

I'd actually prefer to not have a satellite t.v. package. I've got kids in the house, so we try to limit not only t.v. time, but choices as well.

I am dreading going back to dial up. So much of what I now take for granted, even some of the content on advrider will take too long.
As you know, Armstrong County is a bit behind the times. The ony thing available locally was 28.8 dial-up. I wasn't wild about Starband but it was the only game in town at the time for broadband. Upload speeds weren't much better than dial-up, down load averaged around 750k. There were short, unexplained outages at times, and of course outages for heavy rain or snow. Overall I was happy with the Starband system since it brought me out of the communications blackhole I was stuck in. Cnet did a comparison on the sat internet providers and concluded they were all pretty much the same.

Dish Network is suppose to bring their sat internet online this summer. It will be a bit faster than existing systems at about the same cost.

Hopefully you'll have access to DSL or that new system through your AC outlets soon. My Altell DSL is currently cranking at 1.5 -2.1 Megs.

Good luck.
longwallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:43 PM   #36
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,354
Quote:
When you get married, have children, and hold a regular job, these things are no longer part of the ritual.

Neither are the 25 cent beers, halftime wet t-shirt contests, all you can eat buffets...

WTF was I thinking?

Cheers
CA Stu
Old 04-19-2005, 03:47 PM   #37
Retro OP
Just the Facts Ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu

Neither are the 25 cent beers, halftime wet t-shirt contests, all you can eat buffets...

WTF was I thinking?

Cheers
CA Stu
It is a far better thing to have debauched and reformed than to never have debauched at all.

Rudyard Kipling

Old 04-19-2005, 05:14 PM   #38
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,354
Quote:
It is a far better thing to have debauched and reformed than to never have debauched at all.

Rudyard Kipling
What about debauching just every now and then?
Kind of a tapering-off of debauchery...
I'm gonna run that by the missus ...

Nice quote, BTW

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 04-19-2005, 05:56 PM   #39
Retro OP
Just the Facts Ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
What about debauching just every now and then?
Kind of a tapering-off of debauchery...
I'm gonna run that by the missus ...

Nice quote, BTW

Thanks
CA Stu
Nowadays it's a furtive leer at the Hooters waitress.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: