User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
rallybug OP
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
First Vespa ride

*lever on left is not a clutch, lever on left is not a clutch* first queue of traffic, pull in clutch, body lurches forward on seat *lever on left is not a clutch, lever on left is not a clutch*

Eventually got round to test riding a Vespa today - spoke to Mick in South West Scooters in the week and, as they currently have no demo bikes in stock, it was agreed that they would lend me either his bike or Andy (the principal) would lend me his.

Off I trot this morning (via the Honda dealer as I snapped the side pod on my Arai changing the visor - expensive lark, this test riding! They fitted new pods and backing plates as they didn't have what I needed exactly, and only charge me 2/3 price as it was old stock they had lying around ). I got there and Mick's red GTS250 was ready for me to ride.

Andy walked me around it and told me I could take it out for half an hour, so I got kitted up. Sat on, hmm, this seat is comfier than the Bonneville's! Open the throttle slightly - nothing, OK a little more, ah there's the drive

I have a little 17-mile route that I like riding that covers town, country lanes and dual carriageway, so I went off on that. Seat still comfy, engine as smooth as butter, and even the suspension feels better than the Triumph's - impressive bearing in mind the small wheels etc!

Out of town and onto the A359 heading away from Yeovil towards the A303 - between Mudford and Marston Magna there a few nicely sweeping little bends between the hedges, and the bike felt nice and stable, I could get into this, thinks I.

Turn off towards Sherborne at the Marston Inn, and the B3148 is a bit more challenging, with rough tarmac, some short little hills and narrower roads under trees etc. The 250 handled it with aplomb, and even the rough tarmac didn't get transferred through to me too much - impressed!

Get to Sherborne and turn back towards Yeovil on the A30, past the traffic lights and the dual carriageway (divided highway, two lanes in each direction for our American viewers ) starts. I opened it up, moved into lane 2 and started over-taking cars, up to an indicated 80 with no problem, so I guess that's around 70 in real money Down Babylon Hill and it kept the speed going nicely, then turn around at the bottom to go back up the hill.

The 250 struggled a little here, it would only pull about 50-55mph uphill (the 300 may be better here?), but the speed increased to over 60 indicated as the slope flattened. Turned around at the top and back down the hill, and into town and Saturday traffic - not much filtering as it wasn't my bike and I didn't know the width etc, but cut up the inside as I got closer to where my road turned off.

Back to South West Scooters and a chat with Andy (who confirmed the PX125 rumour ).

The moral of this tale......

Anybody know anyone who wants to buy a 2003 Triumph Bonneville?

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
BurgerFriesDrink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
2 things I know for sure:

1) Scooters are the business. I re-confirmed that today while enjoying the ride to and from work.

2) I have to visit Yeovil just so I can head north and end up in a place called "Mudford Sock".
BurgerFriesDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
rallybug OP
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgerFriesDrink
2 things I know for sure:

1) Scooters are the business. I re-confirmed that today while enjoying the ride to and from work.

2) I have to visit Yeovil just so I can head north and end up in a place called "Mudford Sock".
My brother lives a couple miles away in a hamlet called Sock Dennis - is that any better?

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
BurgerFriesDrink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybug
My brother lives a couple miles away in a hamlet called Sock Dennis - is that any better?

To be honest, a few miles away from me there is a "hamlet" called Intercourse. Seriously. Sock Dennis is just fine.

I test rode a Vespa 300 GT this spring and it was plenty fast. I wound up with a Yamaha scooter because the dealership is so close (and the Vespa was $6000 ).
BurgerFriesDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
Another converted inmate.... our evil plan is working!
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
mullman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I hear you.

Sold a 2008 Vespa GTS250 after a year and 4000 miles - what was I thinking?

Miss it so much I am in the market for a 2010 300cc model - they are just incredibly practical & fun.
mullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
The large frame Vespas are comfortable, stable, and the ideal urban transport.
The first time you hang a grocery bag from cowling hook, or pull you rain suit from the under seat storage, or keep your boots dry on the floor boards above a wet roadway you'll get it. They are also deceptively fast: there's nothing quite like passing a sports car at 50 and waiting for the light to go off, "now wait a damn minute......."