ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Wind Sprinter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Fall Ride Into The Flint Hills of Kansas ...

October 17, 2010 .... the "perfect" Fall weather was holding, so why not gather for a ride?

Six of us made the breakfast rendezvous point in Cottonwood Falls at the Emma Chase Cafe', including; Tom Harmon - GS1200 - Durham, Jeff Jelinek - GS800 - Danville, Larry Weber - 450 KTM EXCR - Westphalia, Chris Owens - KLR650 - Garden Plain, Kent Jantzen - KLR250 - Moundridge, and Roger Baugh - KLX250S - Wichita. Tom had a few other chores to attend to, and didn't make the rest of the ride, but was kind enough to let us drool a while over his well set-up GS!

After fueling-up, we ran a "Figure S" route out of Cottonwood Falls, starting off to the southwest and running through the Spring Creek, Buck Creek, Den Creek, and Coyne Creek Valleys. We also took in the stone twin-arched Clements Bridge, stopping to visit with a lovely older couple who also had a deep appreciation of these hidden treasures and shared a great deal of historical information with us.

Riding south out of Coyne Creek, we worked our way to Matfield Green, then rode to the southeast to Texaco Hill, enjoying the Little Cedar Creek valley along the way. From Texaco Hill, we turned south and rode the Fall River Road to the point where we turned west to the ghost towns Dunlap and Ivanpah. Along this leg, we encountered a motorist disabled with a flat tire. The man confided he was a recent heart patient, so we assisted in getting him mobile again by changing out his tire.

Nearing Rosalia Road, we took one last break to enjoy a scenic overlook. By day's end, we'd each covered 250 miles or more in the saddle including many miles of open range. Rides just don't get much better than this!

Hope you've enjoyed the views!

Best ... Wind Sprinter
Wind Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Fantastic ride and pics !!!
That old stone bridge with the double arches is really a gem to find out in the middle of no where!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Pic's are great. Nothing like a good ride in the fall with friends. Visited Kansas for the first time in 2008 and was surprised with how nice the Flint Hills area is. Cheers!

Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 AM   #4
AceThumperPilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Looks like a good time
AceThumperPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
Ks-Rydr
from the land of Toto

Oddometer: 223
Good job Roger, looked like fun.... Man, I just realized that I haven't been out riding with you guys even once this year .... Dang, this year has really gone fast !