Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 548
Anyone have TID 2011 in Mapsource?

I downloaded the TID 2011 gpx files from Motorcyclejazz.com, but when I open it all I find is 1104 waypoints in num/alph order. There is no route or track listed. It's obvious the route doesn't run in that order. Any help out there? Thanks,
'12 NC700X/D
'08 TW200
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
craftycoder
Android GPS Software

Oddometer: 2,095
do you have a URL to the file?
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder
do you have a URL to the file?
Is this what you want?

http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/gpx/TID_2011.gpx
'12 NC700X/D
'08 TW200
Old 10-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
craftycoder
Android GPS Software

Yep. There are only paypoints showing because there are only waypoints in the file. Give me a few to see if I can tie them together in a way that makes sense.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

Greatly appeciated!
'12 NC700X/D
'08 TW200
Old 10-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
craftycoder
Android GPS Software

The more I go through it, the less sense it makes. This file is clearly a work in progress. I created a route using all the waypoints number in sequence but that create a lot of circles and stuff. At first I thought there were alt routes and started cleaning that up but then it got really weird.

If you go to dualsportmaps.com and search in Idaho. You will see Big Dogs' Mexico to Canada tracks. Those follow both TIDs. Or, try downloading the 2008 TID1.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder
The more I go through it, the less sense it makes. This file is clearly a work in progress. I created a route using all the waypoints number in sequence but that create a lot of circles and stuff. At first I thought there were alt routes and started cleaning that up but then it got really weird.

Thanks, that's exactly what I found. I'll take your advice, but maybe someone has the 2011 route which is supposed to be much better.
'12 NC700X/D
'08 TW200
Old 10-07-2010, 04:05 AM   #8
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,500
Tid

Yeh-----Martin's gps file are just a bunch of waypoints. I've ridden the TID twice----and the T2 route once---and I had to just find my way between points. In the early days of my gps routing I did the same thing.

Thing is-----his waypoints are so far apart sometimes you'll pass several different ways to go and are not sure of which to do. Most of the time it was very quick to figure out---sometimes not.

The first time I rode it I could not find my way off of Oxford ridge for the life of me--never did find it. It was there---but the waypoints were so far apart I didn't get that turn figured out.

Wasn't that big of a deal really----now I've gotten pretty good at figuring my way. Sometimes I feel like I'm an Indian scout ------finding the way.

BigDog

Anyway----our ride of the TID is here--if you haven't read it.

http://bigdogadventures.com/AnotherWayUp.htm

And here:

http://bigdogadventures.com/TID.htm
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:47 AM   #9
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

Mark,
I've read your RR's and been to your website. I totaly enjoyed the reading.
'12 NC700X/D
'08 TW200
Old 10-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger
I downloaded the TID 2011 gpx files from Motorcyclejazz.com, but when I open it all I find is 1104 waypoints in num/alph order. There is no route or track listed. It's obvious the route doesn't run in that order. Any help out there? Thanks,
I guess I didn't tell all I did when I ran the TID----I made routes and track logs from his waypoints and used that to navigate it. It's very time consuming and took me a long time to do--but was worth it.

I've done it 3 ways (with garmin mapsource)---one, I made a point to point route just tying the waypoints together-----pretty simple---very time consuming--but you just have to find your way between points.

I've connected his waypoints and made a track log of it-----pretty simple but time consuming. About the same as navigating with a point to point route.

I also created an auto route which is the best thing to do but extremely time consuming. Some of the roads you ride aren't on any maps or mapping software so making an auto route is tricky-------I've learned how to fool mapsource into doing this---is very tricky and I'm not going to get into how I did it here.

The coolest thing about the autoroute with the proper gps you always know your distance to the next turn---and know the distance to your destination--which is the Canada border.

Anyway--that's what I did---made navigation so easy with the autoroute.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
motorcyclejazz
Banned

Oddometer: 209
Generic gps files are usually a collection of waypoints - just really close together. We have actual route files that we created in our own software (which may be downloaded on the TID websites enabling you to view the entire route at 7.5 minute resolution) but unless you are a TOPO user the route files will not be decipherable by your particular software. That's why we just upload waypoints in .gpx format, which is more transferable.

When I upload these waypoints and import them into Google Earth I get a display of the entire route, waypoint by waypoint, in order. It should be little trouble for anyone who is actually serious about riding 1300 miles through the wilderness to look at the topo maps we supplied (or the excellent Google earth images) and fill in any additional missing waypoints they think that they need. About a dozen people managed to pull this off last summer without getting lost. One group, very impressively, even managed to pull off a couple of seldom ridden variants of T2 that we didn't even cover with a lot of waypoints.

There are a few areas along the route where we've never been able to get any GPS unit to work anyway because of terrain features - so a little map study is in order.

I have never seen a complete route file of either T1 or T2 anywhere on the web. All of them have significant portions of the routes missing.
motorcyclejazz is offline   Reply With Quote