http://cycle-ergo.com

Updates 11/11/2010:

* Separate manufacturer/model list

Updates 11/1/2010:

* Corrected leg and thigh proportions
* Added inseam, finally!
* Added ground reach!
* New domain name

I created a little web app to very roughly estimate the riding position for different bikes given the rider's height and arm bend. It uses a stick-figure which essentially has no volume but it works well enough for comparison purposes.

Screenshot:

You can configure multiple bikes, then move the mouse over the image and use your mouse scroll wheel to smoothly blend from one to the next, which makes comparing different bikes very easy, or even comparing the same bike with and without handlebar risers for example.

I do plan on adding some more functionality and certainly the motorcycle selection is fairly thin - if you want any bike featured here, just ask and I'll add it. I prefer not to add many older models just to avoid clutter. Also I need to locate a side-view press shot for each bike added.

Let me know if you have any issues, suggestions, etc.a

CGameProgrammer screwed with this post 11-11-2010 at 07:18 PM
CGameProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
fivehitsweak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Honestly........

I could spend YEARS playing with this thing! It is GENIUS! Why doesn't every manufacturer have one of these on their website! Copy write it before they all steal it mate!

GENIUS!

The only suggestion I can think of is to allow adjustment of the rider's inseam measurement, thus allowing a reasonable simulation of leg length vs torso length, but even so, I just think this is fantastic! Good work!
fivehitsweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:24 AM   #3
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,004
Brilliant.

Can you include a Hayabusa and a ZX14?
Old 10-25-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
CGameProgrammer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Both are now added.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #5
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
WOW, that is soooooo COOL!
I just plugged in the information of me astride my Bandit 1250, with my bar-backs and lowered saddle!!! And because I had a visual of what I look like on a bike that I mod'ed to fit me, I was able to compare my seating position to other bikes! Not only that, but imagine my surprise when your app' pulled no punches, and flashed a big warning, "legs to short to reach the pegs" on a V-Rod Nightster..... and that's right, ..... I come no where near being able to reach 'em!

40 years of sitting on dozens and dozens of bikes, and I still seek the Golden Chalice of bikes (unattainable, only dreamed of)...... You see, seating position for me is a matter of "deal with it" or 'stick some bar-backs on it, chop the seat down, and stop yer complaining'.

What I am leading up to, the single most overlooked aspect.... is seating/bike width/foot peg position, and reaching the ground from the saddle. This is a minor issue for about 80%+- of the riders out there, but when one's height and muscular structure is not in the "normal" range, finding a good fit is a matter of trial & effort and inevitable modification.

I'm 5' 1" with THICK Welsh/German/Irish muscular thighs, T-Rex arms, and virtually no inseam. Hell..... about the ONLY bike I fit well might be a Buell Blast!
- BUT -
I continue to shop for and seek the "perfect" bike that I can kinda make fit me. Your web app is soooooo cool, and I've studied the measurements of various seating positions as published in different magazines, but they don't allow me to 'visualize' MY specifics as seen astride the bike. I love it, and look forward to being able to use your app' to help me verify that though the Golden Chalice is not out there for me, I can at least settle on a wooden mug that comes close......

If you could add an option that indicates whether an inseam can reach the ground from the saddle, and if the foot pegs are in the way or not, THAT would be VERY cool and useful for shorter enthusiasts like me.....

(I currently own/ride a Bandit 1250 and naked SV650, both with bar-backs, both with cut down/narrowed saddles)

rhys screwed with this post 10-25-2010 at 06:23 AM
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #6
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
a.w.e.s.o.m.e.
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Why don't you bring this up to the manufacturers....great idea!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
Wow! So cool Thanks!

Please add F800ST?

http://www.pctapety.cz/images/wallpa...ST-875027.jpeg
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
mud390
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
This is amazing! Keeping adding bikes!

Kris
mud390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
squirrelnator
Mystical Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Outstanding

This is really great work. It will really help a lot of the inmates here. Thanks for taking the time to do this, and having the skills, too.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,524
That is superb. I was amazed how close the R1200RT and FJR1300 position was - the FJR is a lot more upright than I thought.

You really need the Suzuki VStrom in there.

And I'd love to see the old GL1200 Goldwing.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #12
CGameProgrammer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
If you could add an option that indicates whether an inseam can reach the ground from the saddle, and if the foot pegs are in the way or not, THAT would be VERY cool and useful for shorter enthusiasts like me....
There's no way to guess at this. Ground reach depends not just on seat height and rider inseam but also on seat width, shape, foot size, thigh thickness (as you mentioned), the boots you're wearing, and even the pants you're wearing. I can't even add a naive ground-reach estimator just to help guess which bikes would have better ground reach than others, because of the unknown seat shape and width. Dished seats like cruisers often have significantly impair ground reach as opposed to normal saddles like standard bikes have.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
CGameProgrammer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehitsweak
The only suggestion I can think of is to allow adjustment of the rider's inseam measurement, thus allowing a reasonable simulation of leg length vs torso length, but even so, I just think this is fantastic! Good work!
I'll definitely be adding inseam, probably at the same time I implement feet (right now it places your heel on the footpeg) and lift up the rider to position him on the seat correctly (hips and legs should join a few inches above the seat).
Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #14
Griffin44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Fantastic!!

What a simple and amazing idea. I punched in my information on my BMW S1000RR and the riding position is just what my shadow tells me it is too! The comparison ability is also way cool. Nice job.

You may be able to play with the inseam thing by making some sample body types - long leg, long torso, beer barrel etc. Not sure if its possible and not trying to take away from what you have because it's brilliant.
Griffin44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,981
Astonishing! This is one of those "why didn't I think of that" things.

Of course, neither did Honda, Kawasaki, BMW, Harley....
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote