Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #16
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper
I rode a Lifan 200cc street and trail for about 2 years. The top speed on that bike was 65mph and I was able to ride it anywhere I wanted, I even did several 400+ miles days on it (and one 600 mile day that really hurt!).

If things work out the way I'm hoping, I'll have a daily commute of 53 miles almost exclusively on a 65mph four lane (it's really the Hillbilly Autobahn, more than once I've come home at 80mph after midnight and been passed by several cars.) So that's duty for the DR. I've done it on a Lifan street and trail (65mph WFO), it's not bad, just have to watch. If my schedule is just right and I'm travelling when traffic is light I could handle that commute at 60mph without issue. On a bike I have no ego, I get out of the way of agressive drivers!

My other commute would be to night classes which is mostly on 40mph roads but includes a 10 mile stretch of 55mph two lane. That and the rest of my normal running would be scooter duty.

But you're right. If it were practicle for me I'd be all over one of the little 50cc scoots. That's the attraction anyway. Small, light and economical. Anything larger than a 250 and I might as well get a Ninja 250 as it would be more reasonable.
Maybe your goal should be to find the lightest and most flickable 200-250cc scooter on the market.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #17
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 915
I don't think there is such a thing as a Helxi 150 - they are all 250s. There are some clones that only have 150cc motors however. The biggest drawback to running the Helix on the freeway is the 10" and 12" tires. Those don't provide a real sense of stability, especially if you come from a motorcycle. However I do see a good number of Vespas on the freeways, and they run 12" (on the 250s and 300s) so it can be done.

I have a Helix that was purchased primarily for the wife but I use it for running short errands and for when I want to laugh the whole time I'm riding. I love that silly thing.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #18
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Yea, there is no such thing as a Helix 150, although that would be cool if there were. Don't forget that you will not kill your scooter running WOT once in a while, although having a little left at 65 would not hurt. I would go for a minimum of 150 cc. But not EVERY 150 can do 65, some are as slow as 50-55 mph, while others may hit 70 mph. I would just look for either a 150 or a 250, don't forget that you have that 650 if you ever need any real power!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #19
BurgerFriesDrink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
Maybe your goal should be to find the lightest and most flickable 200-250cc scooter on the market.

Blur SS 220i
BurgerFriesDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #20
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,212
Bite the bullet and budget for two scoots: one that fits the bill, the other that's the Hellion Project.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #21
FlySniper OP
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Bite the bullet and budget for two scoots: one that fits the bill, the other that's the Hellion Project.
I think the Hellion project may be what I'm wanting anyway! I keep looking at all the stuff available for the GY-6 engines...
I don't have a scoot yet, but I'm already building the engine for one in my head.

And you guys are right, my bad, it's an Elite 150 and the Helix 250... I've found both for under $1000 and there's a Chinese copy of the Helix still being made. It's supposed to be pretty good.

I just traded around and got a Honda Accord as a project car... think I may just put it up on the block to finance a new scoot. I seldom drive anyway and with cold weather coming up it would be nice to have some wind protection!
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #22
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn
Yea, there is no such thing as a Helix 150, although that would be cool if there were. Don't forget that you will not kill your scooter running WOT once in a while, although having a little left at 65 would not hurt. I would go for a minimum of 150 cc. But not EVERY 150 can do 65, some are as slow as 50-55 mph, while others may hit 70 mph. I would just look for either a 150 or a 250, don't forget that you have that 650 if you ever need any real power!
There are several Chinese manufacturers who make a 150cc 'Honda Helix' clone. One of the better manufacturers is CFMoto, who actually do export a number of their models including the 'Helix' see here
OP I'd not bother with any of the other Chinese brands making the 'Helix' though having owned a 2007 CFMoto 250T-VIP since new and now a CFMoto Jetmax (CF250T-6A), I've no hesitation is recommending any newish CFMoto model you might come across.
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #23
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

sinned, I agree with you that CF motos are pretty good quality. But I did not see any 150 cc Helix, just a 250 cc Helix look a like.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #24
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn
sinned, I agree with you that CF motos are pretty good quality. But I did not see any 150 cc Helix, just a 250 cc Helix look a like.
CFMoto, aren't 100% perfect by any means, but they are better than the average Chinese motorcycle manufactured in mainland China. When I write average, that means below-average in real terms. It might seem as a heavy criticism but I've seen too many Chinese made bikes and scoots here in PR China, and even been into a couple of the manufacturers plants. Recently I visited Geely motorcycles in Taizhou less than 2 months ago, looking at a 250cc concept model... but walked through all the assembly lines. Looked at all kinds of frames lined up, and I shook my head at just how bad the welds were.

It seems as though the 150cc CFMoto 'Helix' isn't available outside Chinese mainland according to the CFMoto international website.
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #25
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Wow, that is sad how they let those frames go through the factory. I used to have a chinese scooter, and I ended up busting the frame in two, and after getting it welded back the motor seized up, and cause me to dump the bike from 35+ mph, which is when I went Honda. I had SO many problems on that piece of crap. I know that there are some decent quality chinese bikes, such as Lifan, and a few others, but the majority of the bikes coming out of mainland china aren't exactly something I would commute on, or even ride at speeds over 20 mph on .
Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #26
FlySniper OP
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,643
Food for thought on the Chinese scoots. The street and trail I had was a Lifan, not a bad bike, but the welds were less than stellar. I wouldn't want anything with worse welds than that bike had.

I guess for the displacement/price/quality I'm looking for it'll just about have to be an older Honda.
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #27
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Awesome! I would look on craigslist for an Elite 250, Helix, or Elite 150.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #28
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 915
Use this link to search for you new scooter. You can limit the search to your state, area, or let it rip for the whole US.

Good luck,

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #29
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
Another converted inmate!

Get a good scoot.

I know the china-scooters are cheap but unless you are looking for a hobby, stick with Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kymco or Sym. Genuine and Vespa are good if you are looking for vintage or vintage styled bikes. This is pretty much my short list. Get a big wheeled scooter for a smoother ride, Vespa and other small wheeled scooters are more nimble but twitchy. scooter with 150 and less cc are good for city riding and liquor cycles, but I don't like riding in the gutter. I think buying a smaller bike and hopping it up to go faster reduces the reliability and increases the cost to the point where you may as well get a 250 or 300 cc scooter.

To me, a 250/300cc scooter is the sweet spot. They are typically small enough to be a "scooter" but fast enough to be used on a freeway for touring and can carry two riders with ease. You can get them in small or large wheeled formats. They can normally achieve 75-85 MPH. Big hills mountains can slow to about 50 MPH.

The 400-650cc scooters are great of you want to tour or ride two-up for longer distances. Normally they can get up to 85-105 MPH. They are not bothered by mountains or heavy loads.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #30
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,707
Aprilia offers several scoots in the size range mentioned here.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote