User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
B.Curvin OP
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,694
New (to me) Tuber Buell. What should I know?

I've never owned a Harley engined anything before. Any pointers on how to keep this thing tip top? I have BIG plans for this but I'll keep that under hat til the time is right.

My initial impression from the ride home.

TORQUE!!!! good lord. Up to 80 this thing flat gets it. I didn't go any faster only because I hadn't registered/insured it yet. Down the on ramp and through the gears I was doing 85 in an instant.

Vibration. At cruising speed, no problem. At idle I see quadruple. I played with the idle in the driveway and got rid of a lot of it. I now know why Harley riders keep the idle so low it sound like it's going to die. I never knew there was an actual reason for it. The 98 Tiger I traded for it buzzed like crazy at 70. HATED IT! This thing feels like it's idling at 80. Perfect.

My first plans of attack once I have the energy for it. Check and adjust the primary chain. Adjust the clutch. Adjust the belt tension. PO has the belt too tight for sure. Oil, filter and plugs. Slap on some Protaper 7/8 KX high bars in black. I already picked up some US made thick foam grips. Acerbis hand guards (are there any hand guards made in the US?). The PO had taken the rubber off the foot pegs but I've already replaced those. American made foot pegs, $24 for a set. Schweeeeeeet. The Corbin seat is vehry nice.

Any pointers?

I almost forgot. The tires are shagged. I've got four sets of Pirelli SuperCorsa's but they are all 160-60/17 rears. It calls for a 170 rear. Anyone have experience with a 160 on the rear of a tuber?

It also has a Forcewinder (I think) intake and a Borla exhaust. The fueling is great. Snap it open from idle without a hint of a bog or miss, but it does fart and pop A LOT! I'm gonna make up some sort of baffle cause it's way too loud. Suggestions? I have the mid pipe baffles from a Hayabusa (several actually) and was thinking of modifying those to go in the muffler. Any reason why not to?

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote