User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Mud$hooter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
On our way to NZ and need a hand

Okay, so the bikes in Dunedin, the carnet has been processed and we are in Thailand just waiting for our plane tickets to see our beautiful motorcycle.

My wife and I just spoke with one of her friends about meeting us down in the South Island for a 2 week trip starting around November 22nd. The only problem is transportation. We have looked into renting an additional motorcycle, preferably 250cc, for my wife to drive while her friend rides on the back of my bike. My wife has her motorcycle endorsment and experience, while her friend has no experience whatsoever.

Do any of you know of a cheap motorcycle shop we could rent from? Or do any of you have an old beater (reliable), 250cc'ish (for the wife) motorcycle we could borrow (rent)?

Any help would be much appreciated!

David

TheWintersAbroad

2006 KTM 640 ADV - Currently in San Diego

Mud$hooter screwed with this post 11-04-2010 at 07:10 AM
Mud$hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,373
Cool! Rosie & I will be touring down there at the same time. Are you planning to go to the Burt Munro Rally in Invercargil? (25-28 Nov)

In Dunedin there is this hire company that do a 250: http://www.backroadsbikes.co.nz/index.html

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
wpoll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Hey David,

If you need a hand with anything in Dunedin, let me know. Even if it's just advice on where to get the best coffee. :-)

Clint's link about the bike is probably your best bet but there are a couple of other options - I'll check 'em out and get back to you...

"...The world is actually on your side..." - Ted Simon
wpoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 748
PM me if you need a hand with anything or just to say hi.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
Mud$hooter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Dunedin

Thanks for all the replies! The plan is to spend 1 1/2 months between the South and the North Island. We are due to arrive on the 13th but might not have the registration and insurance completed for a couple days after.

Clint- I'm just Google-ing the Burt Monro Rally right now... Looks Awesome! Heidi and I are looking forward to finally meeting you two. Can you pm me your mobile number so we can contact you once things are settled?

If any of you are available, maybe we can all get together and come up with a route for Heidi and I to take? We haven't had much time to plan ahead, all we have is a rough itinerary.

Let me know what you guys think!

David

2006 KTM 640 ADV - Currently in San Diego
Mud$hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,373
Good stuff, PM on it's way with ph#. Our loose plan is to stay somewhere south of Fairlie 22 Nov, Te Anau 23 Nov, then on to Invercargil.

3 weeks per island will give you time for a good look around. If you are keen to go to the Burt Rally, I would head out from Dunedin & spend some time looking around the Mt Cook / Mackenzie / Otago / Southland area over a few days on your way South, here are some notes I have on interesting roads in that area:

Mackenzie Country etc

All of Highway 8 down into Otago is a nice road ride. Take the short side trip up to the Mt John observatory at Tekapo for a twisty hillclimb & great views.

For some gravel, from Burkes Pass on Highway 8 head over the Mackenzie Pass then either down the Hakataramea Valley Road (the ‘Haka Track’) or down to Black Forest Station on the edge of Lake Benmore where for a small fee you can ride the very scenic pylon track down to the Benmore Dam. Once in the Waitaki Valley the dirt traveler can continue south via Danseys Pass to Naseby, or from Omarama over the mildly gnarly Omarama Saddle Track to St Bathans
Otago – Fiordland

Lots of great road riding in this area, standouts are the Crown Range from Wanaka to Queenstown, Glenorchy to Kinloch on the Lake Wakatipu shore & the spectacular Milford Sound Road. Out on the East Coast the Otago Peninsula is a neat twisty side trip

Dirt/Gravel: The Thomson Gorge Road is a neat crossing from Omakau in the Maniototo over to Bendigo towards Wanaka. Good side trips out of Queenstown include the Skippers Canyon, & the skifield roads all provide some fun & views. The gnarly splash up the Arrow River to Macetown is big fun in summer. The most adventurous way south out of Queenstown is to load your bike on the TSS Earnslaw & steam across the lake to Walter Peak Station, leave the tourists behind & ride off on the remote gravel roads towards Te Anau with a side trip up to the Mavora Lakes. Another iconic route is the Nevis Road from Bannockburn to Garston, many stream crossings make it fun in summer but caution is required after rain. The Old Dunstan Trail from Moa Creek near Alexandra south-east to Clarks Junction is a great dirt road. Crossing the Dunstan is the Onslow Road from Patearoa to Roxburgh, another isolated, scenic dirt road through the wide open tussock country.

Southland: Highway 92 around the Catlins is a good road ride on a spectacular coast

Then after the Burt you could head west via the Haast Pass, up the coast, maybe back over Arthurs Pass to Christchurch, then up to explore Nelson, Golden Bay & Marlborough before sailing north on the ferry from Picton.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
or another good ride,head out of dunedin on the northern motorway 'til you
hit evensdale,then take the old coast road(great sea views) to karitane,then
shoot up the sh1 for a couple of kms,then take the gravel road to bucklands
crossing and carry on to the nenthorn road,turn right at the nenthorn valley
road which will take you to macreas where there is a bloody great hole in the
ground(gold mine) and a nice old historic pub where you could enjoy a nice
cold ale or 2.
then head west back out of macreas and take the moonlight road to middlemarch(gravel).
from there you could turn northish which will take you towards central otago and a multitude of options or you could head southish back to dunedin or other options.
feel free to pm me for any info
DBS
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote