Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,700
iPhone Motorcycle App Thread

Ok
Let me start by saying I am not an Apple guy. The iphone and is the only thing I ever bought from Apple. I am not telling anyone to go buy one, but if you have one this will be hopefully grow into a thread for you.
Post your Favorite App here. And please lets not have this turn into a "my phone is better then yours" pissing match. There are a lot of great phones out there. This is an iPhone APP thread. Apps realted(but not exclusive) to motorcycle travel.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

OK
That being said. I will start this off with a screen shot of my main screen. This is the stuff I use almost every day.

I am a Photographer by trade. My stuff leans in that direction. But for fun I play some of the Tag O Rama games here on ADV. And a lot of the above apps make it almost unfair when playing the game.

Most of these are obvious, so I will just talk about my 2 favorite TOR tools.

PS Express is free- And it is Photoshop. You can lighten, crop and more from just that program. Cropping is always a good thing if you are uploading from an area with poor internet.

Photobucket- Is where I choose to host my images. The app must of been designed by an ADV member. Its so easy to upload and post tags. The latest version is perfect. The original sucked. So if you tried it and deleted it, its time to come back to this wonderful free program.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
StarFleet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I'm a iOS / Mac developer currently so I have a handful of iOS devices available to me ;)

Apps I use for motorcycling:

MotoMinder - Keeps track of service intervals and gas milage
GreatestRoad - Find good rides wherever you are
Campwhere - All state campgrounds stored on the device. Great for when you are looking for a place to stay but don't have any cellular connection.
NorthFace Trailhead - Kinda alright if you are looking for a place to hike or mountain bike.

iOS 4.2 broke MotoMinder for me so I hope they fix it soon.
StarFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Nice. I could of used campwhere last weekend.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
wraith9
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Skype - great for making calls via wifi hotspots.
Trip Journal - cool features for recording and posting your trip.
wraith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,299
Navigon for when your primary GPS dies on you....pricey, but it works.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
ColoradoKevin
Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer: 234
Skype is great.

Several of the weather apps have radar, which is nice when you're riding. I've used them to dodge thunderstorms multiple times.

I also like Campwhere and the built in Google Maps app is very useful.

Hipstamatic is a fun photography app.
ColoradoKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Gps MotionX Drive- 99cents and it turns your phone into a full function gps unit. Voice turn by turn instructions for the first 30 days. $2.99 a month after that or $24 a year for the voice nav. Cheap considering your map info is always up to date. I use it for all my on road navigation. Offroad I use MotionX gps.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 327
I agree with all of the above. I like to have 2 GPS apps on my iPhone at a time: a less expensive but connected/easier one that needs a network connection (e.g. Motion-X Drive) and a more expensive but slightly harder to use one that will work when I'm in an area without phone/3G coverage (e.g. TomTom).

For videos I've taken to using VLC. It's incredibly easy to drag and drop all my videos, in all their different formats, on the iPhone/iPad so I can view them while traveling. Though I personally don't even like listening to music while I'm riding, I figure it's only a matter of time until someone starts watching movies in flight. Actually, now that I think of it, maybe there needs to be an iPad holder for the pilot's back so the pillion can watch while moving ;-).
And, of course, Greatest Road holds the most prominent place. Actually, I do use it on a regular basis as a consumer, and have found a whole bunch of unknown-to-me roads nearby.

Daniel

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
Road Agent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I'm looking for a good App to use for a mini travel journal when on trips, just to take quick notes. Any Suggestions, I've looked around and none of the Apps I've looked at, seem to get great reviews. I'm looking at Simple Note, anyone using it?

Thanks,

Road Agent
IBA #38299
Road Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
jtice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
you guys have to try out www.Everytrail.com
its awesome, both with the iPhone, or just using it to create trips from your gps unit.
jtice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #12
antonv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Pandora Radio & Navigon streaming via Bluetooth to my SENA SMH10 unit.

I have the direct power to my tankbag, and can listen to music all day and have very accurate directions, all from one unit. Plus, if the gf calls, I can answer & speak to her.

Sure beats making playlists.

FYI, I despise Apple...... But for the bike, this is an all in one unit that does everything I need. I just need to jailbreak my phone so I can upload routes to Navigon. Its a PITA to make them on the phone.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
dpifko

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonv
Pandora Radio & Navigon streaming via Bluetooth to my SENA SMH10 unit.

I have the direct power to my tankbag, and can listen to music all day and have very accurate directions, all from one unit. Plus, if the gf calls, I can answer & speak to her.

Sure beats making playlists.

FYI, I despise Apple...... But for the bike, this is an all in one unit that does everything I need. I just need to jailbreak my phone so I can upload routes to Navigon. Its a PITA to make them on the phone.
How did you get power into the tankbag? There are a few options out there, so I'm curious to know which ones people like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Agent
I'm looking for a good App to use for a mini travel journal when on trips, just to take quick notes.
I haven't played with it much, but a friend's startup is doing something you may be interested in. Check out OnTheRoad at http://www.ontheroad.to/ . It's free, so there's no downside to investigating.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #14
antonv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
cable with o-ring terminals with inline fuse from battery to sae male - powerlet tankbag connector (sae female to female) - powerlet sae male to dual cigarette sockets adapter - griffin powerjolt dual usb cigarette adaptor.

one cigarette for the iphone(dual usb cigg unit), one for my V1, or to recharge the Sena unit (havent had to yet....excellent battery life).

I turn off wifi, push email & put the screen brightness down a little bit....stays charged the whole time. Mounted on a ram mount handlebar mount, and I keep a non-lubricated "novelty/mint flavor" condom in the bag if it rains. Havent had to use it yet(for motorcycle or recreation).

The powerlet tankbag adapter isnt 100% waterproof. I purchased some clear silicone sealant to get into the little spots where water could get in. The problem is, these spots are tight & you cant cut a hole small enough in the sealant tube. I think im gonna buy a turkey marinating needle/injector, and try to suck up the silicone & seal the tankbag mount on the outside.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #15
dpifko

Do you find the mint flavor enhances your iOs pleasure?

Thanks for the details. Much appreciated.

Just to keep this on-thread - I had been using the Geocaching app but don't much anymore. It's pretty well put together, and fun for the kids, but I believe it's doing something under the covers that causes it to chew through the battery too quickly. Until they get that figured out I either use it sparingly on the iPhone or look for caches via the home/work computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonv
cable with o-ring terminals with inline fuse from battery to sae male - powerlet tankbag connector (sae female to female) - powerlet sae male to dual cigarette sockets adapter - griffin powerjolt dual usb cigarette adaptor.

one cigarette for the iphone(dual usb cigg unit), one for my V1, or to recharge the Sena unit (havent had to yet....excellent battery life).

I turn off wifi, push email & put the screen brightness down a little bit....stays charged the whole time. Mounted on a ram mount handlebar mount, and I keep a non-lubricated "novelty/mint flavor" condom in the bag if it rains. Havent had to use it yet(for motorcycle or recreation).

The powerlet tankbag adapter isnt 100% waterproof. I purchased some clear silicone sealant to get into the little spots where water could get in. The problem is, these spots are tight & you cant cut a hole small enough in the sealant tube. I think im gonna buy a turkey marinating needle/injector, and try to suck up the silicone & seal the tankbag mount on the outside.