Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #16
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpifko
Do you find the mint flavor enhances your iOs pleasure?

Thanks for the details. Much appreciated.

Just to keep this on-thread - I had been using the Geocaching app but don't much anymore. It's pretty well put together, and fun for the kids, but I believe it's doing something under the covers that causes it to chew through the battery too quickly. Until they get that figured out I either use it sparingly on the iPhone or look for caches via the home/work computer.
I use the GC app as well, it is pretty handy to be able to find them wherever you are. They just posted and update today, haven't tried it yet to see if it's better or not.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #17
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechickencow
I use the GC app as well, it is pretty handy to be able to find them wherever you are. They just posted and update today, haven't tried it yet to see if it's better or not.
I'll check. Nothing in the upgrade list, but they may have tweaked it anyway.

Y'know, the more I think about it the more appropriate GC is for a motorcycle app. Even when not on the bike, geocaching has taken me to some really cool locations I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #18
Mudsurfer1234
Newbie Dual-Sporter

Oddometer: 49
I'm just getting started with this style of riding (a sportbike convert). I don't have a RAM mount yet, but I have MotionX GPS and love it. After making a track in MapSource, you email the GPX file to gpsimport@motionx.com and will shortly get an email back with a link in it. Click this link (from your phone) and it automatically imports the track into the App. It's also pretty sweet to have so many different maps in one app, the Topo is pretty cool for finding any non-paved roads to ride (there are basically zero places to ride off road where I live).

Best $2.99 I spent so far.
Mudsurfer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #19
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,700
I used it for a while and liked it. Then I had to travel across country to help a friend move. And it was going to be an all highway ride. So I downloaded Drive from MotionX. And loved it. I would love a real GPS devise. But MotionX is making it harder and harder for me to spend the money. The iPhone is as good or better then the low end ones. And the high end ones are just to darn expensive.
If I planned on leaving the US I can see spending the cash. But for weird little weekend adventure in Civilization(or the pockets of country in between them), I will stick to the iPhone and my various Ram Mounts. The water proof box for the offroad. And the normal open mount for every day driving.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #20
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Navigon Mobile Navigator

It's a real GPS in that it doesn't need a mobile phone data signal in order to work. All you need is a satellite connection.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #21
kimel
I hit what?

Oddometer: 210
Motion-X Maps

What drives me crazy is that the Motion-X maps have the local roads labeled/named correctly. The Motion-X Drive has roads labeled/named incorrectly. It is like they have derived their map data from two different sources.

Highly annoying. The correct data is out there, they just need to use it. So much for "always up-to-date maps". Yeah, right.
kimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #22
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Funny
I have had no real issues when it comes to road names. But what software is perfect. I just downloaded the 7.2 update of drive. I has some fine changes. Now instead of downloading the maps as you similute the route, you can do either. So now I you can download the maps before you leave. So it will work with no internet connection. Again, its not the best. But definately the best bag for the buck.

But if I could change all GPS software on my iphone, I would change screen view to manual. I hate winding thru turns or bumpy roads and the view changes by itself. I like landscape view, but when in my ram mount it easily gets confused and switches back and forth. But it I have it mounted in Portrait and very verticle it is more stable. Give us a manual view change option and I will be happier.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #23
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,064
Does anyone use GeoTerrestrial?
I have used it for a long time in my WinMo phone, and they have an iPhone version now.
It runs all of the time in the background and I forget it is running. I can use Google maps with it. And it updates your current location online, about like a 'Spot'. It keeps online track logs that you can look up long after you go for a ride and export them to GPX files if you want.
At least the WinMo version does that . It would assume the iPhone version is similar.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #24
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
Anybody have a spot type/gps tracking app that works? My GF has an iphone and would like to track me as I'm out and I just don't have the cash for a spot right now. thx all...
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #25
QualityAir
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl
Anybody have a spot type/gps tracking app that works? My GF has an iphone and would like to track me as I'm out and I just don't have the cash for a spot right now. thx all...
http://appshopper.com/navigation/tra...-your-location

They also have a lite version, if you want to try it.
QualityAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #26
nharrisn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl
I use this, works good...

http://www.instamapper.com/
nharrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #27
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
Thanks everybody, I really appreciate it!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:59 AM   #28
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Sweet. I tested trackr last night. I wish you posted sooner. I had a great ride on Sunday and it would have been a better test.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:14 AM   #29
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 211
Greatest Road

The were showing an app titled Greatest Road at the international motorcycle show in San Mateo this weekend. It is $2.99 from the app store and looks very promising. It has lots of great looking routes, mostly pavement it would seem.

I also use an app called Radar Scope for up-to-date weather radar. Very nice! For camping there is an app called campwhere. If you want to stay in touch with home or listen to radio at a new destination there is a nice app called TunIn Radio. Flickr users can post to their accounts using an app called Flickr Sendr.

Let's Ride!
Old 11-27-2010, 01:27 AM   #30
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,472
Timely thread. I just started my app assault yesterday.

Greatest Roads will be more fun with more "stretches" listed (so get busy ;)). Just OK now.

Instamapper "GPS Tracker" is a hoot. Free spot like app. And it works like a champ. Who knew?

Google earth, of course.

ComeHere looks good.

Mapquest.

Urbanspoon.

Yahoo Sketch.

Flashlight.

Weatherbug.

The several free wifi finders.

And the wild one I'm about to buy

Dynolicious. This one may get me killed ...or arrested. WooHooo!!
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote