Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #31
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356
It appears that the positive leads already come attached and the ground leads can be added as needed.
If you only use a few of the circuits you are going to be left with a big bundle of wires,or else you cut them off.
Too bad they don't sent the colored positive wires loose,like the grounds.Then you use only what you need.

Otherwise,seems like a nice system!

JR356
That makes a pile of sense. It is a good question for Pete at Aerostich. I'll send a note.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #32
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Reply from Aerostich

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356
It appears that the positive leads already come attached and the ground leads can be added as needed.
If you only use a few of the circuits you are going to be left with a big bundle of wires,or else you cut them off.
Too bad they don't sent the colored positive wires loose,like the grounds.Then you use only what you need.

Otherwise,seems like a nice system!

JR356
Here is my exchange with Pete at Aerostich on your idea:

answer from Pete:
Interesting idea. I'm thinking its possible to remove any unused wires (we're checking on this right now). When you remove the interface plug, it looks like you could push out the plugs with a small screw driver or similar tool. We decided to install all the power leads to make it as easy as possible for folks to wire it up (but the ground leads are very optional).

I'll forward your suggestion "upstairs" for future consideration.

Pete

my question::Pete;
Why don't you just ship the entire set of load leads (power and ground) separately, like the grounds? As you likely know, this module appeal to those who want the neatest, most orderly, aux wiring system they can make on their bike. Most are not likely to use all available circuits (I know I won't). It would be nice to do a "virgin" installation of the colored power wires we need and save the rest for future expansion. As it is, we will either need to cut off, or bundle and stow the unused circuits.

Can we special-order them without any wires installed into the connector?

John Smallberries screwed with this post 11-30-2010 at 04:38 AM
Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #33
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,539
Thanks for contacting them!

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 AM   #34
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Aerostich PDM60: removing wires

Aerostich is very high on my vendor list as their people (thanks Pete and Ida) are very responsive to questions. Here is the last response I got from Pete on how to remove wires from the main plug. With this method, you can now customize the PDM60 to only use the number of circuits you want without any extra wires. The unused wires are easily removed from the main plug following the directions in the attached photo:

I also confirmed with Glenn at Clearwater that the 15-amp circuit on the PDM60 is fully capable of running both a set of Krista and Glenda LED aux lights. I'm sold on this thing and waiting for Santa to bring it down the chimney.

Just ask my daugther - she was very happy as well:

(ask me about Ethiopian adoption anytime.....)
Old 12-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #35
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Aerostich is very high on my vendor list as their people (thanks Pete and Ida) are very responsive to questions. Here is the last response I got from Pete on how to remove wires from the main plug. With this method, you can now customize the PDM60 to only use the number of circuits you want without any extra wires. The unused wires are easily removed from the main plug following the directions in the attached photo:

I also confirmed with Glenn at Clearwater that the 15-amp circuit on the PDM60 is fully capable of running both a set of Krista and Glenda LED aux lights. I'm sold on this thing and waiting for Santa to bring it down the chimney.

Just ask my daugther - she was very happy as well:

(ask me about Ethiopian adoption anytime.....)
She is a beautiful child, and your bike is WAY too clean!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #36
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Not any more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
She is a beautiful child, and your bike is WAY too clean!
I took that the day I brought it home. This is it's punishment recently:
Old 12-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #37
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Great idea - obnoxious, huge, ugly-ass display/control unit! It looks like it belongs on a factory-floor lathe, not a motorcycle.

Good to have options!
It won't look to bad on ugly-industrial styled 1200GS. This thing has an unprecedented level of functionality. Not only it works like a fuse panel/ power distribution unit, but it integrates several adjustable heated gear controllers, switches for all outputs, USB chargers, voltmeter, ambient temperature and a clock. If you have a need for most of the above, it may be worth $400 investment.

Your daughter is very cute!
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #38
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Give it a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
It won't look to bad on ugly-industrial styled 1200GS. This thing has an unprecedented level of functionality. Not only it works like a fuse panel/ power distribution unit, but it integrates several adjustable heated gear controllers, switches for all outputs, USB chargers, voltmeter, ambient temperature and a clock. If you have a need for most of the above, it may be worth $400 investment.

Your daughter is very cute!
Agree - buy one and let us all know how it works out. I'm going to try the Aerostich gizmo and will post photos, etc.

There is no end to the opportunities to dump money into these bikes!

Thanks!!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #39
srowe41
Mr. Resistor

Oddometer: 13
PDM60 Info

There seems to be a lot of questions about the PDM60, how it works, what can be done with it, etc, so I'm going to offer to share a bit of information to help things along. I concieved the idea for the PDM60 and my company developed and builds the product. I can't sell them to you, that's what Aerostich does, but I can help them support the product so you better understand how it works. Unless of course they get pissed off about my posting here...Then they could be available direct.

This may be a little dry to some, but it's the nuts and bolts of the product. The original concept of the PDM60 was to get around the Canbus system current draw limits on the newer BMW motorcycles. Mirroring some of the functionality with much greater current capacity, but it ended up being much more than that.

The units available from Aerostich are configured to their specification but the product can be configured just about any way you want it as long as you keep the current draw max to 60 AMPs total with a per circuit max of 15 AMPs. The system features an ignition trigger which senses ignition on/off, if you want to use it, and we recommend you do; over current protection, easily resettable; diagnostic LED's so you know what it's doing and a choice of always on, ignition trigger on/off, variable time delay off (like for your GPS to stay on after the bike is off or for heated clothing to prevent battery run down). The auxiliary switch can be configured to work with the ignition trigger off, but the intent was for this feature to work with the ignition trigger for use on high draw items like driving lights and would not work with the system off. Thre are no replaceable parts to lose or corrode.

With exception of some very early production units, the product can be reconfigured by the factory if you find the settings to be unacceptable. Addtionally, any properly equipped dealer/distributor will have capability to custom program the units after January 2011 when our "dashboard" software will be released.

Wires can be removed from the connector if not needed, and we would be happy to provide them with no wires populated if the dealer/distributor is willing to order them that way. There is already a design change underway that will accomodate these needs.

The product was built by and for a rider. It's completely waterproof, unlike other fuse type products available, and yes, it's more expensive than a fuse block, but they really aren't even in the same category.

Any questions/comments/feedback would be welcome and appreciated.

Ride safe and leave your fuses at home

Steve Rowe
srowe41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #40
the kaz
has become "FERAL"

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by srowe41 View Post
There seems to be a lot of questions about the PDM60, how it works, what can be done with it, etc, so I'm going to offer to share a bit of information to help things along. I concieved the idea for the PDM60 and my company developed and builds the product. I can't sell them to you, that's what Aerostich does, but I can help them support the product so you better understand how it works. Unless of course they get pissed off about my posting here...Then they could be available direct.

This may be a little dry to some, but it's the nuts and bolts of the product. The original concept of the PDM60 was to get around the Canbus system current draw limits on the newer BMW motorcycles. Mirroring some of the functionality with much greater current capacity, but it ended up being much more than that.

The units available from Aerostich are configured to their specification but the product can be configured just about any way you want it as long as you keep the current draw max to 60 AMPs total with a per circuit max of 15 AMPs. The system features an ignition trigger which senses ignition on/off, if you want to use it, and we recommend you do; over current protection, easily resettable; diagnostic LED's so you know what it's doing and a choice of always on, ignition trigger on/off, variable time delay off (like for your GPS to stay on after the bike is off or for heated clothing to prevent battery run down). The auxiliary switch can be configured to work with the ignition trigger off, but the intent was for this feature to work with the ignition trigger for use on high draw items like driving lights and would not work with the system off. Thre are no replaceable parts to lose or corrode.

With exception of some very early production units, the product can be reconfigured by the factory if you find the settings to be unacceptable. Addtionally, any properly equipped dealer/distributor will have capability to custom program the units after January 2011 when our "dashboard" software will be released.

Wires can be removed from the connector if not needed, and we would be happy to provide them with no wires populated if the dealer/distributor is willing to order them that way. There is already a design change underway that will accomodate these needs.

The product was built by and for a rider. It's completely waterproof, unlike other fuse type products available, and yes, it's more expensive than a fuse block, but they really aren't even in the same category.

Any questions/comments/feedback would be welcome and appreciated.

Ride safe and leave your fuses at home

Steve Rowe
How is the device "reconfigured" ? And would an advanced user be able to do it themselves ?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #41
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

The Horses Mouth!

Steve
Thanks for posting! It is very cool to have a direct connection with the inventor. Do you have any photos of a PDM60 installed on a bike (with a BMW 1200GS preferred, of course!)

Are you saying that I could reconfigure the circuits for a different set of current limits, as long as the total draw stays under 60 amps? I assume I could tie two outputs together for 30 amps-right?

That may be useful to me as my gadget list is as follows
- Stebel horn (rumored to need 30 amps)
- full set of heated gear at 15 amps
- Clearwater Krista LED aux lights at under 7 amps
- iPhone charger at 2 amps
- Zumo (I assume to be under 1 amp)
- tiny aux LEDs - milliamps

I live west of Detroit. Is there anyone around me that could do this next year?
Old 12-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #42
srowe41
Mr. Resistor

Reconfiguring

Quote:
Originally Posted by the kaz View Post
How is the device "reconfigured" ? And would an advanced user be able to do it themselves ?
You would have to be set up with our "Dashboard" software and programming tool. It would be more economical to send the unit in for an update.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #43
hooligan971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Looks like a sweet gadget. I see where Steve mentions it was built "by and for a rider" and I'm sure said rider has his own personal requirements for powering his accessories(5A 5A 5A 15A etc..),and that it would work for many others, but I think maybe we should pick a few combinations of options and start a poll thread. Maybe if there is enough interest they would consider taking the favorite configuration in the poll and sell it along side the origional as the ADV model giving maybe a better choice for different setups without having to order it then send it somewhere to have it changed.
hooligan971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #44
srowe41
Mr. Resistor

Quote:
Steve
Thanks for posting! It is very cool to have a direct connection with the inventor. Do you have any photos of a PDM60 installed on a bike (with a BMW 1200GS preferred, of course!)

Are you saying that I could reconfigure the circuits for a different set of current limits, as long as the total draw stays under 60 amps? I assume I could tie two outputs together for 30 amps-right?

That may be useful to me as my gadget list is as follows
- Stebel horn (rumored to need 30 amps)
- full set of heated gear at 15 amps
- Clearwater Krista LED aux lights at under 7 amps
- iPhone charger at 2 amps
- Zumo (I assume to be under 1 amp)
- tiny aux LEDs - milliamps

I live west of Detroit. Is there anyone around me that could do this next year?
John,

We have not tried tying the leads together for a larger output capacity but it's an interesting enough idea that we will set one up here and give it a try.

As for picutures, I don't have a standard GS right now. I can get you images on an HP2, 1200RT or a 1200 Multistrada.

Steve
Old 12-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #45
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by srowe41 View Post
John,

We have not tried tying the leads together for a larger output capacity but it's an interesting enough idea that we will set one up here and give it a try.

As for picutures, I don't have a standard GS right now. I can get you images on an HP2, 1200RT or a 1200 Multistrada.

Steve
Steve;
Thanks. What makes this forum so helpful is people sharing pictures of their rides, bikes and projects. We'd like to see any photos you have.

PM me if you need help getting the photos posted in the thread. I upload mine to a SmugMug account, then cut/paste an "embeddable link" into the thread from there.

Craig (aka John Smallberries)