Old 08-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #61
MEDIC-0372 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ARX
My next project bike
Well...the gas tank looks good.

Hey good luck, that is a nice looking bike...hope you get it fixed up.

The life we save may be your's...
MEDIC-0372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #62
TW1STY
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hi everyone,

Just picked up an almost new 2009 XT250 last week. 1,400 miles and nary a scratch! I already added some acerbis "bark busters." Other than that it is bone stock. Unfortunately the only pic I can access right now is the cell phone pic I took after my first "dirty" ride.

It has taken a little while to adjust. My "street" bike is a MV Agusta Brutale 910s. So I was a little disappointed at first with the lack of power. I know, "what did I expect?" But just being honest here.

That was my first impression...until I got her off the highway! What a difference! This bike is an absolute dream on trails. Power is very managable (I hadn't ridden dirt in 20 years...and I'm only 37). Also, the fit is perfect for me. I'm 5'6 and 165 lbs. On my first real "off-road" experience, I followed a buddy on a Yamaha WR250 with no issues (granted, he wasn't exactly trying to shake me!). The back roads and trails of SW Virginia make this area a motorcyclists paradise. We must have hit 8 creek crossings as we rode through many miles of the VA hills.

Anyway, I thought I'd just check in and say hi. Also, I'm looking for a rear rack. Any suggestions?

Twin Valley Friggin' Ralley
More of a good time than ought to be legal...
TW1STY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #63
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer: 158
Wink Love my XT250

Here is a couple pics of my 2009.
Got a 1000 miles so far and getting ready for some multiday rides this fall.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #64
MEDIC-0372 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Looking Good...

Old 11-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #65
MEDIC-0372 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OKI just put my second set of IRC GP-110s on my XT-250. The first set had 7945 miles and the front tire was badly cupped and the rear wasnt too bad. These tires are much better than the original Chinese made tires that came with the bike.

What pressure (psi) should I run these tires at for road use. When I do off road riding I do plan on lowering the psi and I have no questions about off road riding at this time.

The bike is 290 lbs and I am 200 lbs. The manual states that I should run the OEM tires at about 22 psi for the front and 25 psi for the rear. That is what I ran the first set of GP-110s at. I have been told and read that I should be running these tires at higher pressures. As stated I will be running these 100% on the road (if I go off road I will adjust the psi). The tire states on the side wall Max Load 584 lbs with Max Pressure of 36psi. SoIm thinking that I have been running my tires a bil low.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Also, where can I get some concrete info on this issue.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/irc-gp110-streettrail-tire

Thanks,
MEDIC

Old 11-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #66
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,425
Question sprocket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish John
Sorry no photos but Locopostie's XT is set up just like my wife's. Same small shield and same water proof tail bag. I also made a small rack which I have bolted to the flat on the rear fender which gives a bit more room on the seat and stabilizes the load. I also changed the stock type tires for Avon Distenza's which really improved the ride and handling. We are still running the stock gearing so on the slab, it's good for about 72-75 mph. I am thinking of putting a 15t counter shaft sprocket on it which should drop the rpms at speed by about 500. However, it will likely also effect low speed or off road handling.

This past summer we did a 1800 mile light weight tour of Colorado and Utah. She on her '08 XT 250 and me on my '09 KLX250. I really like the larger gas tank on the XT. The KLX will only go about 70-75miles before reserve. Unlike the XT which will do at least 125miles. They are great little bike! In fact, I would rather have one of these for myself than my KLX. We just got back on Monday from a week of light weight touring. We did the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoha Natl Park.
My wife just got a new left-over '09 XT 250, and after one afternoon of riding we think it would be better with +1t more on the front or maybe -3t less on the rear. It is realy slow in first, even the hard stuff should be ok if we gear it up a little. So question #1 Doesn't it have a 15t on the front now? Question #2 Where can you find a 16t front or a 45t rear? I can find nothing but 15t fronts and 46,47,48, rears
Old 11-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #67
dean-o
Dabs often

Oddometer: 816
comparison to late 90s dr350se?

how well does the later xt250 compare to the suzuki dr350se? thanks for your knowledge!
dean
tennessee
dean-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:19 AM   #68
FreckledAvenger
Trainee Stunt Double

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg
My wife just got a new left-over '09 XT 250, and after one afternoon of riding we think it would be better with +1t more on the front or maybe -3t less on the rear. It is realy slow in first, even the hard stuff should be ok if we gear it up a little. So question #1 Doesn't it have a 15t on the front now? Question #2 Where can you find a 16t front or a 45t rear? I can find nothing but 15t fronts and 46,47,48, rears
I have a 45T rear - as the Oz model XT250 is different from the US model I was able to get one from a Tricker that fit. It seems a nice compromise for my riding - personally I would not go too much further than this if you are doing much offroad ...

For a front try Superior Sprockets (http://www.superiorsprockets.com/) who now do fronts including a 16T. Previously the only way to get this beast was from AFAM Japan or a after-market stockist of AFAM (normally in Europe).

Alternatively for a rear try Rebel Gears - they are excellent to deal with. They have an XT250 model on their catalogue with sizes varying from 42T up ... Be careful when you order as the sprocket from the older model XTs will not fit. An alternative is off an older style FZR400 with the 428 chain which also does fit if you can not find any other alternative ...
FreckledAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #69
empanadaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Just brought her home yesterday. Ordered a Scorpio SR-i900 alarm, some panniers and an FMF Powercore 4 today.

empanadaman screwed with this post 12-02-2010 at 08:24 PM
empanadaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #70
shoco
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by empanadaman View Post
Just brought her home yesterday. Ordered a Scorpio SR-i900 alarm, some panniers and an FMF Powercore 4 today.
Congrats. Such a great, under-rated bike. Enjoy!
shoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:06 AM   #71
FreckledAvenger
Trainee Stunt Double

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Love to hear how the FMF exhaust goes - I have been thinking about getitng one for my XT too ...
FreckledAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #72
MEDIC-0372 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice bike...Welcome.

Tell me about the tires you got on there.

Quote:

Old 12-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #73
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
My only mark against the 250 is that it's a five speed. That's one of the best things about the 225. That and how suprisingly torquey the 225 is.

Jon
If you think the 225 is torquey, you've gotta love the new 250.
That's a 250 Raptor engine in that thing and torqie is what it's all about.
The ONLY thing you'll miss about the 6th gear on the 250 is shifting one more gear.
If you look into the final drive ratios for each bike (225 vs 250) you'll see they're almost identical on top. The beauty is, the 250 pulls longer and harder through all it's gears so it doesn't need them as closely spaced as the 225 does and that's the reason the final drives are almost the same and the 250 has NO NEED for a 6th gear.
Don't judge the little bugger by it's lack of a 6th gear. You wont miss it.

Ps. The rear Disc more than makes up for that 6th gear.
You guys have me missing my 08. I shouldn't have traded it in on the DR; just kept it and had a higher monthly payment. (sniffle, sniffle!)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #74
empanadaman
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoco View Post
Congrats. Such a great, under-rated bike. Enjoy!
Thanks! I think it will suit my needs very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreckledAvenger View Post
Love to hear how the FMF exhaust goes - I have been thinking about getitng one for my XT too ...
Got the FMF exhaust last week but I'm going to wait until the bike is broken in to put it on I think. I bought it now because I found a pretty good deal on one for $202.85 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/FMF-MUFFLER-PC...2112121&sr=8-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDIC-0372 View Post
Nice bike...Welcome.

Tell me about the tires you got on there.
Thanks!

Bridgestone TW-301 front, TW-302 back. I had figured they were stock on the 2010 XT250 but idk. I bought it from a dealer and it had 2 miles on it when I got it so I don't think they would have changed the tires.

Went for a short ride today. Figured out I have an oval melon and my new Shoei Multitec hurts after 30-40 minutes of wearing it! Damn this big head of mine!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #75
empanadaman
Adventurer

Quick run down to the lake. About froze my nads off on the ride home. Mesh jacket works really great letting air in. Sadly for me the air is cooold right now. Gonna need to buy another jacket if I want to ride much more before Spring!

empanadaman screwed with this post 12-12-2010 at 02:06 PM