Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #46
Road Agent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
OK, so I'm a month late on this one. I still haven't found anything better than a moleskin and a pen. OK, so it's not an app. It's still the right tool for the job. They come in plain paper and graph paper versions, too.

Yeah, I know what you mean! I've used spiral 5X7 notebooks for years for my trip journals which works pretty well. I do find that I have to go back and look at maps, gas receipts, etc. to figure out where I was, what the town name was, (and how to spell it), Route #s, and other details I sometimes forget. I thought by documenting a few notes on an iPhone I could do a better job of journalism. In the evening I thought I could look at notes and thoughts during the day and write something more accurate and better documented. Some days, if it's been a really long day, I may not get around to doing the journal until the next night, and some of the days info is forgotten or missed.

Thanks to everyone in the thread for their thoughts!

Steve
IBA #38299
Road Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #47
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Agent View Post
I do find that I have to go back and look at maps, gas receipts, etc. to figure out where I was, what the town name was, (and how to spell it), Route #s, and other details I sometimes forget.
Ahhh, that's where the GPS comes in. One with a very long track log, a way to save daily track logs on unit, or a way to download the track logs helps. Then I can just note a time and use the track log overlay on a google map to figure out the roads, towns, and other good stuff.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #48
ironmtnracing
MotoQuest Seattle

Oddometer: 684
Check out Pocket Scout.

It was an app originally designed to support Hollywood location scouts and allows for a mapped waypoint, photos of the location and notes.

Very clean little app.

Quote:
Ahhh, that's where the GPS comes in. One with a very long track log, a way to save daily track logs on unit, or a way to download the track logs helps. Then I can just note a time and use the track log overlay on a google map to figure out the roads, towns, and other good stuff.
ironmtnracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #49
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 323
Navigate to a photo's location with TomTom

Quote:
Here's another good feature - in the latest version of TomTom, you can navigate to the location of any picture that has lat/long coordinates. Very cool. It makes it really easy to lay down waypoints - just take a picture. Done.

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #50
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,627
Photobucket has another great update today. You can now pick multiple images to upload at the same time. No more one by one. And it finally works in the background. And it texts you when the upload is complete with the offer to view them.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #51
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
Photobucket has another great update today. You can now pick multiple images to upload at the same time. No more one by one. And it finally works in the background. And it texts you when the upload is complete with the offer to view them.
Considering that SmugMug funds ADVrider, you might want to get a SmugMug account.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #52
Mendodave
Road Scholar

Oddometer: 860
Car Care

I use Car Care for maintenance and service tracking, not just for the bike, cars too.

works quite well.

david
Mendodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #53
jtice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Agent View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for an App for journal entries. I like to keep a daily journal of my trips, at present, I'm either hand writing notes in a small notebook, or firing up the laptop and doing a journal in MS word. I'd like an App that would basically let me take notes for each day, I have no desire to update to facebook, or a blog, or store on the internet in some cloud! Just want to jot down the days events, and then maybe re-write them when I get home on a real desktop,with a big screen. It would be nice to be able to export my notes in some kind of format that I could get into word on my home computer. I've looked at several journal apps but I thought I'd ask here first before spending a bunch of time figuring out what did and did not work for me. I've even looked as some of the simple note programs, and possibly one of those will do what I want.

Your wisdom is appreciated!

Steve
You need to check out the Everytrail.com site and iphone app then !
I love it, been doing all my recent trips on it.
jtice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #54
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Considering that SmugMug funds ADVrider, you might want to get a SmugMug account.
How is their app for the iPhone? Is it good? Is it free? I am all for supporting sponsors that support adv. But it has to be good and easy. I have been with Photobucket for a long time. With zero complaints. I woul hate to change. But if it's better, why not.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #55
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

I tried joining. But it wasn't free. Call me cheap. I will stick to Photobucket. I believe my account is free there because of how long I have been a member. If they start charging me, I will give smug mug a try.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #56
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,626
My all-time favorite iPhone app is RadarScope. It's an elegant little app that parses the raw NEXRAD weather radar data feed and renders it -- faster and more efficient than downloading the already-rendered radar images from the National Weather Service or wherever.

It also uses Location Services to track current position and can automatically choose the nearest weather radar. I'm doing a long trip next May and plan to mount my iPhone on the handlebar with RadarScope running so I can keep an eye on weather that's in my path. In the past I've just kept the phone in my pocket and checked RadarScope when taking a break, sometimes adjusting my route or schedule according to what the radar is showing. But on a long trip it would be nice to have more immediate access to this information.

To keep service records on my bikes and car, I use Road Trip.

Campwhere is a great app for finding a campground -- it's got virtually all public campgrounds, from national parks down to city campgrounds.

GreatestRoad is a nice little app for collecting excellent stretches of road.

I'm still looking for an ideal GPS app. I want one with quality offline maps, but the few existing apps that include maps are very automotive-focused. The TomTom app, for example, does not allow route planning with more than a single viapoint.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #57
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
My all-time favorite iPhone app is RadarScope. It's an elegant little app that parses the raw NEXRAD weather radar data feed and renders it -- faster and more efficient than downloading the already-rendered radar images from the National Weather Service or wherever.
Looks nice but $9.99 We're talking about a data feed that is free. For that price, I'll stick with the slower alternatives or just use the www.wunderground.com/radar link on the iphone to access the same data.
IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #58
PARIAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Agent
I'm looking for a good App to use for a mini travel journal when on trips, just to take quick notes. Any Suggestions, I've looked around and none of the Apps I've looked at, seem to get great reviews. I'm looking at Simple Note, anyone using it?
Check out "Awesome Note." I'm very impressed with it.

http://www.bridworks.com/anote/en/main/index.php
Old 12-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #59
indr

Oddometer: 1,197
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:04 AM   #60
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
I tried joining. But it wasn't free. Call me cheap. I will stick to Photobucket. I believe my account is free there because of how long I have been a member. If they start charging me, I will give smug mug a try.
Nothing worth having is free. SmugMug is infinitely better than Photobucket.

US$35.00 per year gets you professional photo hosting (it'll support RAW, full-sized pictures, etc.) AND keeps ADVrider ad-free and private?

That's a bargain in my book.

...Or maybe you prefer the more commercial motorcycle sites.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote