Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #16
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 548
I think BMW have hit the nail on the head here. There was nothing much wrong with the old F650gs and the parallel twin version was... crap. There, I said it. I had the 800gs and that was crap too. I said it again...
This is a lazy redesign of a bike that didn't need redesigning. Also redesigning cost money and so does research , neither have gone into this which is why they're planning to sell it cheap, cheap enough to be financially competitive against the Jap-crap.
I will be interested if there's a "Dakar" version but even without it this is a good basis for a true adventure capable bike.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #17
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
This just in, seems BMW are bringing back the single cylinder 650GS with 48 bhp for 2011. Nice! I like thumpers more than parallel twins and the 650 Dakar I had before was a sweet bike.

More pictures here: http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...50gs/?gal=1#/4

An ADV version with spoked wheels, knobbies, sump guard, hand guards etc is what we'd really want though...
Linky no worky without paying $$$$$$$
Old 12-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #18
jtw000
Survivor

I reckon they will do a "better" version and call it "Adventure" as Dakar just isn't relevant any more. Anyway, BMW are pretty good with the options list now, that's where they make their money. You may be able to turn the G650gs into a decent bike by ticking the right boxes... and paying the right amount.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #19
sellmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet...

...the engine on this has been de-tuned down to 48HP. I've read elsewhere that this will meet a new Euro-restriction on certain moto-licenses.

I'm wondering how the tuning was done? If the G650 engine is mostly intact from the X-challenge days then maybe it would be a simple FI map change at the dealer to put it back to 52+HP...?
sellmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #20
antonv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
48 bhp?

pretty sure my 05 packs a whopping 51 bhp
Old 12-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #21
jtw000
Survivor

This is not an X-challenge engine. This is the likely the old F650gs engine with different coloured casings. Nothing wrong with that, it was a good engine. It's likely to have a new computer so tuning will have to wait until a new power commander comes out but most BMWs are smart machines and respond well to new exhausts and filter and removing any obstacles to breathing. It's likely you'll get more response instead of more power but if power is your bag this is probably not the bike for you. This is a commuter/tourer/all rounder/green-lanes maybe type machine and is probably going to be very competent.
Is it only me that thinks that BMW rebuilding the old F650gs into a new machine is a smart and good move for everyone? It's not for me but if I had to choose it would be this over every parallel twin every single time.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #22
sellmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
This is not an X-challenge engine. This is the likely the old F650gs engine with different coloured casings.

Okay, I'll offer that it isn't an X-challenge engine, but it absolutely-certainly is not the old F650GS engine. Evidence observed on the LHS engine case cover. The cover matches the X-Challenge design or is at least very similar. Note the clutch cover can be removed without having to remove the whole case cover.

When the G650GS was release I read that the engine was the G650 engine, as in the engine from the X-line of bikes that was phased out of production. This seemed to be the case as the engines looked identical right down to the paint. The new release shows the paint has changed but the engine looks the same to me.

-thoughts?
Old 12-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #23
antonv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
looks like the same rotax engine to me. also read that the tank hold 3 liters less fuel....at least there is fuel gauge on this one.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #24
Rainrider
Rainrider

Oddometer: 24
Chinese Engine

Didn't they source this engine from China? For some reason that really bugs me, but try to buy anything these days from other than China, including most everything in the Harley Boutique. I like the white and it does look cool, if the price is close to the KLR 650 Kawie I'd buy the BMW to strap on the Trailer Hitch ramp behind my Jeep, holds up to 600 lbs. Did someone say it doesn't come with the heated grips this year? And what's the price? Under $7k? Was actually wanting some advice on this Chinese engine vs the Rotax derived, does it make a difference in the long run? I guess if it's good enough for BMW, who am I to ???
Rainrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #25
jtw000
Survivor

Who are you? You're the end consumer... kind of an important link in the chain.

Well it looks to me like this is an F650 with facelift, including the engine. It appears to be the same engine with subtle modifications aimed most likely at simple manufacture. Any parts it shares with the G650 are probably to keep costs down. I don't want to make it sound like this is a bad thing, it's a very shrewd move. it's a cheap machine, BMW have done no research, no development and can sell this a lot cheaper which is what we hear is going to happen. This is aimed at the lower end of the market to compete directly with Jap machines at a cost level. There was nothing wrong with the F650. It was discontinued so BMW could make more powerful 800 twins which they thought was what people wanted. We didn't want that. We wanted solid and reliable machines and the 800 has not turned out to be that. The G650 has held the door open was far too expensive and over-developed for what it is. This is a return of a great machine if it's handled correctly with a top-line ADV version like the Dakar.

jtw000 screwed with this post 12-16-2010 at 03:41 PM
Old 12-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #26
Rainrider
Rainrider

Oddometer: 24
yeah... I guess you've got a point there. So I could go for the Jap motor instead. ? As long as it's reliable what the hell?
Rainrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #27
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 477
the g650x has a lighter flywheel and stator. its gets its mostly 3 extra hp from that. the new is still down 2 or 3 from old.????. it does have heated grips standard. and im kinda diggin it. oh and the euro resticted model is 35 horsies. just a software mod.
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #28
sellmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by satur9 View Post
the g650x has a lighter flywheel and stator. its gets its mostly 3 extra hp from that. .
Oh, that is how they did it? Originally I thought the engine was just tuned a bit more...I've checked the specs I see that they are both 652cc engines with the same piston and stroke, etc, but I could not find consistent HP/KW specs and I don't have access to the BMW manuals which contain this info.

-The Wiki reports that the G650 engines, both from the X and GS lines were uprated to 53HP with the GS variant containing the original 400watt generator. So I'm still puzzled

Quote:
the new is still down 2 or 3 from old.????. .
The F650GS 2000-2007 was rated at 50HP in the BMW books, so yes, the new one is downrated from both the earlier lineup as well as the original G650 motor.

Quote:
oh and the euro resticted model is 35 horsies. just a software mod.

The Euro restictions were originally 25KW and the F650GS 2000-2007 models offered a compliant restriction on the throttle body where the throttle cable could be relocated to make the bike fit the restriction. This was a mechanical restriciton on the throttlebody, not software. 25KW approximates 33HP, btw.

I think your 35 figure is not HP but KW. Now there is a change, I think, to add an additional licensing step with a 35KW restriction, which approximates the 48HP rating that is being published for the new bike. The licensing is a bit confusing to me but I suspect the downrating of the engine is to make it compliant with the new restriction...?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #29
Mr.Goose
Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer: 1,230
We got the pricing today - a well spec'd US unit will come in around $8800 not bad. Sorry about the cast wheels.

The engine isn't Chinese on this one, production is back in Munich now.

HP quotes. 3hp down on some earlier figures, but this probably runs the heavier stator and gets more charging voltage.

Throttle/Power restriction is ridiculously simple. Just looking at the throttle body cable linkage spool thingy (tech term) on my XChallenge tells all...imagine the cable gets attached at the 3'o clock position instead of the 12 'o clock position. The throttle cable can then only unwind so much opening....simple.

Would be a funny trick to pull on a friend during an oil change.
Mr.Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #30
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 477
BMW Motorrad has just revealed the new G 650 GS, a new single-cylinder enduro that adds a cheeky, light, and adventurous figure. The G650 GS is powered by a 652 cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine with a double overhead camshafts engine that develops 48 HP at 6500 rpm and 60 Nm at 5000 rpm. BMW is also offering a detuned version that develops only 34 HP at 6500 rpm and 47 Nm at 4500 rpm.

i was off 1hp. and i also read( i need to find where i read it) .that the throttle cable thing was to easy to bypass. newer restricted bike need the dealer to change it via a tune.
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote