Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #61
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I was frustrated beyond words, fuming...
Oh, YOu seemed to have words

Just seems so weird, cuz you are the most 'chill' person I think I've ever met You needs your long ride meds like me I guess

Anyway, thanks for sharing that, I look up to you a lot and I sometimes get all agro about stuff too. Glad to see I'm not the only one.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #62
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,896
Thanks 'motic, I was close to 400 miles for the day...if I would have had a one ton truck with a chain...

Old 12-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #63
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

I really hate falling down, so I took it pretty slow as you can tell in the vids.

The wind was blowing a bit and I was still winded from my morning workout.

Things turned to rain around 4,000 feet or so.

I found a few pavement bypasses as I went up towards Dyer, NV...this one dead ended at a drop off.

I was planning on making myself a late breakfast, but I was shivering uncontrollably and needed to get warm and dry. I went to the saloon in Dyer and got some breakfast.

I was heading for a place I'd heard about, I'd been given directions over the internet and figured I'd find it today.

It's hunting season for Big Horn Sheep, so things were pretty quiet around camp.

Medium hot with big time flow thru the tub, very nice early afternoon. I'm going to stay here tonight and do a little unloaded riding this afternoon.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #64
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

I left everything at camp except for my tools and headed out for some exploring.

Roads usually have a reason as did this one.

The grit it took to mine here was impressive.

I had wandered around for a few hours and it was time to head back towards camp. It's kind of nice to have low mileage days(for me), most days will be in the 100 to 150 mile range as I'm planning to immerse myself in every 'Moment' .

Old 12-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #65
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

I see you pathetic one star voters, get a life...I ain't gonna quit. One star is the new five star!!! I was able to gain a star on one of the stickied threads all by myself and I see you trying to scare off the peach...get over yourselves and go for a ride.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #66
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,252
:bump

:5stars :amazing
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:30 AM   #67
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,465
great stuff larryboy

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #68
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,527
Fantastic LarryBoy!

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #69
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

Thanks for reading guys!!

Heading back to camp...

I decided to give myself a chance at bump starting in the morning.

Let's get dinner started!!

The moon, atomic.

This is gonna be tasty!!

Paris gave me a knife for my birthday. He wanted me to have it to stab mean people if I needed to, I'll just cut steaks with it.

There was a sink with hot water and good pressure from the natural hot spring.

It's about 20 degrees tonight, I found a nearby camp with a roaring fire and helped myself to some heat. Back to the tent for some map reading.

The wind blew really hard all night and the sky spit some sort of ice pellets all over the place.

While I ate bacon, eggs and tortillas this is all I had to look at:

I fed the ducks a few scraps.

It's time to head south. I gassed up in Dyer including my extra 1.5 gallon can. Topped off my water in the bathroom sink. South...Death Valley...

I hadn't been in this area for a few years and it took me a few tries to find the road I was after.

Looks like it's still storming in the direction I'm going.

I stopped for a break where I'm going to take a left turn.

Going to go up through the Sylvania Mtns.

I have no set plans and if I can't make it over the top it doesn't really matter, I can come back and try a different route.

I had to double check my map as things look different with snow on the ground.

This is the crest, right around 8500 ft.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #70
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,011
At the 5:15 or 5:20 mark of the Wyman Canyon snow video: "This could be an interesting two weeks!" Ya think?!

Hard to believe we were sweating like mad and begging for shade at that very spot just four months earlier.

Snow ridin', gate jumpin', and a "quick shake down ride" to DV and back before doing it AGAIN for two more weeks--in winter? Hard effin' core! No support truck for you. Five stars for the reporting, the photos, and the trip itself.
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:47 PM   #71
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
At the 5:15 or 5:20 mark of the Wyman Canyon snow video: "This could be an interesting two weeks!" Ya think?!

Hard to believe we were sweating like mad and begging for shade at that very spot just four months earlier.

Snow ridin', gate jumpin', and a "quick shake down ride" to DV and back before doing it AGAIN for two more weeks--in winter? Hard effin' core! No support truck for you. Five stars for the reporting, the photos, and the trip itself.

Yeah man, I forgot I said that right there.

It was an interesting two weeks, that's for sure. Things were a battle to survive on a few nights...we'll get to that soon enough.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:05 AM   #72
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

I tried to get video of going down the narrow section of Tule Canyon, but I was shivering and mixed up which batteries were charged or not. It was pretty cool, the snow was drifted into the narrow slot canyon and I had to break trail in about 2 feet of snow, luckily it was down hill.

This is the turn I normally take down to Roosevelt Well, but I've decided to go over to Gold Point this time.

There is an old cabin ruin here that I use for a landmark to find this trail.

I have to climb a small switchback section, but the snow is a little drier on this side of the hill if that makes sense.

I'm over the top and on a road I've never ridden, heading for the ghost town at Gold Point.

See what I mean about the snow? Dry looking to me.

Heading down the road I remember that there should be cell coverage here and I make a call home.

Less snow as I head south, but it's bitter cold...mid 20's.

I go up to look at an old mine and I have a vague memory of a decent cabin in this area.

Ahhhaaa, there it is..see it hiding behind the hill?

Old 12-18-2010, 06:48 AM   #73
balloonman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Thumb Thanks Larry

I'm enjoying your RR as I use to live in AZ. I would rather camp in warmer places, don't freez your buns off. Those hot springs look like a good break to clean and warm. Captain Tom
balloonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #74
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonman View Post
I'm enjoying your RR as I use to live in AZ. I would rather camp in warmer places, don't freez your buns off. Those hot springs look like a good break to clean and warm. Captain Tom

Thanks, Tom!!

I've never been inside this cabin, but it looks promising!!

Yeah, we can stay here.

It was about 2:00 PM. Time for a quick lunch.

I unloaded the bike, grabbed my tools and went for a ride.

I found a few chunks of firewood at a dugout rock cabin and made a few trips back to my cabin. It's called the 'Stateline Cabin'. It's getting really cold already and the puddle on the porch is frozen already.

I parked the bike up on the hill behind the cabin hoping for an easy bump start in the morning. I failed at the bump start at the hot springs. I'd better figure out a cold weather starting method pretty soon as this thing is wearing me out.

There was all kinds of good stuff for a motorcycle rider, Arizona tea and a fresh magazine to read.

Snow piled against the window.

There were couches and a couple of recliners here. I found a cot that was a little worn, but I fixed it up with a piece of plywood. I set the cot up near the woodstove and hung an old blanket over the doorway to the bedroom to try to keep as much heat as I could in the main cabin.

I found a book and read long into the night.

larryboy screwed with this post 12-19-2010 at 10:17 PM
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #75
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

There was enough firewood here to keep warm all night long...it was awesome!!!

I'm not going very far today, so I drank a pot of cowboy coffee and sat next to the woodstove reading for awhile. I took the rest of the canned milk with me so it wouldn't go to waste. This place is outside the park and it's legal to target shoot, so I added my cans and bottles to the targets in a box on the porch.

Wow.

I failed at bump starting again, but it pulled enough fuel to kick start pretty easy.

I've always wanted to see what's up this dead end road, but I never seem to have time or enough fuel. I've got plenty of both today.