Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #61
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosters2 View Post
Looks nice but $9.99 We're talking about a data feed that is free. For that price, I'll stick with the slower alternatives or just use the www.wunderground.com/radar link on the iphone to access the same data.

You're really complaining about $10? It's less than the price of a frigging movie ticket.

The data feed may be free, but the app to access it and parse the data is still worth paying for to reward the developer's time and effort. For your measly $10, you get an outstanding app that has useful features and doesn't have ads plastered all over it.

I ride a Wee-Strom; I'm pretty damn cheap. And even I think $10 for a solid, genuinely useful piece of software is a great deal.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #62
Snowfreak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by indrish View Post
That's pretty freaking slick right there!!

Motorcycles must be very big and loud and chromed, and must bark and smoke, and you only ride them on Sundays--Dear God that's not what a motorcycle is!!! Erik Buell
Snowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #63
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfreak View Post
That's pretty freaking slick right there!!

Yeah... I DLed this one yesterday. Pretty useless but cool for parties.

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #64
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH View Post
Yeah... I DLed this one yesterday. Pretty useless but cool for parties.
Agreed. It's a shame, since it's exactly what I'd want for a trip through Central America.

Just for fun, I printed off 2 restaurant menus and a screen capture from Telemundo and pointed this app in their direction. It kept changing its mind about the translation, to the point that it was impossible to read. It did pick up the "Camarones $2.95" as "Shrimp $2.95" but had trouble with almost everything else.

It would probably be better off having the user take a still photo then translating that.

Daniel

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #65
StarFleet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
For a first crack at it I think its promising. Either hardware improves and more power can be thrown at recognizing text or the algorithms themselves improve. I say give it a few years and we are all translating menus augmented reality style, unless of course someone doesn't invent a universal translator we can install in our ears first.
StarFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #66
indr

Oddometer: 1,197
or fishes evolve to translate
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:47 AM   #67
mototifosi
what does this one do?

Oddometer: 490
P'bucket was started by an inmate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
OK
That being said. I will start this off with a screen shot of my main screen. This is the stuff I use almost every day.

I am a Photographer by trade. My stuff leans in that direction. But for fun I play some of the Tag O Rama games here on ADV. And a lot of the above apps make it almost unfair when playing the game.

Most of these are obvious, so I will just talk about my 2 favorite TOR tools.

PS Express is free- And it is Photoshop. You can lighten, crop and more from just that program. Cropping is always a good That's why it's so easy! Can't say from experience as I'm challenged...thing if you are uploading from an area with poor internet.

Photobucket- Is where I choose to host my images. The app must of been designed by an ADV member. Its so easy to upload and post tags. The latest version is perfect. The original sucked. So if you tried it and deleted it, its time to come back to this wonderful free program.
It was created by an inmate! Funny you should say that... Can someone tell me how to "quote" when I respond without duplicating the pictures? It must use up tons of storage from the site. Sorry in advance to the "rockin mods"...
mototifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #68
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,790
Great thread. I just got an Ipod Touch from the wife, for Christmas. Its not the phone or camera, but its still a fun toy...especially since she knew I would never buy it for myself.

I already downloaded the free wifi finder. It has an offline list that is indexed as well.....so even if you do not have wireless signal at the moment, it will show you where to get one.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #69
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,939
Favorite weather apps?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #70
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototifosi View Post
It was created by an inmate! Funny you should say that... Can someone tell me how to "quote" when I respond without duplicating the pictures? It must use up tons of storage from the site. Sorry in advance to the "rockin mods"...
You just go inside the quoted part and delete the picture. If it is a linked picture, you should be able to do it that way. Not sure about attachments.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #71
k12lts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Favorite weather apps?
i.wund.com

It's the weatherunderground.com app for iPhone. Lots of good info and radar.
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #72
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,643

All of these are reasonable and free. Except for the delux version of weatherbug. I use them in this order.

Weatherbug
The weather channel
Accuweather-this program is newly upgraded. And might move up my firing order to number 1.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #73
Snowfreak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post

All of these are reasonable and free. Except for the delux version of weatherbug. I use them in this order.

Weatherbug
The weather channel
Accuweather-this program is newly upgraded. And might move up my firing order to number 1.
The new accuweather update defintitely looks good compared to the old version but I think there might be a couple of bugs in it (for me at least), I might delete it and reinstall to see if that takes care of it.

Motorcycles must be very big and loud and chromed, and must bark and smoke, and you only ride them on Sundays--Dear God that's not what a motorcycle is!!! Erik Buell
Snowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #74
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,939
Just read a bunch of the reviews on the latest accuweather app that say it's junk. Latest review was 12/24/10. I should download and check it out, but you guys are saying its great
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #75
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,643
For free it's worth a look. Like I said it's number 3 on my list. I am a big fan of free apps.