Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #6496
cman
cman

Oddometer: 263
I have always put a ybusa ( sic) battery back in my bikes. Not really sure if they are any better? They do seem to outlast the generic cheap ones though.
cman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #6497
cman
cman

Can anyone direct me to where to find a shop manual for my 1998 DR 350se? I seem to be able to only find 1990-1994 manuals. Thanks, Cman.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #6498
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cman View Post
Can anyone direct me to where to find a shop manual for my 1998 DR 350se? I seem to be able to only find 1990-1994 manuals. Thanks, Cman.
Hi Cman,

Try this:
http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/d...rkshop_manuals

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #6499
cman
cman

WOW.Thanks for not only the link but the fast reply.Christmas comes early for me. Thanks again, Cman.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #6500
Dilliw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Hi Cman,

Try this:
http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/d...rkshop_manuals

Regards,

Gregory Bender

Hi Greg,

You don't know me but you've been helping me for years with 03 EVT. Funny, I just picked up a 90 DR350s, came here for some info, and there you are again! I signed up and used my first post to say thanks for your site and all of the manuals; I've been using it for years.

Here's my new play thing after a hard day of work. It has the Yamaha petcock and pegs that you list on your site! Thanks again for all the help and if you are ever over on the East side I've got a beer for you (and I know where some cool tractors are too)...

George

Dilliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #6501
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,144
The wife just picked up a yuasa from the local dealer so the 250 should be back in business shortly

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #6502
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
The wife just picked up a yuasa from the local dealer so the 250 should be back in business shortly

I have one of these on the way.

https://www.shoraipower.com/s-48359-DR350SE.aspx
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #6503
coaxial
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
well, upgraded to the pumper carb kit from Jesse on my 91 dr350s kicker. Previously had the original carb which I think was running very rich (choke never needed, smelly, sooty exhaust, blackish plug).

I have the airbox opened up and FMF Q4 exhaust, I let Jesse know that when I ordered; I was hoping it would be nicely tuned on arrival, that's most of the reason I got the expensive pumper kit.

Changes with pumper carb over the too-rich CV carb:
-exhaust is much quieter, didn't expect this! very nice as I live on a quiet peaceful street. FMF pipe was disturbing the peace
-less smelly and less sooty, and now requires choke when cold. Is obviously much leaner than old carb
-idle is smoother, no longer hangs high, though still wobbles around between 1500 and 2000, as it gets hotter revs get higher, around 2000 (what causes idle to climb with temperature?)
-kick starts easy when COLD - full choke, no "clearing", no throttle, just 2 kicks and it's off
-kick starts easy when HOT - (been off for 2 minutes or less) no trick to it, just 1 kick
-kick starts hard/impossible when WARM. If it's sat 5+ minutes since running, kickstarting seems impossible regardless of method (clearing, throttle, choke, makes no difference). It just spits gas out the overflow and doesn't start. (flooded?) Wait 10 minutes for it to cool and it starts up first kick.
-backfires and pops a LOT on decel now! it did this before the new carb, but not nearly this much or this explosive. Lots of fireballs
-misses/surges/bogs a little on hard accell. Didn't do this with the old carb.

I've asked Jesse about this and he says the jetting should definitely be correct and to look elsewhere - I'll check the valves, replace the airfilter, check for leaks in fuel line, air boot, and make sure the screen was removed from the air boot per his advice. Idle-mix screw is set to 1.5 turns out per his instructions and per service manual procedure. .5 more it stumbles, too lean, .5 less it stumbles, too rich.

I'm fairly stumped, hoping it's as simple as the air filter being too dirty, the air boot not being totally sealed, leaks in the exhaust (I know there are some, will be sealing them soon), etc. Do not want to dive into the hassle of carb jetting and tuning, that's the whole reason I spent almost $400 on the Jesse carb!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, can't wait to get this thing running smoother!

here's the plug, although it's not new, it's been in since the old carb. I'll try to get a new one and check it properly.

Thanks!
Josh

Current: '91 DR350s mondo enduro commuter!
Past: V-Strom'd to Alaska & Mexico
coaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #6504
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,726
Revs climbing higher when hotter, pops and backfires on deceleration, could both be caused by an air leak. Make sure the rubber inlet boot is properly sealed to the head and the carb is inserted fully in the boot. While idling, try spraying some WD-40 around the boot. If revs change, you have found a leak.

If no luck there, next thing would be to try a size larger pilot jet.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #6505
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaxial View Post
I have the airbox opened up and FMF Q4 exhaust, I let Jesse know that when I ordered; I was hoping it would be nicely tuned on arrival, that's most of the reason I got the expensive pumper kit.

-idle is smoother, no longer hangs high, though still wobbles around between 1500 and 2000, as it gets hotter revs get higher, around 2000 (what causes idle to climb with temperature?)
-kick starts easy when COLD - full choke, no "clearing", no throttle, just 2 kicks and it's off
-kick starts easy when HOT - (been off for 2 minutes or less) no trick to it, just 1 kick
-kick starts hard/impossible when WARM. If it's sat 5+ minutes since running, kickstarting seems impossible regardless of method (clearing, throttle, choke, makes no difference). It just spits gas out the overflow and doesn't start. (flooded?) Wait 10 minutes for it to cool and it starts up first kick.
-backfires and pops a LOT on decel now! it did this before the new carb, but not nearly this much or this explosive. Lots of fireballs
-misses/surges/bogs a little on hard accell. Didn't do this with the old carb.

I've asked Jesse about this and he says the jetting should definitely be correct and to look elsewhere . . .

. . . hoping it's as simple as the air filter being too dirty, the air boot not being totally sealed, leaks in the exhaust (I know there are some, will be sealing them soon), etc.
I'd take Jesse's advice and look elsewhere. If Jesse says you have the correct jetting, it should be right on IMO.

Shouldn't be complicated. These things are fairly simple.

Cover the basics; adjust valves, replace/clean air filter, check everything for leaks, and take care of the exhaust leaks.

My 99 dirt model with the pumper carb, air box mod and stock exhaust starts easily when cold using choke - usually first kick in warm weather, 2, maybe 3 kicks in cold winter temps down in the 20F's or lower. Starts first kick in any temps when bike is warmed up, regardless of whether it's been sitting two minutes or twenty minutes. Idles very smooth and consistent with no fluctuation, accelerates smoothly thru entire rpm range from idle to WOT.

Fix the exhaust leaks and look closely for any other leaks.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #6506
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaxial View Post
well, upgraded to the pumper carb kit from Jesse on my 91 dr350s kicker......
Do you know what size jets Jesse installed?
He's a great guy and he knows his stuff but he sometimes has a habit of over-jetting.

Whatever the problem is I'm sure it's easily fixable so don't get too disgusted just yet
The TM33 is a great upgrade
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #6507
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,641
stumbling on accel when warm and too-easy starting when cold, along with explosive backfiring (i.e. detonation of raw fuel in the pipe) sounds simply like an over-rich condition. Jesse's jetting specs IMHO are often on the rich side.

What specs are the carb actually jetted to? It's not hard to take it out and check.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #6508
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
Jesse's jetting specs IMHO are often on the rich side.

dc
You don't say
Old 12-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #6509
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,641

my bike ran great in Death Valley, below sea level, on a cold day.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #6510
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post

my bike ran great in Death Valley, below sea level, on a cold day.

dc

I've learned to drop 1 or 2 main jet sizes below Jesse's advice.