Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #76
MEDIC-0372 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
I think that you are right the Bridgestone TW may be stock on the 2010 XT250. I have a 2008 that came (IMO) with a much lower grade tire. Thanks for the update.

Great pictures. Here in Ohio there is not much riding going on...the temp is 12 F with lots of snow and heavy winds. I got to play with my snow blower today though.

Take care.

The life we save may be your's...
MEDIC-0372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #77
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Hi Medic,

Team Serow came with TW301's & 302's from new back in October 2005. The tyres were standard fit to Japan bikes back then on the 250's.

Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #78
empanadaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
12F!!! Now I feel kind of bad complaining about the cold here in Austin. Yeah I was a little worried about the tires since I had heard a lot of bad stuff about Sheng Chin's but when I drove up to the dealer (about 100 miles each way) I was happy to see the Bridgestones on there. I had been eyeballing the IRC GP-1's in case I needed to buy some new tires, and may still try those out when the stockers are worn out. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Btw I really like that fanny pack you use as a tank bag. I was looking for something similar but finally ended up ordering a Wolfman Express tank bag. I'm hoping it works out alright on the XT. Got a pretty good deal on it at Motostrano for $110.39 shipped.
empanadaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #79
MEDIC-0372 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
My 2008 came with the Cheng Shin C/6006 and I did not like them at all. I now have my second set of irc GP-110's and love them.

Thanks for the info guys...let us know how you like the TW's.

The life we save may be your's...

MEDIC-0372 screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 03:16 PM
MEDIC-0372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #80
artbone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
XT250 Carb

I've got a 2008 XT250 and I live at 6500 ft. The bike seems really rich and the condition gets worse when I go over passes sometimes up to 8000 or 9000 ft. I pulled the air cleaner out to see if it made any difference and it made a noticeable difference. The bike ran much better.

When I look in the parts book they only list 1 jet size for XT250s. I've ordered a jet kit off ebay but don't really know what it consists of.

Does anyone have experience rejetting one of these carbs? Any suggestions on sizes, main jet only or main and pilot both? Lower the needle?

Someone give me some guidance here.
artbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #81
empanadaman
Adventurer

I've always lived pretty close to sea level and I've never had to re-jet any of my bikes... so I'm afraid I can't be of much assistance. You might want to try posting your question in the main Thumper forum rather than this thread, as it may get more traffic and thus you may get an answer to your question quicker. Or I could google it for you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rejetting+a+2008+xt250

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbone View Post
I've got a 2008 XT250 and I live at 6500 ft. The bike seems really rich and the condition gets worse when I go over passes sometimes up to 8000 or 9000 ft. I pulled the air cleaner out to see if it made any difference and it made a noticeable difference. The bike ran much better.

When I look in the parts book they only list 1 jet size for XT250s. I've ordered a jet kit off ebay but don't really know what it consists of.

Does anyone have experience rejetting one of these carbs? Any suggestions on sizes, main jet only or main and pilot both? Lower the needle?

Old 12-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #82
artbone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by empanadaman View Post
I've always lived pretty close to sea level and I've never had to re-jet any of my bikes... so I'm afraid I can't be of much assistance. You might want to try posting your question in the main Thumper forum rather than this thread, as it may get more traffic and thus you may get an answer to your question quicker. Or I could google it for you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rejetting+a+2008+xt250
Thanks for the reply empanadaman but I've been a motorcycle mechanic for 35 years. I know how to rejet a bike. I was looking for some specific hints from someone who has rejetted an XT250. I live in Mexico so I have to have everything shipped down here and it always costs twice as much and takes twice as long. If it's the wrong thing, I might as well eat it because of shipping charges and tariffs.

Having said that, I've ordered a jet kit off flebay and, when I get it, will post the results of my experiments. I really like this little bike for the great dirt roads around here and, if I can get the carb sorted, I think it will be a terror on the bumpy, twisty, paved roads.

Art
artbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #83
empanadaman
Adventurer

Art,

Looking forward to hearing your results. Since reading your post I've been doing some searching and haven't yet found anyone with personal experience re-jetting an XT250 for altitude. It's definitely something that I'd like to find out about though, since I'll be riding between 5-6K ft above sea level next year. As with other XT250 specific aftermarket parts, there seems to be a hole in the jet market... although I'm guessing a search for carb specific jets may turn up more? Idk though... as I mentioned I've never had to re-jet any of my bikes. Now seems like a pretty good time to read up on the subject though. Thanks for the motiviation!

Quote:
Thanks for the reply empanadaman but I've been a motorcycle mechanic for 35 years. I know how to rejet a bike. I was looking for some specific hints from someone who has rejetted an XT250. I live in Mexico so I have to have everything shipped down here and it always costs twice as much and takes twice as long. If it's the wrong thing, I might as well eat it because of shipping charges and tariffs.

Having said that, I've ordered a jet kit off flebay and, when I get it, will post the results of my experiments. I really like this little bike for the great dirt roads around here and, if I can get the carb sorted, I think it will be a terror on the bumpy, twisty, paved roads.

Art
Old 12-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #84
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:

You're running rich!!!?
Count your blessings.
I had drilled a 3/4 inch hole right next to the stock molded snorkel (after I rejetted richer) and she was still a little lean.
Try just drilling another hole next to the snorkel. Start small and work up.

F.W.I.W. I gave up on my 08 XT and bought another DR650. Good little bike but, yamaha can take their Teikei Carb (that's hard to find different jets for) and stick it up their Arse!
Shame! I really liked my XT except for that damn carb.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #85
empanadaman
Adventurer

Well after searching high and low the best info I could find was that Mikuni small round main jets (N102.221) might fit the XT250's Teikei carb. One of the Mikuni pilot jets supposedly works with the Teikei but not sure which one. I'm gonna go by the local dealer on Monday and see what they know.

Can't ever be easy can it?
Old 12-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #86
empanadaman
Adventurer

White fender and mirror extenders installed.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #87
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,648
Quote:
White fender and mirror extenders installed.
What fender did you use? Any problems?
Old 12-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #88
empanadaman
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
What fender did you use? Any problems?
Got the fender from here: http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...511-00-00.html

Part # 4BE-21511-00

The bolt holes match up on my 2010 XT250 but there are a couple of fitment issues. Fairly minor and won't stop me from using this fender in the meantime, until Yamaha realizes how crappy the black front fender looks on a white bike and starts offering an OEM white front fender for the 2008 + XT's. Maybe they will also offer some jets for that damn Teikei carb as well. And for the trifecta they could make the mirrors so you can actually see behind you instead of looking at your shoulders.

I still like my XT though... although it's still not broken it in yet with all this cold weather. Damn global warming!!
Old 12-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #89
empanadaman
Adventurer

Old 12-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #90
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,648
Quote:
Got the fender from here: http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...511-00-00.html

Part # 4BE-21511-00

The bolt holes match up on my 2010 XT250 but there are a couple of fitment issues. Fairly minor and won't stop me from using this fender in the meantime, until Yamaha realizes how crappy the black front fender looks on a white bike and starts offering an OEM white front fender for the 2008 + XT's. Maybe they will also offer some jets for that damn Teikei carb as well. And for the trifecta they could make the mirrors so you can actually see behind you instead of looking at your shoulders.

I still like my XT though... although it's still not broken it in yet with all this cold weather. Damn global warming!!
Thanks. The split fender in black is kind of wierd. Your's looks good, I was going to try a XT 225 fender also so thanks for trying it out, now I know I'm on the right track. Jets are a pain for some carbs, I've got jet drills so I can drill and solder them shut and redrill them if needed. It runs ok here a 600ft.