Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #121
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 6,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
Thanks!

I think I'm done with the Peavey for now. Its not the sound I'm looking for anymore. I'll probably keep it and fix it later though.

I'm planning on playing at home, clean and dirty. Nothing too fancy though. I do understand that tubes are the way to go but I haven't seen too many inexpensive sub-15w tube amps. I've only looked at the Epi Valve Junior Combo and the Vox AC4TV Combo.
My buddy has the Valve Junior and I have the AC4. I personally prefer the sound of the Valve Junior. But you will need a pedal to get a distorted tone at reasonable volume. The MG would definitely give you more options. The VJ and AC4 would sound sweeter. I could have fun with the MG, but I wouldn't be able to live with that sound over the long haul. JMO.

2002 KTM 520 EXC for sale
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926379
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #122
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya
My buddy has the Valve Junior and I have the AC4. I personally prefer the sound of the Valve Junior. But you will need a pedal to get a distorted tone at reasonable volume. The MG would definitely give you more options. The VJ and AC4 would sound sweeter. I could have fun with the MG, but I wouldn't be able to live with that sound over the long haul. JMO.
Yeah, I like the warmer sound of the tubes, too. I listened to a Marshall MG100DFX and it sounded a bit to bright for my liking. Although the guitar was bright as well so that probably didn't help any. I saw some video's of the AC4TV 10 and it sounded really nice. I'll have to check out the Epi as well.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #123
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,699
Just curious, now about a Vox ToneLab GT ST instead of an amp?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #124
GSAnderson
Wandering Swede

Oddometer: 2,504
Wicked

I stopped by Willie's American Guitars this afternoon and this followed me home:

1930's Regal set up for lap slide. In pretty good shape, and has a great tone.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #125
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,212

DW

I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where.

Canada eh...http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...nadabikini.gif
RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:22 AM   #126
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,825
Digging up an old thread...

First off let me know if I am crazy or not. I have only been playing for about a year, unless I am having shoulder problems I play every night, sometimes for only 10min some times for 2hrs...just depends, but usually around 1hr or so. I own a Gretsch 5120 and a Epiphone Les Paul, both get about equal play time depending on my mood.

Anyway I am looking at a new guitar....a Rickenbacker, I don't have one in my sights yet, but I am looking every day. I would like a 6 string (12 strings intimidate me for some reason) 300 series.

Before this I had stuck with guitars around the $500 or so mark a Rickenbacker is going to be way outside that. The reason for the entry price guitars was I was not sure I would stick with it....sometimes the meds I am on make me want to chuck everything and I loose intrest in everything, but it is usually short lived and in a week or two I am back to my old self.

Is that stupid to get something at this stage of my playing? I have not even touched one yet...and may hate it, I did not like the Gibson LP I tried out, the cheapie epiphone felt better to me.

The reasons for wanting the Rick is the tone it makes, I am still learning about the different pickups, toasters and such, but I want that classic 60's british tone.

Anyone have any advise to this newbe guitar player.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #127
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 21,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajflyboy View Post
Well

I have a new hobby. I'm just learning to play the guitar. Its a blast. There is so much information on the internet. You can learn any chord or song you want to simply by clicking on to youtube.com. Truly amazing.

I have an electric guitar starter kit and I am planning on getting an acoustic guitar real soon.

All you good folks >> Teach me and us other newbies what you want or what you know about guitars?

Hooray! Even though you already have a year ahead of me - I just bought a used "Carlos" acoustic guitar at a pawn shop right before Christmas. My first excursion changing the strings cost me strings 3 and 4 when I broke them due to inexperience doing this, but I can't wait to get playing.

Have you played an instrument before? What kind of guitar did you get? The Carlos was made in Korea, and there isn't much information on them. I understand they were made in the 70's. In spite of the fact the guitar was mis-strung when I bought it, I liked the sound of it over the others in my price range at the shop.

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason

Roadrunner screwed with this post 12-30-2010 at 10:57 AM
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #128
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
this guitar is a hwy 1 telecaster -it was $500.bucks used. it sounds great and i recommend all you to buy or try one of these out- ive been playing guitar since i was 16 yrs old [im 47 now]and played all kinds of guitars and this is a fine guitar.... just sayin..
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #129
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

signed by robben ford as well....
Old 12-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #130
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

this is my 1962 reissue strat -this is my most fave guitar i ever had -it sounds and feels so great to play...
Old 12-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #131
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

my gibson flying v is a great axe to solo and rip it up .. keep playing and practicing and collecting guitars everybody....
Old 01-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #132
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
Woot! My new guitar arrived ...It's a Seagull S6 ...
I too am a middle aged (bleah!) man who is thinking about buying a guitar and trying to teach myself to play. I have no musical ability or experience.

I have been searching for a decent beginner guitar, and have decided that "if" I do buy one, it would be a Seagull S6.

Question....do you still like it?

Based on my research, it has the widest nut, and I have big fat, clumsy fingers, and it fits me well.

I also found a really neat site for beginners.

www.justinguitar.com

It is nicely organized into actual lessons, rather than just the jumble of stuff I have been finding on youtube.
Yooper_Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #133
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 10,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
I too am a middle aged (bleah!) man who is thinking about buying a guitar and trying to teach myself to play. I have no musical ability or experience.

I have been searching for a decent beginner guitar, and have decided that "if" I do buy one, it would be a Seagull S6.

Question....do you still like it?

Based on my research, it has the widest nut, and I have big fat, clumsy fingers, and it fits me well.

I also found a really neat site for beginners.

www.justinguitar.com

It is nicely organized into actual lessons, rather than just the jumble of stuff I have been finding on youtube.
I'm absolutely thrilled with my Seagull. The sound of this thing is amazing, the width of the fretboard is perfect for me (my hands are average man hands), and it's freaking gorgeous. I've had a Fender Stratocaster for thirty years and just haven't played it in a long time. The Seagull is such a pleasure that I'm making time to play it every day, and have even dusted off the Strat because the Seagull has given me renewed interest.

Of course, SabreWife has to put up with me learning Classical Gas, which is a loooooooooong, slow process!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #134
DaveBro
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by zokalr13 View Post
this guitar is a hwy 1 telecaster
That is a beautiful guitar. I'm a sucker for a Tele, and for any sunburst guitar -- got a few 'burst acoustic guitars myself. I don't play much electric, but when I do it's on this:

DaveBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #135
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,212
+ 10 on the Hwy 1 Fenders, I brought home a Tele a few years back, loved it so much I went back and picked up it's mate. American made Fenders for $750 is a deal.

DW

I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where.

Canada eh...http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...nadabikini.gif
RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: