Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #1681
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,131
my defanition is a scooter is small , but then again its street reg as a motorcycle , i also have another same bike , just stock , and is street reg as a moped , so i dunno

i have been clocked at 115kms per hr on the freeway with my gps , think thats about 65 to 70 mph , you need to tuck down tho as the whind gets a lil strong

it will wheelstand in all four gears

i have my xr650 for longer rides , but this lil bike brings me my best smiles and gets the best looks , i did the paint myself in my garden shed and my wifes oven
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #1682
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
That would eliminate the old Vespas, Lambrettas, and others from being scooters. No underseat storage, manual transmissions. Also would eliminate the Big Ruckus, no step through. And there are others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
IMO, scooters have step-thru seating, underseat storage, twist-n-go throttle, floorboards instead of foot pegs.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #1683
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Here in Oregon a scooter is registered as a motorcycle. Mopeds are a separate category.

Your paint job looks excellent. Is it a powder coat? I have on order a Lifan 140cc for my Trail 90 (postie bike) which I figure will push it up to about 60 mph. That's fast enough for me to get on the highway for a short distance if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
my defanition is a scooter is small , but then again its street reg as a motorcycle , i also have another same bike , just stock , and is street reg as a moped , so i dunno

i have been clocked at 115kms per hr on the freeway with my gps , think thats about 65 to 70 mph , you need to tuck down tho as the whind gets a lil strong

it will wheelstand in all four gears

i have my xr650 for longer rides , but this lil bike brings me my best smiles and gets the best looks , i did the paint myself in my garden shed and my wifes oven
Old 12-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #1684
Sean-0
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
Here in Oregon a scooter is registered as a motorcycle. Mopeds are a separate category.

Your paint job looks excellent. Is it a powder coat? I have on order a Lifan 140cc for my Trail 90 (postie bike) which I figure will push it up to about 60 mph. That's fast enough for me to get on the highway for a short distance if need be.
The paint came out of a pressure pack , i had them made up for me in atomic mica green , was painted in a garden shed , when the clear was on i put it in the wifes oven for about an hour on low heat

came out real nice , panel shop mate of mine asked if i had som1 else spray it for me

lifan 140 , good strong motor , last 1 i had i put 15,000 miles on b4 she was beyond repair ,
Old 12-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #1685
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
The paint came out of a pressure pack , i had them made up for me in atomic mica green , was painted in a garden shed , when the clear was on i put it in the wifes oven for about an hour on low heat

came out real nice , panel shop mate of mine asked if i had som1 else spray it for me

lifan 140 , good strong motor , last 1 i had i put 15,000 miles on b4 she was beyond repair ,

Only 15,000 miles? What happened to it? Lifans are usually great motors that last a very very long time.

And yes, here in CA a scooter is also usually registered as a Motorcycle.

And wow, 115 KPH is 71.46 MPH! That is REALLY fast on a bike of that size and nature! My stock CRF 50 does 41 MPH on GPS, which is plenty for a non-street legal machine. But I am sure I could get some mods on it and re-gear it to do 55 MPH if I needed it, but that takes away some engine life as well as reliability. I just love the way in all the years I've had it it has ALWAYS started on the first kick!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #1686
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,278
Quote:
That would eliminate the old Vespas, Lambrettas, and others from being scooters. No underseat storage, manual transmissions. Also would eliminate the Big Ruckus, no step through. And there are others.
IMO, they are all step-thru (no fuel tank over seat height) and they all have floorboards instead of foot pegs.

Besides, that Z50 looks to me to have shifter lever and clutch lever just as a motorcycle, not even close to be a scooter.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #1687
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
And yes, here in CA a scooter is also usually registered as a Motorcycle
They're ALL considered motorcycles here (RI) for registration purposes, insurance included.
Anything 49.9cc or under, only driver's license required, but even those required a MC license to operate for a few years.

Quote:
IMO, they are all step-thru (no fuel tank over seat height) and they all have floorboards instead of foot pegs.

Besides, that Z50 looks to me to have shifter lever and clutch lever just as a motorcycle, not even close to be a scooter.

Well, that's ONE vote...
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #1688
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Well let's see. I've owned at least 20 scooters over the years, at least I thought they were scooters. All had a gear shift and clutch lever, even the Vespa 50. Guess now I'll have to say I've never owned a scooter only a bunch of Vespa motorcycles.

Quote:

Old 12-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #1689
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerspur View Post
They're ALL considered motorcycles here (RI) for registration purposes, insurance included.
Anything 49.9cc or under, only driver's license required, but even those required a MC license to operate for a few years.
I am pretty sure that is not limited to RI but most states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerspur View Post
Well, that's ONE vote...
Who's voting? simple fact is that Z50 is not a scooter, no twist-n-go throttle, no floor board, no step-thru, no underseat storage...
Old 12-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #1690
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
Well let's see. I've owned at least 20 scooters over the years, at least I thought they were scooters. All had a gear shift and clutch lever, even the Vespa 50. Guess now I'll have to say I've never owned a scooter only a bunch of Vespa motorcycles.
Does your Vespa 50 have floorboard instead of foot pegs?

Does you scooter all have fuel tanks between the riders legs that are higher than the seat height?

Gear shift on Vespa do not take away their appearance as being scooters.

You can consider Vespa to be whatever you think they are, but that Z50 is not closer to be scooter than a motorcycle. Why would you even consider that? provide some reasons.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #1691
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Feeling a little, 'er, cranky?
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #1692
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 288
Swingarm-mounted engines, guys. That's the biggest thing separating scooters from motorcycles.

Floorboards vs. pegs, displacement, manual vs. auto, all of these exist across all categories and aren't really reliable measures. It's the swingarm-mounted engine.

The Z50 isn't a scooter because it's engine/transmission aren't part of the swingarm (or the entirety of it). It's a very small motorcycle. But it's okay, we scooterists accept small motorcycles, too!
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #1693
Sean-0
Closed

lol , its only a pic and a opinion of mine , actualy stock the original seat height is highr than the tank , reason i call it a scooter is , its small and nimble like a scooter , its ok tho i'll now call it a motorbike , australia post here use the ct110 as postie bikes to deliver mail

there a step through , there seat hight is highr than the tank , they have a 3 speed gearbox with clutch leaver on the bars and shifter , they are also classed as scooters , then i seed scooters with masive ride height's ,large cc's , the look like jetski's with wheels , these are called motocycles , auto twist and go , so IMO a bike differs from country to country ,

and besides i just like to show off my lil scooter < or motorbike < or thumper < or pitbike < when infact is a monkey bike
Old 12-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #1694
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

That one doesn't work either. There are many old scooters where the engine is not connected to the swing arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph View Post
Swingarm-mounted engines, guys. That's the biggest thing separating scooters from motorcycles.

Floorboards vs. pegs, displacement, manual vs. auto, all of these exist across all categories and aren't really reliable measures. It's the swingarm-mounted engine.

The Z50 isn't a scooter because it's engine/transmission aren't part of the swingarm (or the entirety of it). It's a very small motorcycle. But it's okay, we scooterists accept small motorcycles, too!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #1695
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Glad you showed it off here. It's a great looking little scoot/pitbike/monkeybike/motorcycle/2 wheeled vehicle.

Quote:
lol , its only a pic and a opinion of mine , actualy stock the original seat height is highr than the tank , reason i call it a scooter is , its small and nimble like a scooter , its ok tho i'll now call it a motorbike , australia post here use the ct110 as postie bikes to deliver mail

there a step through , there seat hight is highr than the tank , they have a 3 speed gearbox with clutch leaver on the bars and shifter , they are also classed as scooters , then i seed scooters with masive ride height's ,large cc's , the look like jetski's with wheels , these are called motocycles , auto twist and go , so IMO a bike differs from country to country ,

and besides i just like to show off my lil scooter < or motorbike < or thumper < or pitbike < when infact is a monkey bike