Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #91
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
It's a USB that plugs into USB. Any USB. You can charge it from your computer, for example. The wall socket block is just a device that converts wall power to USB power. Any 12V -> USB power adapter that provides enough power will work. I'm using an older version of this one.
Cool.....that will work. I see it converts 12V in to 5 Volts out....which is what I was looking for. I am not sure if all of those USB hard wired ones do that or not.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #92
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
Doug. I sort of remember. I also High sided on the south course. Died and was resesitated there in 2005. 2006 is a foggy year for me.

Anyway. I would find a nice marine grade cigarette lighter plug for the bike. Then I would probably go to igearusa.com and find a flush mount USB adapter.

http://www.igearusa.com/unusbmicarch.html

I like these because they sit flush in the socket. Walmart also has something similar that has dual USB.
Great link Dennis..I may get one of those.

PM in bound....so as not to keep clogging up the thread.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #93
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post

Main screen

Hourly forcast by sliding current away.

15 day forecast is very pretty with details.

Maps
Just curious. Why do they say it's junk. Visually it's stunning and easy to read. Even on the bike. And for me so far it's worked well.
I just downloaded it, and it looks pretty cool to me. If you read the reviews most bascially say its not as good as it used to be. I guess if you used something, anything, and there was an update and you weren't happy that'd be a bummer. Anyway, hardly a "fiasco". I just read the reviews. That's all...
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #94
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
iTouch

iTouch - any one got one and is it useful for bike trips? What apps do you use and which are of the most value? Free? Cost? TIA.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #95
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom View Post
iTouch - any one got one and is it useful for bike trips? What apps do you use and which are of the most value? Free? Cost? TIA.
I have the Ipod Touch, as opposed to an Iphone. Obviously, you can not use it as a GPS or a camera, but everything else works well. I down loaded one of the Wifi finders, which has an "offline" mode, where, even where you do not have a signal, it will show you a list of places to find where you can get one.

I already have two GPS(s)...a TomTom 720 for the street and an Garmin 60CX for offroad...so I am not missing those functions.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #96
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom View Post
Too bad this got merged with the iPhone thread as they really aren't the same.

I have an iPod Touch, it's the previous generation. The latest version has a camera which resolves one of my gripes. Overall, I've been pretty underwhelmed with it. I recently bought a netbook and prefer that. For me, the Touch is really is only useful for music and games. My issue is that it really doesn't replace any of my existing gadgets. I still take my phone, my camera, my gps.

It surfs the net better than my blackberry, but nowhere near as well as a netbook or laptop. Although WiFi is available many places, it isn't a replacement for cellular data coverage. And access isn't free many times.

If I didn't already have a work phone, I would have just sprung for an iPhone or Droid, but it was a gift so I can't complain about the price. But with the iPhone you get a camera, widespread data coverage, and GPS capability. With the iTouch, you get games, music, and internet if you are in a hotspot. It's a cool toy, but not much more.

If you already have a cell phone, I would just get a netbook. If you don't, I think the iPhone or Droid is certainly worthwhile.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #97
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,527
Looking at some of the mapping/GPS apps, and they all seem to be power-hungry. I've got a backup external battery for my Iphone, but since it plugs into the phone I have to take the phone out of the Otterbox to plug it in. I've been looking for a cord that has the Iphone connection at one end and the female version of it at the other end. I want to plug the cord into the battery and then into the Iphone.
Anybody know where I can find one?

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #98
Snowfreak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Looking at some of the mapping/GPS apps, and they all seem to be power-hungry. I've got a backup external battery for my Iphone, but since it plugs into the phone I have to take the phone out of the Otterbox to plug it in. I've been looking for a cord that has the Iphone connection at one end and the female version of it at the other end. I want to plug the cord into the battery and then into the Iphone.
Anybody know where I can find one?

1911fan
You can try here, they have a lot things iPhone related

http://www.igearusa.com/index.html

Motorcycles must be very big and loud and chromed, and must bark and smoke, and you only ride them on Sundays--Dear God that's not what a motorcycle is!!! Erik Buell
Snowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #99
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

No luck, thanks though!

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #100
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,638
Have considered the Ram Aqua box? Then you could use any power cord you want.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #101
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

It's not that, the Otterbox allows me to charge/plug in headphones without removal. I'm trying to find a cable to go from my backup battery to the Iphone without removing the Otterbox.
The battery plugs into the bottom of the phone, just like a power cord, but the connection on the battery is not long enough. Ergo, a cable is needed, male into phone and female into battery.
I know I'm not explaining this right. Pics later.

1911fan

Old 01-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #102
mike wright
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
This is a great app for the iphone

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...CN-Iphone-app/

worked a treat at the Nurburgring!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #103
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
It's not that, the Otterbox allows me to charge/plug in headphones without removal. I'm trying to find a cable to go from my backup battery to the Iphone without removing the Otterbox.
The battery plugs into the bottom of the phone, just like a power cord, but the connection on the battery is not long enough. Ergo, a cable is needed, male into phone and female into battery.
I know I'm not explaining this right. Pics later.

1911fan
The words you want to search for are "dock extender cable". There are several on Amazon, though I haven't personally used any of them.

Go here: http://amzn.to/gc4oPd

Daniel

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:48 AM   #104
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wright View Post
This is a great app for the iphone

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...CN-Iphone-app/

worked a treat at the Nurburgring!
It looks cool. I wonder why it costs so much.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #105
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpifko View Post
The words you want to search for are "dock extender cable". There are several on Amazon, though I haven't personally used any of them.

Go here: http://amzn.to/gc4oPd

Daniel

That's it!! I wasn't using that exact term in my searches.

Thanks!!

1911fan