Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 487 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #13216
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
After being an auto fan for yearsandyearsandyears...and not owning a revolver since high school...I have officially fallen in love with revolvers. Egad...it's like rediscovering guns. I'd always been respectful of 'em, but never a rabid fan. Now I've gone nuts.

This little 66 is so much fun to shoot.
Byatch! eap!

Those certainly are nice gats. Best size, power and weight.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #13217
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab-Kid View Post
I just tried to sell my 66-1 4" a few days ago to help justify the purchase of a new semi-auto. I have two SS .357's laying around not being shot and no way was willing to part with my 6" SS Colt Python. Anyway, the local shop offered me $150 for my 66-1. I'd rather make paper clips out of it than let it go for that.

Anyway, decided I was deserving of a new pistol anyway and picked up a new H&K P30 and absolutely love that gun. Only have about 100 rounds through it but I don't know how they could improve on it. (well, except reduce the price!)
Send that model 66 to south Florida and you'll get * 400.00+ for it.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #13218
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSingle View Post
Thinking of getting a Century Arms WASR-10 and doing the deburr re-finish - beautification anyone have one? Have heard the love them, hate them. Would like to hear from someone that has one. Preferably someone that cleaned it up and realigned it.
I know they are cheap at $350-$400 and many believe them to be better than a standard AK-47 in terms of quality once the bugs have been worked out, mainly the burrs on the receiver.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #13219
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
You revolver folks are making me really itchy for that GP100 I've been pining after...

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #13220
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSingle View Post
Thinking of getting a Century Arms WASR-10 and doing the deburr re-finish - beautification anyone have one? Have heard the love them, hate them. Would like to hear from someone that has one. Preferably someone that cleaned it up and realigned it.
I did exactly that- I bought one from a guy for $300 because he couldn't get it to run. I took it apart and cleaned the piston and gas cylinder out with brake cleaner to remove the cosmoline. Then a few minutes with a dremel and some files and I got it running with good mags- the feed ramp needed polishing to make HP ammo feed and the extractor needed fitting. A little more work and I got it realigned. Finally (and this is important) I took all the mags apart and got them running- the followers are not all shaped correctly, so they hang on the mag body. Now it was running like a champ, so I took the wooden furniture off and reshaped it a bit with a collection of sanders and sandpaper- finishing it off with some linseed oil. It still wasn't pretty, but a couple of hours of work gave me an AK that felt good, looked okay and ran like a champ.

Of course, after a few months I realized why I never keep AK's (they are not very accurate and the controls are silly) so I sold it for $450.

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #13221
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasKLRider View Post
Of course, after a few months I realized why I never keep AK's (they are not very accurate and the controls are silly) so I sold it for $450.
I always hear this, just how inaccurate is an AK? I guess the only think I could really compare it to right now would be my 10/22

Old 01-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #13222
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I always hear this, just how inaccurate is an AK? I guess the only think I could really compare it to right now would be my 10/22
I doubt that there are many AKs out there that'll shoot 3MOA. I'd suspect that 5MOA might be more the norm. Or "Minute of Barn Door".

Now I'm going to sit back and wait for someone to chime in and claim that his AK will shoot 1.5MOA all day long......

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #13223
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424

• Savage 10FLP .308Win, 24" barrel
  • Badger 20MOA base
  • Seekins rings
  • Sharp Shooter Supply trigger & bolt handle
  • McMillan A-5
  • US Optics 3.2-17x44mm, MPR reticle, 35mm tube, EREK elevation with MIL click values
  • Jet suppressor
  • Tactical Intervention M24 sling
  • Harris bipod
  • Eagle cheek pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbawl View Post
Alright.
We need to make a new rule.
No more posting guns with out the deets. You know we're just gonna ask anyway.
Luke308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #13224
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I doubt that there are many AKs out there that'll shoot 3MOA. I'd suspect that 5MOA might be more the norm. Or "Minute of Barn Door".

Now I'm going to sit back and wait for someone to chime in and claim that his AK will shoot 1.5MOA all day long......

Don't hold your breath, please.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #13225
El Guero
V4 Whore

Okay, so let's say that AKs shoot about 5MOA. Does that make a difference if you never put a scope on it?

Old 01-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #13226
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Quote:
Okay, so let's say that AKs shoot about 5MOA. Does that make a difference if you never put a scope on it?
Nope, they will run about no matter what shit you put through them, and spray bullets downrange. That is their purpose, and they do it well.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #13227
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
After being an auto fan for yearsandyearsandyears...and not owning a revolver since high school...I have officially fallen in love with revolvers. Egad...it's like rediscovering guns. I'd always been respectful of 'em, but never a rabid fan. Now I've gone nuts.
Cue for Model 27 pron.

They don't make 'em like that anymore.
Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #13228
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,308
Quote:
Plenty accurate for their intended purpose... Tack driver, no. Put a bunch of rounds in a general area @ 100 yards in a hurry? You betcha, and that is their intended purpose.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #13229
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post
Nope, they will run about no matter what shit you put through them, and spray bullets downrange. That is their purpose, and they do it well.
Sums up the ones I owned/have shot-
Way back when, just before Billary took office, one of the local shops sold russian made SKS' (new in boxes, made in the 50's) for about $150. Would/could throw lead inside a 6-8 inch group at 100 yrds (open sights, bench rest) pretty much all day. the AK's I've fired were very similar in feel/fit...kicks hard, crummy stock, but always worked.
Got kinda boring before too long. Sold it for $300 a couple years later, bought the CZ 85 9mm (very good trade)
Old 01-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #13230
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Sums up the ones I owned/have shot-
Way back when, just before Billary took office, one of the local shops sold russian made SKS' (new in boxes, made in the 50's) for about $150. Would/could throw lead inside a 6-8 inch group at 100 yrds (open sights, bench rest) pretty much all day. the AK's I've fired were very similar in feel/fit...kicks hard, crummy stock, but always worked.
Got kinda boring before too long. Sold it for $300 a couple years later, bought the CZ 85 9mm (very good trade)

I have had pretty good luck with the Norinco SKS's and accuracy. I used to shoot one with the local guys here in DCM matches. SKS versus M1's. I would not be in last place at the end of the day. These guys would have dialed in their rifles, aftermarket rifle farkles, super-tweaked handloaded ammoes, and they would take it very seriously. I would show up with one of the long barreled SKS rifles and some rounds from a gray box that I would buy by the case, the cheapest ammo I could find, and do fairly well. I never was high score, but the littkle SKS would do pretty well.
I think the SKS can actually be an accurate rifle, whereas the AK47? Nope.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: