Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #151
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragerbon View Post
That's looks hot !
I want to see the front forks in place, what will they be...will the two spacers From earlier in this thread be holding them in place ?
something like this...

jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #152
repsolrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Love the detail going into this build.
repsolrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #153
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolrider View Post
Love the detail going into this build.
thanks, but your bike has the detail, my rat just kinda bolts together.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #154
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

the time has come, gotta have some forks.

i've been running the Versys usd forks on my 650R framed bikes, and they work ok, but i wanted a completely different suspension this time. running these forks is an easy swap to the 650R because the triples are interchangeable, no machining or other modifications required, they bolt right in. the versys forks are very basic and only have damping adjustment in one leg. i did like the proprietary bar riser that matches the versys top clamp, so i decided to find an inexpensive solution that would allow me to use the versys clamps/bar riser.

the versys usd has a 41mm inner and a 50/52mm outer at the clamp surfaces. as far as i'm aware, there's nothing to work with in a longer travel late model usd fork that would fit the versys clamps. the clamp surfaces are generally much larger.

i decided i didn't really need a usd fork, how about a fully adjustable conventional fork, beefy and longer travel. the DRZ400 uses the big Showa conventional, the late models are fully adjustable, and they're cheap. i found a nice set from a 2007 400S for $100 and got to work. these things have some beef, and the inner is 49mm, ideal to mate to the versys clamps. they're longer, but there's enough uniform clamping surface on the inner so that they can be raised about 35mm.

the lower versys clamp is 52mm, so i just needed a sleeve with a 1.5mm wall to make it work. these were turned from a piece of scrap aluminum tube, and i added a small lip at the top so they would trim out neatly. the top clamp is 50mm, so they are just shimmed. i couldn't safely turn a piece with a .5mm wall, roughly .0197.

versys fork left, DRZ fork right

Old 01-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #155
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

as they say, one thing leads to another...

the correct spacers will center the DL1000 wheel. i already have rotors to fit the wheel in three different sizes, pick a caliper and fab a bracket. should work out great.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #156
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,530
Now this is shaping up to be my kind of build. Love the forks. Are you planning on using the full stroke/ travel?
Are you going to leave the additional offset? That will decrease your trail, bu I'm sure you have a plan
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:22 AM   #157
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
Now this is shaping up to be my kind of build. Love the forks. Are you planning on using the full stroke/ travel?
Are you going to leave the additional offset? That will decrease your trail, bu I'm sure you have a plan
yeah, i hope those forks work as good as they look. real beefy mofos, they make the versys showa usd forks look tiny. the DRZ triples have just about the same clamping surface and spacing, so with 10" between the bottom clamp and dust seal with the forks raised, there's some room. certainly more usable travel than the versys forks, one of my objectives this time around. it might be possible to put a big front end under this bike less expensively, but someone would have to show me how. this solution fit the budget perfectly.

when i get my new shock i'll tune ride height and suspension. it should steer ok.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #158
johnwesley
wanta be

My trail reply comes from dirt bike fork uses the axle infront of the tubes and the versey under the fork tubes. So if you use the stock versy clamps you end up with more offset around a inch more. That decreases trail alot. If use use the clamps that came with the drz it has less offset on the trees. They do less offset In the tripple to balance out the off set fork. Hope this is writen in a understandable way. I have been facing the Same challenge with a protect. My intened forks have .25" less offset and will give me almost 1/2" more trail. Which in my case is too much and will make the bike slow handling. Your could end up the other direction and not be stable on gravel at speed.

Hope not but somthing to look at.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #159
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Love the DR-Z forks! But out of curiosity, if you're running those, why not also run the 21" DR-Z front wheel?

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:11 AM   #160
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
My trail reply comes from dirt bike fork uses the axle infront of the tubes and the versey under the fork tubes...
i think your point is well made, and i was aware of possible issues in using these forks. my plan is to get everything in place, level out the stance, ride it, adjust the suspension, then ride it again. there are so many changes on this bike it would be hard to isolate the effect of just one. seat-of-the-pants engineering, but this is a low buck build with used parts and if something doesn't work as intended, it doesn't ruin your day to go a different direction. so i'll see how it rides, then go from there.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:11 AM   #161
freewheeler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
so with 10" between the bottom clamp and dust seal with the forks raised, there's some room.

You might want to check the fork travel ... the DRZ400 fork has 11.8 inches of travel .... You might have to put in a extra long top out bumper to limit travel to 10" ... by doing the top out mod ... you will bring the overall fork length down so you will have less problems with front to rear geometry ... and a reasonable seat height ... are you going to use the DRZ brake caliper ... or the Versys one ...?

freewheeler screwed with this post 01-06-2011 at 07:17 AM
freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #162
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Love the DR-Z forks! But out of curiosity, if you're running those, why not also run the 21" DR-Z front wheel?

--mark
hey mark, for my use i want the 19" in tubeless. custom 19" spoked front and matching 17" rear with sealed wheels just ain't in the budget, already looked at it.

the cast wheels have held up well to a pounding, and dealing with roadside tire repair up north is much easier with tubeless. you've been there, so you know fixing a tire problem in the dust, mud, bugs, rain, snow, whatever, can be a nightmare. don't want tubes.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #163
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
You might want to check the fork travel ... the DRZ400 fork has 11.8 inches of travel .... You might have to put in a extra long top out bumper to limit travel to 10" ... by doing the top out mod ... you will bring the overall fork length down so you will have less problems with front to rear geometry ... and a reasonable seat height ... are you going to use the DRZ brake caliper ... or the Versys one ...?
the 11.8" travel rating is a little puzzling because the if the forks are all the way down in the DRZ clamps, i don't think there's that much room from the underside of the bottom clamp to the seal. i'll have to check again. is there a write up on the top out mod? please point to it.

i have a DRZ caliper, but will probably use something else to fit a street style rotor in a 280-310mm diameter, maybe the 650R/Versys. both the same part.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #164
johnwesley
wanta be

looking forward to seeing it together, cause what you learn here will be of help to me with and my new project.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #165
freewheeler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
the 11.8" travel rating is a little puzzling because the if the forks are all the way down in the DRZ clamps, i don't think there's that much room from the underside of the bottom clamp to the seal. i'll have to check again. is there a write up on the top out mod? please point to it.

i have a DRZ caliper, but will probably use something else to fit a street style rotor in a 280-310mm diameter, maybe the 650R/Versys. both the same part.

With the DRZ triple tree ... the lower triple clamp has a gull wing built in, to handle the travel, unlike the versys triple ... to limit fork travel on the cartrige fork ... you will have to dissassemble the fork ... pull out the cartridge assembly and dissassemble it ... there will be a top out spring in there to do its obvious job ... once you decide how much travel you want ... make the appropriate bushing to put behind the top out spring ... reassemble
freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote