Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2010, 05:36 AM   #2086
littlefield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Just an FYI. There were horsepower/rpm charts published somewhere showing the different modes. They're all the same up to about 1/2 peak rpms and diverge from there. That's all at WOT and it's possible there are differences in the fly by wire throttle grip/throttle body proportionality for the modes. Personally, when I test drove the bike I found the throttle very sensitive. It would take some concentration to keep a rider on the back without a back rest of some kind.
littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:46 AM   #2087
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
So you dont mention if you ever put it in sport mode for the full 150hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman
I switched to Sport mode to unbridle all the ponies, which made the throttle noticeably twitchier. I hit the on ramp and grabbed about half throttle which pinned my ass to the rear of the seat (105 mph indicated in a few beats of my racing heart).
Old 11-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #2088
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefield
Just an FYI. There were horsepower/rpm charts published somewhere showing the different modes. They're all the same up to about 1/2 peak rpms and diverge from there. That's all at WOT and it's possible there are differences in the fly by wire throttle grip/throttle body proportionality for the modes. Personally, when I test drove the bike I found the throttle very sensitive. It would take some concentration to keep a rider on the back without a back rest of some kind.
There is only ONE map, the TBW with mode selection controls the throttle bodies. I run in Touring 99% of the time. I found that when I switch to SPORT, my brain changed with it to HOOLIGAN deluxe and my DL becomes endangered.

I bought the givi topbox with backrest before I even thought about putting the SO on back, and she still must hold on as I don't trust that mount.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #2089
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pirahna
I test rode the S touring and bought a standard with ABS. I took a chance that I'd be satisfied with the standard suspension and I've ended up being very happy with my decision, the standard's suspension works very well. I had an Ohlins equipped 1100S previously. While I certainly couldn't fault the way the Ohlins on the 1200S performed, it's not worth the extra bucks to me to push a button and make suspension changes. But we all have different priorities and many people love that ability and the extra cost was apparently worth it. Ask yourself how often you change your suspension settings now, or wish you could with greater ease. Twisting a knob or turning a screwdriver once in a while isn't a hardship to me.

I've got an "S" on order, but I don't disagree with you here. I did around sixty miles on the 1200S demo and while I noticed significant differences in the feel of the bike in the different modes, I liked it best when it felt closest to the way my 1100S was setup, which was sport-mode suspension with the touring throttle setting, and after the novelty of playing with the various modes was gone I don't know that I'd really change it. I'm planning on keeping this bike for awhile though, and figure I'd go all in. I've found that when you sell a Ducati the "S" models are much easier to sell and get significantly more money, so you pay more up front, get more back later.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #2090
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker
... I run in Touring 99% of the time. I found that when I switch to SPORT, my brain changed with it to HOOLIGAN deluxe and my DL becomes endangered...

Riding in town in sport mode, too many wheelies etc. Taking the other way home, with little traffic, a few more turns and a few hills and dips just to get a hit fo that torque.

I think the hands free system also changes my mind, when in sport mode.

Unless I'm heading out of town, the bike stays in urban for my pocket book and my safety.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #2091
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,091
Standard vs "S" models

Having totalled my 1200S, I get a chance for a "do-over"...

Like many of you, I was hooked as soon as I had gone through the first on-ramp. I ended up with the S Touring model, and went on to amass 12,000 miles in three months . Then I hit the patch of frost...

The insurance payout (State Farm) is very good, IMHO. I figure my 6,000 mile New Mexico-New England trip cost me about $0.30/mile. Worth every penny.

Now...I could buy a "standard" MTS1200 and have money left over, but I'm again going with the S model. Here in New Mexico most of my day rides involve some slabbing, some great mountain twisties, more slabbing, etc. The ability to switch modes between TOURING and SPORT as riding conditions change (pity there isn't a FROST mode ) greatly adds to my enjoyment of the day's ride.

And I've customized each mode to suit my rather light weight. I even customized URBAN mode for my XC trip to put me as low to the ground as possible for uneven parking garages, etc. And THAT was quite useful.

Just like my iPhone. I never had a cell phone till I got the iPhone; now I can't imagine life without it. Nearly the same thing with the "riding modes" on the Milledue. Gotta have 'em.

Complexity is the drawback. Will all this fancy stuff stand up to the test of time? We'll find out. In my 12,000 miles (admittedly just a drop in the bucket) I had no problems (well, a minor glitch in Maine which sorted itself). But none of the MTS electronics is---in itself---new; rather it's the integration of them all on one bike that's new.

In my field of engineering research (robotics) the Italians are right at the top; let's hope that carries over to the motorcycle engineers!

As always, this is all just MHO.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #2092
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,437
Does anyone know if Pat Clark's Motorsports in Vegas allows test rides and how long will he allow for someone to abuse...i mean ride a MTS?

I'm heading out to Vegas at the beginning of December and I have Saturday free. I would like to take her out for an afternoon and test her out. Nothing off rode, mostly slab.
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #2093
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 991
S Adjustable Ohlins

So I rode to San Francisco a couple of weeks ago for lunch.
I saw the weather was going to be prefect in Cali and had to ride the
Strada one more time this Winter. Yes this is a post about the awesome
adjustable suspension so keep reading.
Leaving on Monday morning from Sun Valley Idaho at 7am with the
temps in the mid 20's F and having some concern about light ice
conditions on the couple of twisty sections between SV and Boise
I choose to set the bike in the city mode with baggage. I wanted
the maximum traction and control mellow power. Getting down to the
lower elevations and warmer condition near Boise and not being sure if
there was gas in Fields Ore. or Denio Junction Nev. I switch to the
touring mode, solo with baggage. Maximum gas mileage and great suspension tuning for the 85 to 105 mph I was crusing.
There are to short cuts to get to Fields both nice dirt roads and while I prefer my KTM 990A out here I didn't want to take the long way around to get to hwy 140 to Lake View Ore. Ergo switch that puppy to
the enduro setting and ride the hour long section of dirt/gravel
before gassing up in Denio which i was happy to find open.
I've ridden a few long dirt sections on the Strada and like the enduro
setting and really wouldn't want to be in the Sport setting suspension
or power wise in some of the rough greasy section I've encountered.
Lets be honest if you have a standard model, which I would have the
suspension tuned for sport riding, would you really stop and adjust
the suspension for this dirt section, I think not.
I've never seen a LEO on hwy 140 so after gassing up switching into sport mode with baggage and let her rip for Lake View. This is a great road with a couple of nice twisty sections and very remote. Do know
if you go over 140 mph and push hard for that 120 mile section your
mpg will drop into the mid 20's .
Well from Lake View, Alturas , through Redding and down the twisties
through the coastal mountains I used the touring setting, which is
pretty compliant on some of the rough tight riding to be done
going down to SF.
Then the girl flew down, set the bike up in the two up baggage, touring
mode and cruise the back roads to Santa Cruz. The sport setting is
to harsh for her on the back so the touring mode it is.
You know if your ride one type of road on each ride and like to play
with you suspension settings and don't mind that the standards
suspension in not in the same league as the Ohlin's i'd buy the base
model. But if you do rides where you encounter differing road
condition and passenger luggage requirements the S model is the
only way to roll. IMHO
Buy the way I traded a '08 BMW K1200 GT, which also had adjustable suspension, on the Strada and it worked well but it's not
close to the Strada for grinns.
Twist It MAX
Old 11-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #2094
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg
Having totalled my 1200S, I get a chance for a "do-over"...

Like many of you, I was hooked as soon as I had gone through the first on-ramp. I ended up with the S Touring model, and went on to amass 12,000 miles in three months . Then I hit the patch of frost...
--Doc
Dr. G. - didn't you drop one when test riding ? if so, theres a trend developing - if not ............
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #2095
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg
In my field of engineering research (robotics) the Italians are right at the top; let's hope that carries over to the motorcycle engineers!
They are top notch in research, but they are quite lacking in execution ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #2096
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,103
I can take off preload while riding on the Standard, just turn the knob. No biggie. Not saying the adjustable on the fly Ohlins are not better, but depends on where you do your riding whether you will use that function.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #2097
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203
Dr. G. - didn't you drop one when test riding ? if so, theres a trend developing - if not ............
Yes I did. My back still hasn't quite recovered from that (trying to pick it up). There's probably a message there: get the Ural!

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #2098
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Handlebar risers?

Anyone put handlebar risers on their 1200? If so, what kind?

I can stand up on the 1200 but it's not as comfortable as on my ktm 690 (with handlebars raised by quite a bit). Doable - just a little low.

Thanks for any info.

Michael
Old 01-06-2011, 06:16 AM   #2099
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
They are top notch in research, but they are quite lacking in execution ...
You never seen a Ferrari, maserati, Lamborghini, Alfa romeo, mg agusta, ducati, Moto Guzzi, aprilia, bimota, not to mention more world championships on rubber than everybody else, BTW Moto Guzzi alone has more international wins at at 3300 plus than all Japanese brands combined. Read, learn grasshopper.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #2100
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
You never seen a Ferrari, maserati, Lamborghini, Alfa romeo, mg agusta, ducati, Moto Guzzi, aprilia, bimota, not to mention more world championships on rubber than everybody else, BTW Moto Guzzi alone has more international wins at at 3300 plus than all Japanese brands combined. Read, learn grasshopper.
+1

An italian bike won every 500 World Championship from 1952 until 1974 when the two strokes came along. MV Augusta won every championship from 1958 until 1974.

In world superbike since 1988 Ducati have won 16 Manufacturers Championships and Aprillia are the current champion. Honda have won 4 and Suzuki and Yamaha 1 each.

Since Formula 1 began in 1950 a little known car maker called Ferrari has won 15 championships with Mclaren second on 12. Alfa Romeo and Maserati won 2 each as well.