User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #106
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
When I was growing up my family had a nice large fireplace as our only source of heat. Then we had to move and didn't have another fireplace until we built my parents house. At this time we only really have it going in the evenings or on the weekends when we are having a nice time inside.

Bought wood maybe 3 years ago (2 courts) and still have half of it left. Granted we also have electric heat in a low power cost area.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #107
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,923
Waterford

Old 01-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #108
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
Gawd I love the first couple weeks of heating season... getting the stove fired up for the year... This is my favorite form of renewable energy...

This is our Woodstock Soapstone Fireview model... We run about 6 cords a year through it...

Four years in and no issues with it yet other than this: There is a piece of cast iron on the inside that runs across the front just above the window that I thought had gotten bent out of shape... It is designed to cause air to wash down the window to keep the flame and smoke from etching/discoloring it.. The manufacturer calls it an 'air chute'. (Part number W-172 http://www.woodstove.com/images/edit...20interior.pdf )

It is supposed to be about 1/4 inch from the window...but on the left side it was touching the window and on the right it was more like 1/2 inch away from the window...

I figured I had bent it jamming a piece of wood in while the iron was pretty warm... I called the manufacturer (surprise: they actually make them 20 miles from me) and they walked me through the process of taking a couple pieces of iron apart to get to bolts that adjust the clearance of the air chute... Totally servicable with simple tools.. love it...

Took 30 minutes on a Sunday morning... Thing is running like a champ... window has never been clearer...

Love this stove...

Anyone else love burning wood???...

Dammit A-Bone, because of you I'm gonna have to have one of these stoves. I would have been perfectly happy with a run of the mill stove till I saw yours. We'll probably build in the next year or two and I'll just have to bite the bullet because that stove is a work of art. We'll be living on 17 acres of Oak, so wood isn't a problem, splitting it is though.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #109
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
RedRocker,
I would also recommend the Fireview. I got my installed this past fall and have used it quite a bit so far this winter. I love it!
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #110
RedRocker
Native Texican

Thanks for the info, I can add you to the list of responsible people.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #111
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,103
We put in a fireview this fall. We've wanted one for a few years and couldn't pass up the 30% tax credit this year. We stopped at the factory while on vacation and my wife picked out one with real nice marbling in the soapstone.
We've heated with wood for 18 years and let them burn for 5 months straight.
All the wood burned is whatever dies on our property.
madeouttaglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:01 AM   #112
RedRocker
Native Texican

I might have to vacation up that way when we're ready. It would
be nice to pick out the one you want.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #113
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
I might have to vacation up that way when we're ready.
No sales tax in NH!!!

Quote:
It would
be nice to pick out the one you want.
They had a whole selection when we went to pick it up... due to the natural variations in the marbling of the soapstone, there were plenty of options...

Great stove... and it really is even better looking in person..
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:48 AM   #114
RedRocker
Native Texican

And it's only 1800 miles from here, I'd better ride the KLR.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #115
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,370
Quote:
And it's only 1800 miles from here, I'd better ride the KLR.
The stove will weigh about as much as the bike... they are 485lbs.

Getting our stove in the house was the challenge... my wife and I managed but it could easily have gone badly.. we are lucky that I could back the tail gate of the truck up to the front of the house... it was just about the right height... except when my fat ass and the stove got to the end of the tail gate the springs compressed about 3" ...

I was most concerned that we would damaged the grouting in the kitchen with all that weight on two small wheels when setting it... we lucked out and didn't damage it... In hind-sight I should have used plywood to distribute the weight...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #116
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
The stove will weigh about as much as the bike... they are 485lbs.

Getting our stove in the house was the challenge... my wife and I managed but it could easily have gone badly.. we are lucky that I could back the tail gate of the truck up to the front of the house... it was just about the right height... except when my fat ass and the stove got to the end of the tail gate the springs compressed about 3" ...

I was most concerned that we would damaged the grouting in the kitchen with all that weight on two small wheels when setting it... we lucked out and didn't damage it... In hind-sight I should have used plywood to distribute the weight...
I paid some local boys to move my Equinox in......they had experience moving this particular stove. At 689 lbs plus the pallet it was an interesting afternoon. They used 4" PVC pipes as rollers and made it look easy, Money well spent, that thing is a heavy beast.
MudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #117
RedRocker
Native Texican

That's good to know, thanks for tip.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #118
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Considering a pellet stove for the basement of our tri-level. There is a fireplace down there already, but without any type of insert. My only concern is mounting a large screen LCD or Plasma TV on the wall up above the fireplace, this room doubles as my theater room.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #119
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
Considering a pellet stove for the basement of our tri-level. There is a fireplace down there already, but without any type of insert. My only concern is mounting a large screen LCD or Plasma TV on the wall up above the fireplace, this room doubles as my theater room.
I'd think twice about that too. The heat from our woodstove has popped the seals on our skylights twice.
madeouttaglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #120
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
I'd think twice about that too. The heat from our woodstove has popped the seals on our skylights twice.
I am still at the considering point. These are questions that need to be answered. I know the pellet stove can be turned down so it is not so hot, but ti may still be a deal breaker.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: