Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #76
Nesbocaj
Politicians suck

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Your RT installation looks very clean and simple. Definitely not having the two relays and Autoswitch would be cleaner.

I need to get the black cloth tape as well as it sure hides the wiring well.

Thanks for the photo
Pardon me for not saying "effin' great schematic"!

I got a roll of the black tape as a sample, I am thinking of buying a case. It is the same tape that BMW uses; Certoplast.

Nesbocaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #77
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Your RT installation looks very clean and simple. Definitely not having the two relays and Autoswitch would be cleaner.

I need to get the black cloth tape as well as it sure hides the wiring well.

Thanks for the photo
Nice job! - and a coupla suggestions.

First - cloth tape - get a roll of Hockey Stick Tape from the local sporting goods store. Nearly identical in appearance to the BMW harness tape, available in several widths and at a very non-BMW price.

On a GS (or any other bike, when possible), we prefer not to run the wiring over the frame and under the seat, to minimize the possibility of wires being abraded or pinched over time. It's tight, but there's enough room to snake the wiring behind/under the frame, then cut a notch in both front corners of the tool tray with a razor knife, and bring the wiring up from inside the tray, thru a hole in the Lexan plate you made. We'd probably put a grommet on the Lexan plate, a well to run the wires through.

We prefer to use braided loom, rather than the corrugated plastic stuff. It's a lot easier to work with, is more flexible and very durable.

Doing wiring the right way, takes a long time, as you've found. I am not surprised that you spent as much time as you did.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #78
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
LEDs always on?

Is it normal for the LEDs to be on all the time, even with the ignition off? If so, what is the current draw?

I cleaned up my install by shortening some more leads and using black cloth friction tape from Home Depot. It definitely looks better.

I was not able to run my heated gear of the switched circuit. The LED turned red immediately. I thought I would have enough current to run jacket, pants, gloves and socks, but it turned red with the jacket alone.

I connected them straight to the battery though my tender lead, which is probably cleaner anyway. I took a ride at my 19F this morning to check out my new Krista lights. Full heat is wonderful.

I'm thinking I have something not quite right here. Everything else works fine.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #79
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post

On a GS (or any other bike, when possible), we prefer not to run the wiring over the frame and under the seat, to minimize the possibility of wires being abraded or pinched over time. It's tight, but there's enough room to snake the wiring behind/under the frame, then cut a notch in both front corners of the tool tray with a razor knife, and bring the wiring up from inside the tray, thru a hole in the Lexan plate you made. We'd probably put a grommet on the Lexan plate, a well to run the wires through.

We prefer to use braided loom, rather than the corrugated plastic stuff. It's a lot easier to work with, is more flexible and very durable.

Doing wiring the right way, takes a long time, as you've found. I am not surprised that you spent as much time as you did.
Thanks for the great suggestions. I wish I'd found that braided stuff before putting the bike back together!

I also like the idea of running the wires under the frame and into slots in the housing. Much cleaner.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #80
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Is it normal for the LEDs to be on all the time, even with the ignition off? If so, what is the current draw?

I cleaned up my install by shortening some more leads and using black cloth friction tape from Home Depot. It definitely looks better.

I was not able to run my heated gear of the switched circuit. The LED turned red immediately. I thought I would have enough current to run jacket, pants, gloves and socks, but it turned red with the jacket alone.

{snip}

I'm thinking I have something not quite right here. Everything else works fine.
Noooo, the LED's aren't supposed to stay on with the ignition off, and the way you wired things will present you with a dead battery in pretty short order.

Looking at your wiring diagram, you have connected your ignition switched items to the BULLSHIT CANBUS BMW ACCESSORY PLUG, that is good to power a GPS, and not much of anything else.

The problem with that overly complex Canbus socket nightmare of a German-excuse-to-sell-you-a-$200-battery-charger is that it is 'load dependent'. The POS battery charger's 'sposta work like this... Plug in charger, turn on ignition. Absurd Canbus recognizes said charger. Turn off ignition. Charger continues to power the accessory circuit and anything connected to that bus. Brilliant, huh? Well, not so much. The Canbus *thinks* that the goodies you have connected to the accessory socket is that stinkin' charger, so the accessory socket is staying powered even after you turn off the ignition.

Now - get this... Wired as you have, sometimes you may find the Canbus socket will stay powered with ignition off (and the Krista's will stay on) and sometimes not. Some bikes will exhibit the issue all the time and some (even the same model) not at all. I guess this is part that character that is so lacking in Japanese bikes.

My suggestion is to use a Posi-tap and connect all that switched ignition stuff, instead, to the green/blue wire at the diagnostic connector under the seat. That wire is non-Canbus ignition switched power. Problem solved.

When we get BMW's in the shop here, we install *real Powerlet sockets* in place of that impostor socket. Plus this lets our customers use the battery tender of their choosing.

Lastly - all of that heated gear, I will estimate is drawing in the neighborhood of 12-16 amps, depending on how high you have the controller set. You could measure it with an ammeter to be sure. I haven't played around with the PDM-60 yet, but it could be that even on the 15Amp circuit, it may not be happy with the pulse-width modulated temperature controller, even with just the jacket liner only. I'd have to get one to sort things out.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto screwed with this post 01-03-2011 at 11:12 PM
RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #81
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
My suggestion is to use a Posi-tap and connect all that switched ignition stuff, instead, to the green/blue wire at the diagnostic connector under the seat. That wire is non-Canbus ignition switched power. Problem solved.
Thanks. I agree it was a mistake to use the time-delayed-shutdown BMW GPS power to operate a time-delayed-shutdown PDM60. I'm sure "Thou shalt not use multiple time delays" is carved in a stone tablet somewhere.

I'll switch to the green/blue diagnostic plug wire this weekend (after the Motorcycle Show!) during my "Phase 3 wire cleanup" job.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:52 AM   #82
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Heated gear alternative

Quote:
N
Lastly - all of that heated gear, I will estimate is drawing in the neighborhood of 12-16 amps, depending on how high you have the controller set. You could measure it with an ammeter to be sure. I haven't played around with the PDM-60 yet, but it could be that even on the 15Amp circuit, it may not be happy with the pulse-width modulated temperature controller, even with just the jacket liner only. I'd have to get one to sort things out.
I think you are right about the interaction between the PWM-modulated heated gear and the PDM60. I found a cleaner solution anyway. I made a short jumper with an SAE plug on one end and the Warm-N-Safe cylindrical female plug on the other. I have another jumper with an SAE plug on one side, directly wired to the battery to connect my tender. When I need heat, I install the jumper (strategically tie strapped to the bike) and plug the gear to a direct (but fused) battery connection. No PDM involved and I avoid a fourth connection on the battery terminals.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #83
Arby60
Bluegrass Rider

Oddometer: 216
Quote:

First - cloth tape - get a roll of Hockey Stick Tape from the local sporting goods store. Nearly identical in appearance to the BMW harness tape, available in several widths and at a very non-BMW price.

Thanks for the braided loom link. There are several types shown on that site. Which do you recommend? Also, would the braided loom be used in place of or in addition to the hockey stick tape?
Arby60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #84
Nesbocaj
Politicians suck

I am running Gerbings jacket and gloves off of one of the 15amp lines, it works fine. If you wanted to you could use one of the 5amp lines to
throw a relay and wire the heated gear directly to the battery giving you ignition controlled (off and on) heated gear, but I thought the idea was
to do away with the relays and fuses if possible.

Time for the guy that built the product to step in........................

EDIT to add: I also have a set of driving lights on the PDM as well. Completely forgot about them.

Nesbocaj screwed with this post 01-08-2011 at 05:42 PM
Old 01-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #85
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Final version!

I took the advice offerred here and did some more cleanup work on my install. The guys at Rowe Electronics were great for questions. The whole setup now works great: PDM60 - Autoswitch - Clearwater Krista LED aux lights - heated gear.

I got an education in all the wrong ways to work with crimp connectors. In the end I did everything with Posi-Lok products and soldered crimps. I know the crimp joints should work without the soldering, but I just couldn't make myself confident.

I like the suggestion to run the wires under the frame, rather than over. Now the stock BMW wire bundle that runs over top looks out of place!

I also added an external switch (left over from the Krista install kit) for the non-ignition controlled circuit on the PDM-60. At this time, I don't have anything connected to it. I think I may wire in my micro-USB power supply to recharge my Cardo Scala G4 unit. I haven't been that far from 110V power so far, so it isn't a priority. Here is a photo of the charger I made by canibalizing a small cigarette lighter USB charger:

PowerLet makes a "proper" micro-USB direct-battery connector, but it costs $45. I had this stuff lying around.

It would look neater (no wires to see) if I used a black plastic mounting panel instead of the lexan. But, again, I had it lying around...

I still want to see some other installs.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 01-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #86
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,875
Isn't the purpose of the PDM to get rid of extra relays?????????????
Old 01-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #87
Nesbocaj
Politicians suck

Quote:
I took the advice offerred here and did some more cleanup work on my install. The guys at Rowe Electronics were great for questions. The whole setup now works great: PDM60 - Autoswitch - Clearwater Krista LED aux lights - heated gear.
Hey Craig, that turned out great!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #88
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Relays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Isn't the purpose of the PDM to get rid of extra relays?????????????
The PDM60 isn't the driver for the relays. It's main benefit is eliminating fuses, not relays. It has its own internal switching for the power circuits tied either to ignition or an external switch. I needed two relays for different reasons: Canbus and Autoswitch.

My Stebel horn pulls much more current than the stock BMW horn. I had been warned that just directly connecting the stock power feed (switched by the horn button) would not provide enough current and result in a Canbus fault. So, I tied the horn button to a relay and fed the Stebel current from the PDM60 through that. One of you may tell me that the horn will work fine straight off the Canbus, but I wanted one less thing to worry about!

The second relay was for the Autoswitch to eliminate the need to add a separate switch on the bars for the Krista lights. The turn-signal cancel button trips the Autoswitch, which trips the relay, which sends PDM60 power to the Krista module. The Autoswitch output is a 12v signal and the Krista module is looking for a switch closure: the relay bridges that gap.

(PS - I thought I posted this earlier today - but I seem to have killed it somehow!)
Old 01-18-2011, 12:09 AM   #89
katego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
The second relay was for the Autoswitch to eliminate the need to add a separate switch on the bars for the Krista lights. The turn-signal cancel button trips the Autoswitch, which trips the relay, which sends PDM60 power to the Krista module. The Autoswitch output is a 12v signal and the Krista module is looking for a switch closure: the relay bridges that gap.
I'm in the middle of a very similar project on a R1150GS. Is the need for a 2nd relay a requirement with the PDM60? Doesn't the Krista harness have a relay built in? (my kit includes eastern beaver PC8, Autoswitch, and krista lights)

-k
Old 01-18-2011, 03:48 AM   #90
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

2nd relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by katego View Post
I'm in the middle of a very similar project on a R1150GS. Is the need for a 2nd relay a requirement with the PDM60? Doesn't the Krista harness have a relay built in? (my kit includes eastern beaver PC8, Autoswitch, and krista lights)

-k
My install included 2 relays, but they have nothing to do with the PDM60. The Kristas do have some sort of internal relay that clicks on when the two external switch (red) wires are connected via an external switch. The PDM60 simply provides fused power (although the Krista module power lead comes with it's own fuse - that I didn't use.)

I used a relay on the Kristas to enable the Autoswitch. The Autoswitch creates a 12v signal when the turn signal cancel button is pushed. I routed that signal to a relay which replaces the external switch for the Kristas. I mis-spoke in my earlier post as the relay does not provide POWER to the Kristas, but replaces the external switch. Power comes directly through the PDM60 from one of the ignition-switched circuits.

There may be another way to skin this cat without the relay. As I read the schematic, the Krista module needs both an ignition-triggered 12v input AND the external switch closure to fire the lights. I now wonder if we could just permanently joined the external switch wires and routed the Autoswitch output to the Krista ignition wire. The Autoswitch has a separate ground lead for the 12v output that is intended to go to the low side of the relay coil. I wonder if that were connected straight to ground only, if it would work.

You could contact the Krista people to see if that would work. I know the relay method works fine and I have no intentions to rewire.

Also, if the GS stock horn circuit can flow enough juice for the Stebel without a CanBus error, I wouldn't need the other relay either. Someone could give that a try and let us know if it works.