Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #121
Snowfreak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Has anyone tried this app out yet to access forums

http://www.tapatalk.com/

Motorcycles must be very big and loud and chromed, and must bark and smoke, and you only ride them on Sundays--Dear God that's not what a motorcycle is!!! Erik Buell
Snowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #122
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
yes, if ur a frequent flyer to a forum or two (or three) it's a slick quick link. ADV supports tapatalk.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #123
Snowfreak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
yes, if ur a frequent flyer to a forum or two (or three) it's a slick quick link. ADV supports tapatalk.
Thanks, I buzz around here enough to probably make it worth my time Since I don't always have 3G or wifi available, I was thinking that alone would make it worth it.

Motorcycles must be very big and loud and chromed, and must bark and smoke, and you only ride them on Sundays--Dear God that's not what a motorcycle is!!! Erik Buell
Snowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #124
beachdancer
Beachdancer

Oddometer: 53
Has anyone had any success using iPhone Voice Memo or Dragon Dictation apps, over bluetooth with the Nolan N-Com helmet system?
beachdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #125
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
+1. I use it on several forums. There are a few moto web sites that said they were going to be developing their own iPhone/Android app, but tapatalk has been accelerating in terms of features and reach. I can't see that it makes sense for a small group of web sites to develop an app, especially when the cost to the site owner is nil.

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #126
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachdancer View Post
Has anyone had any success using iPhone Voice Memo or Dragon Dictation apps, over bluetooth with the Nolan N-Com helmet system?
I just tried using the Scala Rider 2. It did not work.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #127
mesaliving
Making it happen

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
I'm using Evernote for journaling. Very powerful and it syncs to your desktop system and iPad if needed.
+1 on Evernote - also check out dropbox
Old 01-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #128
mesaliving
Making it happen

bookmarks

I know most of the discussion is revolving around apps but something I find very useful is bookmarking dept of transportation sites (depending on what state your in or traveling through). You can bookmark and add to your screen and place all in a folder - I have Colorado DOT in my weather folder for instance. You could also, once inside a DOT site find highway webcams or specific roads (interstate, HWY etc..) and bookmark those. This is a quick and easy way to get what you need before rolling through, say the mountain passes.

Great Thread!!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #129
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Along those lines, I use an app call trafficamNZ. And load the cam along my routes.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #130
mesaliving
Making it happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
Along those lines, I use an app call trafficamNZ. And load the cam along my routes.
I'll have to check that one out!!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #131
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

It's not the simplest to set up. It's far from idiot proof. But once you have what you want it works well. I used this to ride from pa to sc about a Month ago. I set it for a camera every 100 miles to avoid the snow. It helped a lot as you can see below passing thru wv.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #132
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Ok
I wrote a note to apple today. A suggestion for motorcyclist. I want the lock orientation button to lock in either orientation. Not just portrait. This would be good when using gps software in landscape. I find on a bike it skips back and forth more when the phone is in landscape mode and becomes almost useless. So I have my phone locked in portrait. This is not a huge request since the iPad already does this. It might already be part of the next OS. But it never hurts to ask.

A reminder on how to lock the orientation. Double click the button as if to switch programs. Then slide the lower icons to the right revealing the iPod controls and the orientation lock button. The best thing I learned fromnthis thread.

NachoRoto screwed with this post 01-11-2011 at 10:07 PM
NachoRoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:31 AM   #133
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post

You're really complaining about $10? It's less than the price of a frigging movie ticket.

The data feed may be free, but the app to access it and parse the data is still worth paying for to reward the developer's time and effort. For your measly $10, you get an outstanding app that has useful features and doesn't have ads plastered all over it.

I ride a Wee-Strom; I'm pretty damn cheap. And even I think $10 for a solid, genuinely useful piece of software is a great deal.

--mark
Bit of a late reply. I'm not cheap, but I like to seek value for my money. The Accuweather app does the same thing and it's free. I too used a similar feed and other satellite imagery for defining pest infestations in crops, down to the 1/2 acre scale. Drastically cut the use of pesticides (good for the planet) and cost (good for the farmer). That application was unique (at the time), so people were willing to pay for it.

I'm all for rewarding the developer's time and effort. Especially since I've personally developed applications for which I was mostly paid handsomely.

However, I'm all about the free market. If you don't produce something that compelling enough, and keep ahead of the competition, people will go elsewhere. Sucks sometimes, especially after investing $80,000 for a digital signature application back in 1995 and $50,0000 on a mobile banking application back in 2000 (prototyped on a Psion Series 5). But, I wouldn't have it any other way.
IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #134
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 197
Thanks for the heads up on the Trackr program. Now $3.99 is worth it for this app.

I have the SPOT messenger which is nice for emergencies (satellite based rather than cellular), but the Trackr will work great on the iPhone. One less thing to have on the handlebars.

IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #135
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Verizon today announced the iPhone is coming to verizon on feb 4th to current subscribers and feb 10th to new customers. So if you are unhappy with AT&T. Or your droid. Your wait is over. I think our little app thread is about to get pretty busy.