User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
willierides OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Well, I finally get to see the results of running lean

Finally tore into my 1979 TS250 last night after blowing it up last summer.

Guess it's passed time to check my dry-side crank seals and verify everything else (timing, air leaks, etc.) are in spec. I knew she was starting to act a little odd, but didn't think it was that bad. Guess it was.

01 CR250 ("DTX"), '72 Bultaco Astro flattrackers
02 RM125 basket case
willierides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,318
Looks like no oil in the fuel
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Timing can do that too.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by willierides View Post
Finally tore into my 1979 TS250 last night after blowing it up last summer.

Guess it's passed time to check my dry-side crank seals and verify everything else (timing, air leaks, etc.) are in spec. I knew she was starting to act a little odd, but didn't think it was that bad. Guess it was.

See how the top edge of the piston above that new hole has had material blasted away?...it's detonation that did the damage. It may have been exacerbated by the jetting being off, but the lean condition only set the stage for what followed.

It squeaked, big-time.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
willierides OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
I'm not an expert on catastrophic failures like this. I usually am more proactive, but just kind of rode this old girl too hard, too long without paying her any mind.

I think straight gas would actually look different and be on the intake side? This is on the exhaust side and appears to me to be a classic case of a very lean condition. Maybe the magneto side seal is gone (my suspicion), jetting could be off (don't think so) or, as said above, my timing may be off (could also contribute to detonation?). When I had it apart at one time I simply marked the ignition "plate" location and re-installed it to where it was originally. That may have been wrong before I took it apart, maybe I didn't get it exactly where it was. Dunno. But I just ordered a SWEET new timing light....digital with a built in strobe tach, etc. Can't wait to play with it!
02 RM125 basket case
Old 01-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
No need for any timing light, as ring-dings of that era were static-timed with a dial gauge. After gapping the points, there should be a number in the book that lists the points-opening as a distance before TDC, not in degrees. It's measured with the dial-gauge inserted through the sparkplug hole.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
willierides OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh Togo View Post
No need for any timing light, as ring-dings of that era were static-timed with a dial gauge. After gapping the points, there should be a number in the book that lists the points-opening as a distance before TDC, not in degrees. It's measured with the dial-gauge inserted through the sparkplug hole.
Nope. It has "PEI", Pointless Electronic Ignition. Onlyt way to set the timing is with a timing light at 6,000 rpm. The tachs on these bikes are notoriously inaccurate (especially this one, I think, lol). That's why I bought the light that I did, it has the built in tach so I can accurately set the timing at the right rpm.

I suspect the crank seals have outlived their usefulness.
02 RM125 basket case
Old 01-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Wrong. That's a lean melt down without a doubt. No oil would be seizure all around, the crown would not be melted on the exhaust port edge like that.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Timing can do that too.
Wrong. Improper timing on a two stroke will put a hole dead center of the piston, like it was sandblasted through.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by willierides View Post
I'm not an expert on catastrophic failures like this. I usually am more proactive, but just kind of rode this old girl too hard, too long without paying her any mind.

I think straight gas would actually look different and be on the intake side? This is on the exhaust side and appears to me to be a classic case of a very lean condition. Maybe the magneto side seal is gone (my suspicion), jetting could be off (don't think so) or, as said above, my timing may be off (could also contribute to detonation?). When I had it apart at one time I simply marked the ignition "plate" location and re-installed it to where it was originally. That may have been wrong before I took it apart, maybe I didn't get it exactly where it was. Dunno. But I just ordered a SWEET new timing light....digital with a built in strobe tach, etc. Can't wait to play with it!
Crank seal is a likely candidate, don't forget to check the crab flange/boot for leaks. Base gasket (rare) can do this as well.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Wrong. Improper timing on a two stroke will put a hole dead center of the piston, like it was sandblasted through.
timing too far advanced can (and will erode) the front of the piston just like that. it is definitely not an oil issue. could be a lean issue also.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more

stainlesscycle screwed with this post 01-09-2011 at 12:42 PM
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #12
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
Could be something as simple as a small piece of shit in the main jet. Not a complete blockage, just a partial obstruction. That'll cause it to run lean.

It sure was detonating, what with the hole in the piston.
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote