Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #76
/2killer
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhammer
I think the /2 with the 1150gs engine is very cool and was done very well are you a machinist? This is what they call in the automotive world as restofy they take old Camaro's all the time leave the outside and interior looking org. then install a late model drive train. I have a org. /2 but I like this allot I would like to ride it. Job well done
Hi Jhammer - I'm not a machinist, just a backyard mechanic like everyone else. Your right on how the idea go started. I did the "restomod" thing (I'm not big on the term) to old Corvettes back in the late 80's. I still have a 1961 with a late model aluminum head motor and a 5 speed (yes, I put disk brakes on the front). I'm working on a 63 split window now - that one will get the motor, trans, brakes, suspension, etc out of an LS powered Corvette from a crashed C5 or C6. The way I see it, you get the best of both worlds - cool old style and modern performance. The trick is not to over do it by letting the new stuff show too much. This is hard to do on a bike.
/2killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #77
dr_sean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
I love it dude!
dr_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #78
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,211
It's pretty...
But at 80HP or 30HP, you still can't stop it....

I think those custom headers need to get chromed....it IS a /2 after all.....

danedg screwed with this post 01-10-2011 at 03:21 PM
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #79
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by /2killer View Post
Hi Jhammer - I'm not a machinist, just a backyard mechanic like everyone else. Your right on how the idea go started. I did the "restomod" thing (I'm not big on the term) to old Corvettes back in the late 80's. I still have a 1961 with a late model aluminum head motor and a 5 speed (yes, I put disk brakes on the front). I'm working on a 63 split window now - that one will get the motor, trans, brakes, suspension, etc out of an LS powered Corvette from a crashed C5 or C6. The way I see it, you get the best of both worlds - cool old style and modern performance. The trick is not to over do it by letting the new stuff show too much. This is hard to do on a bike.
You are insane.

Marry me.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #80
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Just like I asked in post #2 over two years ago, how in the hell do you stop this thing?
I've had conversions with 750cc with a /6 drum and it was sketchy at best, my friends 750cc conversion with dual discs and a master cylinder under the tank was a little better, but come on, this has to be pants-pissing scary with all that grunt.
Don't get me wrong, I learned to ride on Nortons with shitty drum brakes.
I know how to plan my stops.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #81
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Just like I asked in post #2 over two years ago, how in the hell do you stop this thing?
Carefully
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #82
matteo
HPM

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
I've had conversions with 750cc with a /6 drum and it was sketchy at best, my friends 750cc conversion with dual discs and a master cylinder under the tank was a little better, but come on, this has to be pants-pissing scary with all that grunt.
Don't get me wrong, I learned to ride on Nortons with shitty drum brakes.
I know how to plan my stops.
I think the brakes are plenty fine. Just one blip of the gas and that rear drive will be shredded from the power of that engine. The bike is for looking, not moving. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't mind having in my garage.

At my work that thing would be called an engineering model, not a flight model.
matteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #83
Jimbosidecar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
1200/2

I saw that bike on E-Bay about 6 months ago. I think it sold for well under $10K. I have 2 slash 2 conversions, both with 1000cc motors. I guess maybe 65-70 HP. This wouldn't be that much more HP. I do have twin discs at the front of both bikes though. Both bikes are riders, not garage queens.
Regds,
Jim
www.bmwsidecar.com
Jimbosidecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:41 AM   #84
/2killer
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbosidecar View Post
I saw that bike on E-Bay about 6 months ago. I think it sold for well under $10K. I have 2 slash 2 conversions, both with 1000cc motors. I guess maybe 65-70 HP. This wouldn't be that much more HP. I do have twin discs at the front of both bikes though. Both bikes are riders, not garage queens.
Regds,
Jim
www.bmwsidecar.com
How about more like well over 10k, or $16900.00 to be exact! The horsepower is more like 98hp with way more torque than the old carb motors you speak of. Also, I rode this thousands of miles for the summer I had it, and I think Peter is riding the tires off it now - so much foryour garage queens poke.

Try to get your facts straight Jim.

The conversions you do are easy - many people have done this "bolt in" conversion on their /2 since the mid 70's.

Try using a torch, and fabricate something, Jim.

This thread should be done now.
Steve
Old 02-09-2014, 05:15 AM   #85
dxamet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Very, very nice job /2killer.
Just 2 questions. where is the oil cooler and did you put the fuel pump in the gas tank?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #86
/2killer
n00b

Thanks dxamet - the oil cooler is one of the small ones used on both sides of and RT (I think) and I mounted it at pan level right in front of the motor. The fuel pump is a Walbro unit (round) mounted on a bracket on the backbone frame tube, under the tank
Steve