User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #16
Oregon_Rider
Let's go fast

Oddometer: 2
I think that you have to have been raised on Tommy's to appreciate their signature burger. I married a valley girl and everytime we visit she drags me to the one in Canoga Park. I manage somehow but can't help feeling that those burgers would go down better with beer.
Oregon_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #17
sdmotor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
I can remember going as a kid when all they had was burgers and can of soda. If you asked for something to be removed from the burger you were normally told to pick it off....

Good times.....

Good times.....
Old 12-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #18
sdmotor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
Jeebus man, no kidding. I spent 10 years a mile from the Roscoe & 405 location and ate at the Rampart Tomain's two or three Christmas's in a row (it was something fun to do on Christmas night--and it was the only location open on xmas).

Then they put the new one up here in Palmdale and I started eating there again. I'm 41 now but I have to tell ya'--nothing--nothing else makes me feel sicker than a Tomain's triple-cheese.

OMG, I ate there three times and every time I got these weird flu-like symptoms. I'm not talking about throwing up or anything like that. It was strange, achy-muscles, want-to-go-to-sleep-for-a-week symptoms that usually lasted 12-24 hours.

I miss the tradition of going there at 2:00 AM and getting a triple-cheese, no-onions and feasting on that huge slice of tomato or the heap of pickles and mustard, but I just can't do it anymore.

That much grease coursing through your arteries is bound to make you a little ill. Puts me in nap mode in a hurry.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #19
Dano 407
One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer: 6,342
My college roomate was a cancer survivor. He was from Van Nuys and I from Merced (over the grapevine). He ended up with another bout of the bad shit and talked of Tommy's fondly. We ate at the Van Nuys (I think, whatever was near the Bud brewery; I'm not a So cal guy) place many times in the year and a half I ran around with him.

Andy died at Christmas of 87 and I kept a few memories of him.

One of which was Tommy's!
So I dragged my wife and kids down to LA (what we call the area from the grapevive to mexico) in the winter of 2003 specifically to eat at three places: Tommy's where Andy and I ate, The original Tommy's (only because it was the original, and neither of us had ever been near there) and Philipe the Original, the originator of the French dip sandwich, near Central Station.

We also hit the tar pits and the Peterson Automotive Museum, but it was the Tommy's connection that was the best.

D
Old 12-24-2006, 10:49 PM   #20
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,462
Holy cow, it's Christmas freakin' eve, I'm hungry and they just played a Tommy's ad on TV. Now I'm wondering if the Palmdale store is still open. Man, that thing will kill me if I do it.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:29 PM   #21
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Major
...though it's hard to pass up In n' Out, my new favorite drunk food, with locations in Pasadena and Arcadia..
In n Out is good, but Fatburger is better!

being originaly from California, but ABOVE the fold in the map, i've never had a Tommy's burger, or a Pink's dog, or a real Dodger Dog.
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #22
ldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Willies

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfinley
Fortunately it is now a 361 mile ride to the nearest Tommy's, so most of the time I can just bask in the memories of balmy late December nights on Rampart Blvd. with exotic crowds.

As one who knows, you might try Willies here in Sac or Folsom and give us a review. Here's one:

"They have a fairly good knockoff of a "Tommy Burger" (If you are from L.A. you know what I'm talking about. My only gripe is unlike Tommy's which is always excellent, it can be hit-or-miss here at Willies, sometimes you get a great burger, sometimes less. The folsom location seems better (and with Sudwerk's on tap, it's worth the trip). "

Thanks
Old 01-19-2007, 12:04 AM   #23
brfinley OP
Brooster

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrider
Quote:
Fortunately it is now a 361 mile ride to the nearest Tommy's, so most of the time I can just bask in the memories of balmy late December nights on Rampart Blvd. with exotic crowds.

As one who knows, you might try Willies here in Sac or Folsom and give us a review. Here's one:

"They have a fairly good knockoff of a "Tommy Burger" (If you are from L.A. you know what I'm talking about. My only gripe is unlike Tommy's which is always excellent, it can be hit-or-miss here at Willies, sometimes you get a great burger, sometimes less. The folsom location seems better (and with Sudwerk's on tap, it's worth the trip). "

Thanks
I'm on it.
  1. Sudwerk is a good sign.
  2. Balmy is a pipe dream in Northern California in December.
  3. There have been no exotic crowds in Folsom since the Gold Rush.

BRF
brfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:12 AM   #24
bb5999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
another vampire here

Though born in Torrance and having lived in LA as a kiddy, I did high school in No. CAL. My Tommy's experiences are more recent, most in the early nineties. Thre are four, all at night, all very late and a bit foggy.

One, La Habra, two, three and four all at a shop somewhere near UCLA because over the years the visits all conicided with UCLA vs. AZ basketball games.

LOVE the raw onion. I consider Tommy's to be in a different class than In n Out or Fatburger....just something completely different about it. Satisfies a different urge.

Now a question for you So. CAL types....Cupid's. Where is it? You know what I'm talking about, the chili dogs which pop when you bite into them?

Was there in a fog, some 10 years ago.......

eric

-cake

Gringo in Reno, NV
bb5999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:24 AM   #25
highermath
code wrangler

Oddometer: 286
Returning to LA from DVDaze, I skipped breakfast, so by the time I hit the Palmdale Tommy's 240 miles later, I was ready. Double and chilli fries - yuuuuummmmm.

I didn't feel any need to eat again for a day and a half.

BTW, they now do grilled onions on request.
highermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #26
floundermike2010
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thank for the post! great stuff bro!
John W. Gardner
floundermike2010 is offline   Reply With Quote