Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #61
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter12 View Post
Hi Scott and company. I am new to the site, and have only just started my way around. But, ironically, I, too, just purchased a 2008 Guzzi Norge, new-in-the-crate, from Dave at Moto International. Plan on riding it back to Colorado sometime later this spring.

Have a couple of questions for Norge owners, particularly two-valve vintage. (2009 and earlier, I believe.)

There have been complaints of centerstand issues, and the 4-valves have clearly been redesigned. To what extent have 2-valve owners experienced problems? My prior extensive touring was on RS BMWs, and grinding down the valve covers from our ambitious riding was a badge-of-honor. (Though the actual badge may have been for youthful stupidity.)

Another one that concerns is the description in some of the reviews of the stock bags leaking in the rain. I had a roof once that only leaked when it rained. Didn't seem helpful. Any experience with that? I know a local who does excellent sewing, and I thought of having her create covers that I could put on. Was in the fire service, and using a swath of the reflective material on otherwise black covers wouldn't be a bad thing.

Also need to look for interior bags. All my BMW riding was done with Krauser or the Integrals, and the interior bags were great. I'd stop for the evening, and take them inside.

Guess I'll leave it at that, and wait to see if I need to start a different thread or not.

Thanks for reading.

John
Congrats on your new bike!! I like bag liners too, there are some inexpensive aftermarket ones out there that work real well.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #62
Firefighter12
n00b

Oddometer: 6
good aftermarketers?

thanks, dave.

any websites you favor for searching for aftermarket stuff? nearly everything i did in the past was bmw-based, and i just held my breath and bought their parts because they always worked and were designed well. heard one notion that the guzzi liner bags aren't as good as they should be.

respectfully,

john
Firefighter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #63
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
thanks, dave.

any websites you favor for searching for aftermarket stuff? nearly everything i did in the past was bmw-based, and i just held my breath and bought their parts because they always worked and were designed well. heard one notion that the guzzi liner bags aren't as good as they should be.

respectfully,

john
nah, I just google, but I think I remember buying a nice set from Cee Bailies (windshield guys) a long time ago....or maybe I dreamt it...
Old 01-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #64
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
{snip} I, too, just purchased a 2008 Guzzi Norge, new-in-the-crate, from Dave at Moto International. Plan on riding it back to Colorado sometime later this spring.
A great choice - I purchased my 07 from Dave - best thing I've done since marrying my wife.

Quote:
Have a couple of questions for Norge owners, particularly two-valve vintage. (2009 and earlier, I believe.)

There have been complaints of centerstand issues, and the 4-valves have clearly been redesigned. To what extent have 2-valve owners experienced problems?
Getting your bike from Dave will eliminate the center stand issue for the most part. Starting in 08, the center stand stop was much smaller than the 07. Cutting it down to 1/4" - 3/8" gets the stand up out of the way. Also, at least on my bike, there was an additional hole drilled in the muffler bracket to move the pipe up a bit - not so far that it hits the bags, but gives a bit more clearance. If you are dragging the center stand after that mod, remove it. I drag the pegs occasionally, but not the center stand. My normal mode includes the panniers.

Quote:
Another one that concerns is the description in some of the reviews of the stock bags leaking in the rain. I had a roof once that only leaked when it rained. Didn't seem helpful. Any experience with that? I know a local who does excellent sewing, and I thought of having her create covers that I could put on. Was in the fire service, and using a swath of the reflective material on otherwise black covers wouldn't be a bad thing.

Also need to look for interior bags. All my BMW riding was done with Krauser or the Integrals, and the interior bags were great. I'd stop for the evening, and take them inside.
The handle indentation will collect water (I guess it doesn't rain in Italy) and when you open the pannier, that collected water will dump into the now open pannier. Check out Bags For Bikes. The ones I've seen from them have been very nice. I have the Moto Guzzi set, but I've never found a reason to use them in almost two years of owning the bike. I just pull the bags and take them into the room at night.

There is a replacement seal for the panniers that is supposed to help. I got one but haven't ridden in the rain since I installed it (love SoCal winters ). It feels like I'm getting a better seal, but who knows. That still won't do anything for the water accumulating in the handle area.

Reflective panels - I got mine from this guy on eBay. Perfect fit.

If you are a spirited rider (sounds like you are), you'll want to upgrade the suspension and get rid of the Metzlers. I run Dunlop Road Smarts and they make quite a difference in confidence with stock suspension.

At the end of '07 Guzzi changed the shock spring. While better, it still leaves a lot to be desired and did nothing for the front springs. Todd Egan at GuzziTech talked me into the HyperPro custom shock and matched rear spring as well as the progressive front springs and cartridge emulators. WOW! It's a totally different bike. The front end stays planted in the corners and does not wallow, bumps mid corner no longer cause a sudden jump in heart rate, and the front end dive is greatly reduced. Definitely worth the $1K.

I've recently changed to a programmable O2 controller. I now have an air fuel mixture of 13.8 to 1 in the areas where the EPA wants it super lean, which fixes some of the ragged low rpm/small throttle opening issues. Low RPM control is much better and the bike just feels nicer at a cost of about 1 MPG. It's not the full re-flashed ECU+custom power commander+auto tune, but it was also only $100. Until I'm ready for the full boat fix, I'm more than satisfied.

So, welcome to the family. Be sure to check out Wild Guzzi (especially the Wild Goose Chase forum) and GuzziTech for the forums and tech information. You'll probably get the maintenance manual on CD, but it not, it's available on the GuzziTech site. Also, even though it's mostly for older Guzzis, get a copy of Guzziology from Dave (he wrote it). It's THE reference for lessons learned about keeping these beasts running.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #65
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
To give my perspective on the issues you brought up, let me say this:
#1. I have not had any problems with the centerstand scraping because I just do not lean it that hard. If I was a hard rider, I would take it off.
#2. When I am going on an overnight trip I use the Hard bags and then I take them off and bring them in the room. Try that with your Harley... I also invested in some big zip lock bags that I can put my clothes in. Problem solved, and my clothes are organized to boot. It is raining in the Northwest today, chances are that I will not be riding the Norge. I realize if you are riding cross country and you get caught in a rain storm, you want the luggage dry. One person talked about some kind of gasket kit for the luggage, but I do not see the need for me.
I have almost 5000 miles on the Norge and I have not experienced anything bad at all (except my oil dipstick has come apart). I went for an aftermarket larger windshield that is really helpful in the 30 degree riding, and I have the Givi rear trunk that I purchased from Dave. That stays on the bike all the time.
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #66
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sahara View Post
#2. When I am going on an overnight trip I use the Hard bags and then I take them off and bring them in the room. Try that with your Harley...
I have almost 5000 miles on the Norge and I have not experienced anything bad at all (except my oil dipstick has come apart). .
Oh yeah, well the only dipstick problems I have had with my Harley is the ones I have met on the road....

I like the Norge, nice bike.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #67
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Oddometer: 4,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT_Driftwood View Post
Congrats on the new bike! The Norge is the best looking sport-tourer currently made, IMO. Yours looks great in black! I came very close to pulling the trigger on a leftover '07 a couple years ago. The dealer offered me a great deal but I needed some time to mull it over, and the next thing I knew the dealer had given up the Guzzi franchise. Now I don't know if there is a decent Guzzi dealer in upstate NY at all.
The only bad part of Guzzi ownership is the weak dealer network. Less dealers than BMW and BMW is weak in that area! When I lived in Iowa there was one Guzzi dealer, since gone. Whereas with Honda or Harley for example there are dealers galore. It is the only reason I don't own a Guzzi! Of course I have owned many BMW's as well. But. Because of the weak dealer network they have would not consider a new one. Now, on the airheads it is a little different as they are easily worked on.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #68
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
Oh yeah, well the only dipstick problems I have had with my Harley is the ones I have met on the road....

I like the Norge, nice bike.
Some have called me a dipstick! That's okay. I like to think of myself as someone that dips the stick!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #69
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by durtwurm View Post
Because of the weak dealer network they have would not consider a new one. Now, on the airheads it is a little different as they are easily worked on.
And Guzzis are not easy to work on?
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #70
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
And Guzzis are not easy to work on?
The older ones are easy, yes. And I didn' mean to leave them out. All newer bikes are generally a bit more problematic regardless of brand. The Guzzis and oilhead BMW's at least have easily adjusted valves.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #71
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
A new Guzzi is pretty easy to work on. Changing a tire is more of a pain than installing a Power Commander or adjusting the valves. Unless it's a rear tire, then the single sided swingarm makes it awfully easy.

Point being, a new Guzzi isn't exactly cutting edge technology. Pretty solid and evolved design.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #72
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninVT View Post
A new Guzzi is pretty easy to work on. Changing a tire is more of a pain than installing a Power Commander or adjusting the valves. Unless it's a rear tire, then the single sided swingarm makes it awfully easy.

Point being, a new Guzzi isn't exactly cutting edge technology. Pretty solid and evolved design.

True, but anything with fuel injection complicates things a bit. I know a savvy owner can work on them but carbs are much easier. I know the old Bings on BMW's are a piece of cake.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #73
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,388
Great bike! Dave and folks at Moto-Intl are fantastic.

I'd rather have Fuel Injection than a carb any day.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #74
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by durtwurm View Post
True, but anything with fuel injection complicates things a bit. I know a savvy owner can work on them but carbs are much easier. I know the old Bings on BMW's are a piece of cake.
You know, I used to feel the same way. Then, I got a used '00 model Quota in 2004. I took it in to have the efi adjusted not long after buying it... I never had to adjust it again. Then, I got a used '04 Nero Corsa in 2006. I've yet to have the efi worked on with that bike.

The point is, I was reluctant to go efi after having such good luck with carbed bikes. But, as it turns out, my experience with efi (on bikes and on cars) is that once set, it's set... It's been a painless transition.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:11 AM   #75
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,059
waterproof bag liners

my wife twisted my arm and made me take her to the flea market. While I was there, I picked up some waterproof bags from a guy selling army surplus stuff. I think I got three of them for something like $10.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote